Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

3D Printed RF Range Enhancers up on Thingiverse

Wildseyed

Reaction score
Last edited:
I like the design, probably the best mounting of any of them that are out there but I wonder wrapping each antenna in more plastic might have a ill effect? The other thing about these
Parabolic Range refecters they don't work for everyone. They have been around for ages in the RC community so there must be something to them.
I would be interested in seeing a side by side of stock and using these to see the difference.

I made a cardboard "range extender" for my Phantom 2 Vision some time back - and it actually seemed to give me some more range (hence the name "range extender" I would guess . . ). It was a funky build, but cost me nothing (and I like free).

I've thought about making a couple for my XSP, except I'm totally happy with the range I'm getting stock.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
If designed properly, they focus more radiated energy from the transmitter to the antenna. A parabola has a useful quality that any line (signal) that is perpendicular to its horizontal axis will create a reflected angle that traverses a single focal point. For this to work in a reflector, the curve must truly be parabolic, and the center of the antenna must be placed at the focal point. This was not the case in v1. V2 had the antenna hole in the wrong orientation. V3 is up now, and I think it will be the final version. I'm printing one right now, but have to jet off to work. I will post results tomorrow when the second one is printed.

I like the design, probably the best mounting of any of them that are out there but I wonder wrapping each antenna in more plastic might have a ill effect? The other thing about these
Parabolic Range refecters they don't work for everyone. They have been around for ages in the RC community so there must be something to them.
I would be interested in seeing a side by side of stock and using these to see the difference.
I'm not concerned with extending the range of the XSP, but rather address the FPV pixilation and constant video disconnects. Realizing environment has much to do with it, just trying to improve overall performance. Do the simple antennae provide some relief in this regard?

Transmission strength is mostly determined by the orientation of the vehicle's antenna relative to the controller's antennas. Case in point, I can be just a couple of feet from the bird and still get video drops. What the reflectors do is to focus energy from the transmitter that would otherwise pass by the antenna. The down side is that you lose omni directionality of reception, and have to keep your reflectors pointed directly at the bird.

Transmission strength is mostly determined by the orientation of the vehicle's antenna relative to the controller's antennas. Case in point, I can be just a couple of feet from the bird and still get video drops. What the reflectors do is to focus energy from the transmitter that would otherwise pass by the antenna. The down side is that you lose omni directionality of reception, and have to keep your reflectors pointed directly at the bird.
Thanks, hence the comment "Your mileage may vary"

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d