Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel Global VP Jon McBride leaves

Limewood

Reaction score
The comment about Jon McBride leaving Autel last week appeared in a SkyeBrowse notification.

I wonder what's up with that. With Autel focusing on Enterprise drones and McBride being hired to work specifically in that environment, it tells me Jon might have found a better fit for him personally.

It's frustrating that Autel is being so tight lipped about their future intentions.

I wonder what's up with that. With Autel focusing on Enterprise drones and McBride being hired to work specifically in that environment, it tells me Jon might have found a better fit for him personally.

It's frustrating that Autel is being so tight lipped about their future intentions.
Here is McBride’s announcement. He is just stepping down to do the things he does best.

Reactions: bndrones
Sounds like a familiar story from Drone Jesus (Jon McBride). The Chinese management style is not really compatible with the American management style. At least not in the long term.

I would never last in the corporate world. Most people in that environment are small cogs in a giant machine. There are exceptions of course but as a general rule, that's how corporate works.

It sounds like his new independent gig as a consultant will fit him so much better with so much more freedom to actually effect a positive difference.

Reactions: Limewood
Here is McBride’s announcement. He is just stepping down to do the things he does best.

He mentions the "DFR" program. It apparently is about law enforcement. Can someone explain what DFR is and how it works beyond line of sight? The way he is talking, they deploy drones as soon as some incident happens. But how is that possible unless drones are already in the air around the clock?

He mentions the "DFR" program. It apparently is about law enforcement. Can someone explain what DFR is and how it works beyond line of sight? The way he is talking, they deploy drones as soon as some incident happens. But how is that possible unless drones are already in the air around the clock?
Permanent waiver with secure charging boxes with drones ready to take off much like military pilots are on standby at the airstrip. Of course these drones have a limited speed and area they can cover so they will have to be spread around a given area. They would only be for reconnaissance. A low altitude eye in the sky like we see in TV shows and movies all the time now. In the future they might be able to do more, like send an emp signal or have loudspeakers built-in so someone can speak through them. They could be used for their thermal capabilities to find lost souls or runners. They could distract and delay a runner to give cops more time to catch the runner.

I've seen videos where the runner spots the drone and just gives up because he knows he can't get away at that point. The only catch is the cops have to get there before the drone's battery causes it to land (low power). The on-site cops can always pick it up and bring it in. Another drone with a fresher battery could take over as well.

The possibilities are nearly unlimited. The limit is the current technology, especially battery technology. Then there's the really expensive drones like the Dragonfish that can fly for hours.

I can envision a time when satellites shoot a focused beam of energy directly to a drone to recharge the battery. It's what I can't imagine that excites me about future tech.

Permanent waiver with secure charging boxes with drones ready to take off much like military pilots are on standby at the airstrip. Of course these drones have a limited speed and area they can cover so they will have to be spread around a given area. They would only be for reconnaissance. A low altitude eye in the sky like we see in TV shows and movies all the time now. In the future they might be able to do more, like send an emp signal or have loudspeakers built-in so someone can speak through them. They could be used for their thermal capabilities to find lost souls or runners. They could distract and delay a runner to give cops more time to catch the runner.

I've seen videos where the runner spots the drone and just gives up because he knows he can't get away at that point. The only catch is the cops have to get there before the drone's battery causes it to land (low power). The on-site cops can always pick it up and bring it in. Another drone with a fresher battery could take over as well.

The possibilities are nearly unlimited. The limit is the current technology, especially battery technology. Then there's the really expensive drones like the Dragonfish that can fly for hours.

I can envision a time when satellites shoot a focused beam of energy directly to a drone to recharge the battery. It's what I can't imagine that excites me about future tech.
Thank you. That helps. But what I don't really understand about this (and other drone big business technologies) from the FAA's stated purpose in prohibiting BVLS with "regular" drone users is the stated rationale that BVLS creates hazards on the ground. The idea is supposedly that a drone might fall out of the sky, drop on people, interfere with general aviation, etc.
I don't see any advantage that DFR has over regular drone users in regard to BVLS. It is just as likely that the DFR drones will fall out of the sky, create GAA hazards, etc. as much as it happening to us "little guys"
So, they have a permanent waiver to do this, yet regular drone users must jump through huge hoops to get a waiver.
I find this hypocritical, and it almost seems like a conspiracy against the little guys in the industry.

Thank you. That helps. But what I don't really understand about this (and other drone big business technologies) from the FAA's stated purpose in prohibiting BVLS with "regular" drone users is the stated rationale that BVLS creates hazards on the ground. The idea is supposedly that a drone might fall out of the sky, drop on people, interfere with general aviation, etc.
I don't see any advantage that DFR has over regular drone users in regard to BVLS. It is just as likely that the DFR drones will fall out of the sky, create GAA hazards, etc. as much as it happening to us "little guys"
So, they have a permanent waiver to do this, yet regular drone users must jump through huge hoops to get a waiver.
I find this hypocritical, and it almost seems like a conspiracy against the little guys in the industry.
The big guys are far more likely to carry insurance and know what they are doing than a recreational pilot.

Does that factor into their thinking? Probably have to ask an FAA rep.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fischcrazy