Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

A Common Problem with Aerial Photography

KentA

Reaction score
From the NY Post:

Houston, we have a very tiny problem. During a spacewalk at the International Space Station, an unidentified NASA astronaut forgot the SD card for his GoPro camera. The embarrassing moment was caught during a spacewalk livestream.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
LOL, I had to shoot aerials of the Air Force Academy and the entrance to the sensitive Cheyenne Mtn complex in Colorado Springs. I hired a video guy since it’s hard to do both from a helicopter on a tight schedule. TONS of coordination, permissions, scheduling, etc, etc. from both facilities. We fly-out from Co. Springs airport, get up there, I’m shooting my Pentax 6x7, I notice the video guy fumbling around. He forgot his BetaCam tapes. Camera was empty too. I was stunned #%@!#?! He wanted to go back and get them. I told him to just sit back and enjoy the view, ain’t no way we were going back... I didn’t pay him...

Reactions: KentA
LOL, I had to shoot aerials of the Air Force Academy and the entrance to the sensitive Cheyenne Mtn complex in Colorado Springs. I hired a video guy since it’s hard to do both from a helicopter on a tight schedule. TONS of coordination, permissions, scheduling, etc, etc. from both facilities. We fly-out from Co. Springs airport, get up there, I’m shooting my Pentax 6x7, I notice the video guy fumbling around. He forgot his BetaCam tapes. Camera was empty too. I was stunned #%@!#?! He wanted to go back and get them. I told him to just sit back and enjoy the view, ain’t no way we were going back... I didn’t pay him...
During the 1980 Winter Olympics I had the job of being the 1st to ski the men's & women's downhills + the 2 giant slaloms with a film camera mounted on my helmet. In the starting gate before one of the GS runs there were techs adjusting the helmet & camera for proper angle & lighting, others were rubbing my legs & checking the bindings, & a coach offering the latest snow conditions. Finally I was off, alone & skiing before hundreds of spectators. Beyond finish line another team was there to discover nobody had turned the camera on.

Last edited:
During the 1980 Winter Olympics I had the job of being the 1st to ski the men's & women's downhills + the 2 giant slaloms with a film camera mounted on my helmet. In the starting gate before one of the GS runs there were techs adjusting the helmet & camera for proper angle & lighting, others were rubbing my legs & checking the bindings, & a coach offering the latest snow conditions. Finally I was off, alone & skiing before hundreds of spectators. Beyond finish line another team was there to discover nobody had turned the camera on.
Wow!! Unbelievable!! You just trust folks to do their jobs, right??
I had enough instances like this that I became very anal about preparation. I got into Helo once for a doors-off shoot of a missile test at White Sands. I put the seat belt on as the Helo was warming-up. I tightened it harder than normal b/c I’d be leaning out — and it was still loose no matter what I did. It wasn’t bolted-in!! I pulled the whole thing out! I told the pilot to shutdown, pissing everyone off, until they saw me holding the unbolted end of the seat belt! Ever since that day, I un-Velcro Helo seats and check the bolts, if the doors are off, or slid-back, I wear 2 seat belts!!

LOL
I know that feeling :)
The Mavic Air has a extra internal storage just in case for that very reason. Nice option all UAV's should have.
Same here. That’s a great feature. I bet most everyone on this forum has flown w/o an SD card at least once :). I unfortunately drove about 30 miles in Hawaii to try to shoot some whales only to find I had no cards at all. No stores. I flew anyway, LOL. No whales showed, they must have known...

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
I have only done it once. My android phone has a 9 gig card in it and will work as long as I just do 1080. It is just a matter of popping the back off my phone and its right there. I have plenty of spares inside the X-stars case but I hardly ever take the case.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
This is why I ALWAYS refuse to do aerial wedding shots....can you imagine screwing up some poor couple's special day for all eternity with a forgotten or corrupt SD card...omg! I can always return (and have) to re-shoot properties!

This is why I ALWAYS refuse to do aerial wedding shots....can you imagine screwing up some poor couple's special day for all eternity with a forgotten or corrupt SD card...omg! I can always return (and have) to re-shoot properties!

With the divorce rate the way it is heck you could be making lots of money off the same couple LOL

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58