Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Advise for water routes?

Coffee999

Reaction score
This fall once colors are close to peak, I will be doing some shooting over water, lakes/streams. I know the obvious risks, but anyone have any advise that might not be obvious? Can I expect about the same level of reception over water? Thanks

Watch your battery life. Set your low battery go home to 30%. Set your go home altitude to 400 ft. Do a compass cal EVERY TIME. Other than that, she'll be fine.

Reactions: ElectricPickle
With the newest beta you only have to do a compass recal once until it tells you to do it again.

With the newest beta you only have to do a compass recal once until it tells you to do it again.
eeeeh, I'll spend an extra 30 seconds, just for piece of mind. I recalibrate every time I change to a new location. Then, I'll not recall subsequent flights, until I move again. I don't run the v2.x firmware. Others may choose to wait for the "official" release, like me as well. So, I wasn't assuming he was on v2.

When you finally run the new firmware you will wonder why you never did it before hand. It is a 100% difference then 1.1.3.
When you get the final on your X-Star autel recommends to calibrate once and that is it. Only time you need to recalibrate is when the App tells you need to. I have had all Beta versions on my X-Star. Did the very first calibration and it has flown perfectly. I have traveled many miles from home and it flies perfectly. Get one good calibration and be done with it.

When you finally run the new firmware you will wonder why you never did it before hand. It is a 100% difference then 1.1.3.
When you get the final on your X-Star autel recommends to calibrate once and that is it. Only time you need to recalibrate is when the App tells you need to. I have had all Beta versions on my X-Star. Did the very first calibration and it has flown perfectly. I have traveled many miles from home and it flies perfectly. Get one good calibration and be done with it.
I keep seeing complaints of video signal loss, and reduced distance to terminal controller connection, after the update. I also enjoy the "coast to stop", in some instances. Others, not so much. Maybe I'll update Woodstock, and leave Snoopy on the old firmware. Wouldn't be so hesitant, if you could downgrade, ya know?

Just a habit I have but I will recalibrate the compass anytime I travel 100 miles or more from the last time I flew it. ;)
I love the Getterback and would have gotten it but it won't work where I'm going (white waters on the Salmon River in Idaho). Doubt anything would help me there with going into the water. I agree with the calibration and I do calibrate more often than Autel tells me I need to. Better safe than sorry right?

I have no problems with the new beta firmware, having spent 10-20 hours testing it since then. So many things big to little seem so much better and I am much happier with it. Initially there was a problem that kept me from flying way points, orbits, etc., but a few days later that was solved.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller