Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel is out of business

Autelguy

Reaction score
Most businesses sell something. Autel hasn't had drones to buy from their website in over 4 months. This included the past holiday season!

Walk into a BestBuy and ask what's going on with Autel. The answer is we're clearing them out. Most honest sales reps will tell you not to buy since you won't be able to find parts and batteries.

Autel has posted zero information since their mock exhibition at CES for the EVO nor will it come to market. Their single biggest problem is bad business management. It's only a matter of time before their orange birds become obsolete. You won't be able to buy batteries nor spare parts. Batteries don't last very long before needing to be replaced. If you can find them, they'll cost more than your bird. What sucks is that this website forum will eventually go away as well as its dedicated to just autel pilots. Sad, because It's a good forum with many helpful users.

Ask yourself this..has anyone from Autel ever posted on this forum? A site dedicated to their own products. Has Autel ever bothered to request feedback from their own customers on how they improve their products or service?

Bad management is the reason 3dr and many other have failed. It's why Hobbico is going under as well.

The reality is staring all Autel owners in the face. I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but tell me I'm wrong and why.

Well, I have hopes the Evo will come to fruition:
1) I don't believe Autel would have spent the $ to exhibit at CES unless they planned on the release.
2) The last 2-3 days Autel has posted twice regarding the Evo on Twitter, Instagram etc.

That being said, there sure seems to be a lot of people giving up on the Evo and going elsewhere. I too, wish Autel would try to give more definite info on the launch date... but also understand why they don't, based on the failure to release x star 'updates'.
Since I am not in the immediate market for another drone I will wait a while to see if the Evo shows. Also, Autel's response when I asked them directly how long they will repair and have parts for the X star, indicated that they will continue support until at least the last warranty is over. That is at least 1 year away. But.... it appears parts (including batteries) are becoming harder and harder to find.
Dang... what a mixed bag!

I sent Autel a note asking about support and supplies and have not heard back yet. I told them that if they stop producing the x-star or at least parts and batteries and my drone becomes a paper weight I'm going to be really unhappy. I've only had my X-star for around 10 months and they should have not sold me one if they had any indication they couldn't support it for years to come.

Will post what they reply if I get one.

jjp

Reactions: eerie54
The reply I got for Autel. Doesn't sound to promising to me.

Thank you for reaching us at Autel Support!

We have stopped manufacturing the X-Star Premium. It has been out on the market for a solid 2 years and we understand people's appreciation and overall happiness with the X-Star Premium. We are very proud to hear all the stories from people on how much they have enjoyed flying the X-Star. We are still fully supporting the X-Star and honoring warranties and offering repair services and support. We also will be making batteries and some accessories for the X-Star Premium. We are moving forward and trying to keep up with the ever changing drone/robotics technology and also exceeding customer's expectations. We also realize that our growth is due to our loyalty of our customer's and the quality of our product. We want to keep that always in mind as we look forward to the future.

Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions.

Happy flying and fun adventures!

Regards,

Sarah M

Customer Support

AUTEL ROBOTICS

Funny, I look at the reply and I thought it looked promising. "We are still fully supporting the X-Star and honoring warranties and offering repair services and support. We also will be making batteries and some accessories for the X-Star Premium".
The rest of it seems to indicate that the Evo is forthcoming... although I did some interpretation here.

Guess I'm not sure how to take it. I'll be happy when I see batteries back in stock.

Autel is not out of business or planning on going out of business. I can only imagine how frustrating the situation is for them. Likewise, one would be a fool to think that Autel would, and is, replying to any inquiry they get, continuing to make repairs and support, paying a huge amount of money to go to CES, while they are going out of business. If/when businesses are going under, they drop off of radar. That is not happening with Autel. In the past few weeks, the Autel forums have had a number of posts in which people have praised Autel and their customer service. Again, that wouldn't be happening if Autel was going out of business. Finally, the last thing that Autel (or any similar company) needs right now is to have impatient speculators get on forums and start posts by saying 'Autel is going out of business'. If a person is frustrated with things, that is understandable. But to get on a forum and make such a bold statement (as Autel is going out of business) is irresponsible, disrespectful, and senseless. It's definitely a poor way to say thanks to a company for all their efforts to provide top notch customer service up to this point. I am new on this forum, and I must say that I am disappointed as I read such negative speculation from such unreliable sources.
Oh yes, sales people at Best Buy have NO inside information or expertise about the companys' whos merchandise they sell. Whether it be a Autel drone, an LG TV, or a Maytag dishwasher, the sales people don't know any more about those companies than they need to know in order to sell the product. I once had a car salesman tell me that no more convertibles (of any brand) were going to be sold because they are too dangerous. A salesperson is going to tell you whatever they need to say, in order to get you to purchase whatever is on their shelves TODAY. That's because they know that, if they don't sell you something today, it's unlikely that they will sell you something later. To make a post (stating that a company is going out of business), because a sales person said it was going out of business, is simply foolish and misleading.

Last edited:
Twitter:
Autel Robotics
We will be showcasing the new Autel Robotics EVO in Orlando March 7th & 8th during the IWCE expo. You can find us in the Drone Zone or at booth #925

Facebook:
We will be showcasing the new Autel Robotics EVO in Orlando March 7th & 8th during the IWCE expo. You can find us in the Drone Zone at pavilion #481 or at booth #925

IWCE exhibitors list:
Autel Robotics USA LLC
Booth: 481
www.autelrobotics.com

Contact This Exhibitor
  • Bothell, WA
  • United States
.. hardly looks like Autel is going out of business.

BTW: When did Autel say they would release the Evo while at CES? If I recall they said the end of first quarter or in second quarter. If I am remembering correctly then, while this is not a release, it appears to me Autel just might still be on schedule.

Last edited:
Ask yourself this..has anyone from Autel ever posted on this forum? A site dedicated to their own products. Has Autel ever bothered to request feedback from their own customers on how they improve their products or service?
Yes, but generally we like to keep the communication on our official FB group that is moderated by us. I do stop-by once in a while.. I can assure you we are not even close to going out of business, but expanding and hiring. Sorry I can not give you a hard date on when the EVO will be out, but rest assured it is close.

One heck of a good post Alan-AR.... thank you.
Please consider posting this information at twitter, facebook, etc.

this thread should be posted as a question, not as a statement of fact. answer me this, why are calolina drones, b&h photo, drone works etc taking preorders. bring facts not this irresponsible nonsense.

Last edited:
Ever since January 1, and this years' (2018) CES show, the amount of negative speculation about Autel has been both amazing and disappointing to me. People (on the forum) who have been satisfied Autel owners, and who have praised Autel, suddenly found it easier to be impatient and negative as Autel has constantly assured everyone (via personal messages) that they are here to stay. A few (speculative) forum members expressed that Autel's behavior was/is similar to that of a company who is going out of business. In fact, that couldn't be more wrong. A company who is going out of business drops out of sight. They don't communicate with past customers, and they don't showcase a new product for future customers. They don't bother sending ALL their employees to the extremely expensive CES show, and they don't spend money by going to CES so that they can lie to future customers about a product they don't really intend to produce!. Unfortunately, we see similar pessimism in many areas of our modern society in which we have become accustomed to expect 'instant gratification'. I'm sure that, if Autel kept selling XSP drones (until the day the EVO is available), then there would be many people who would be angry because they were sold an XSP while they could have purchased a much more capable product - if the manufacture would have been more open about the new product. But, in fact, Autel has been VERY open, very honest, and has accurately given us good reasons to wait as their new product reaches the market. Also, marketing today, (especially for such a highly coveted product), is more complicated that the average person understands. They are dealing with an International market. I know of two people in Indonesia, who are presently DJI owners, who can hardly wait to put their hands on a new Autel aircraft. Both people say the same thing: "We don't want an XSP because we already have Phantoms, and they are very similar. Instead, we want something (from either DJI or Autel) that is significantly better than anything else they can get now (for the same price)." In fact, they know that I will probably see the EVO before they do and they are both prepared to have me purchase their aircraft here in the U.S. for them.
Nearly all of us share the same interest and passion in droning. But, it has been disappointing to see just how many people are ready to throw in the towel because they haven't received instant gratification.
I have an idea: How about putting the same amount of time and energy into supporting and looking forward to the new EVO, rather than putting time and energy into looking for reasons to get on a forum and pronounce a company 'doomed?'

Ever since January 1, and this years' (2018) CES show, the amount of negative speculation about Autel has been both amazing and disappointing to me. People (on the forum) who have been satisfied Autel owners, and who have praised Autel, suddenly found it easier to be impatient and negative as Autel has constantly assured everyone (via personal messages) that they are here to stay. A few (speculative) forum members expressed that Autel's behavior was/is similar to that of a company who is going out of business. In fact, that couldn't be more wrong. A company who is going out of business drops out of sight. They don't communicate with past customers, and they don't showcase a new product for future customers. They don't bother sending ALL their employees to the extremely expensive CES show, and they don't spend money by going to CES so that they can lie to future customers about a product they don't really intend to produce!. Unfortunately, we see similar pessimism in many areas of our modern society in which we have become accustomed to expect 'instant gratification'. I'm sure that, if Autel kept selling XSP drones (until the day the EVO is available), then there would be many people who would be angry because they were sold an XSP while they could have purchased a much more capable product - if the manufacture would have been more open about the new product. But, in fact, Autel has been VERY open, very honest, and has accurately given us good reasons to wait as their new product reaches the market. Also, marketing today, (especially for such a highly coveted product), is more complicated that the average person understands. They are dealing with an International market. I know of two people in Indonesia, who are presently DJI owners, who can hardly wait to put their hands on a new Autel aircraft. Both people say the same thing: "We don't want an XSP because we already have Phantoms, and they are very similar. Instead, we want something (from either DJI or Autel) that is significantly better than anything else they can get now (for the same price)." In fact, they know that I will probably see the EVO before they do and they are both prepared to have me purchase their aircraft here in the U.S. for them.
Nearly all of us share the same interest and passion in droning. But, it has been disappointing to see just how many people are ready to throw in the towel because they haven't received instant gratification.
I have an idea: How about putting the same amount of time and energy into supporting and looking forward to the new EVO, rather than putting time and energy into looking for reasons to get on a forum and pronounce a company 'doomed?'

Very well said. There are only a couple ways to say "please stand by". A pre-order is just that. An agreement between your vendor of choice and you.

Most businesses sell something. Autel hasn't had drones to buy from their website in over 4 months. This included the past holiday season!

Walk into a BestBuy and ask what's going on with Autel. The answer is we're clearing them out. Most honest sales reps will tell you not to buy since you won't be able to find parts and batteries.

Autel has posted zero information since their mock exhibition at CES for the EVO nor will it come to market. Their single biggest problem is bad business management. It's only a matter of time before their orange birds become obsolete. You won't be able to buy batteries nor spare parts. Batteries don't last very long before needing to be replaced. If you can find them, they'll cost more than your bird. What sucks is that this website forum will eventually go away as well as its dedicated to just autel pilots. Sad, because It's a good forum with many helpful users.

Bad management is the reason 3dr and many other have failed. It's why Hobbico is going under as well.

The reality is staring all Autel owners in the face. I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but tell me I'm wrong and why.
Autel is NOT out of business. A little slow perhaps, but still going strong.

Thanks for posting Autel. I personally appreciate it. But some of us remember everything from CES 2017, and in my opinion you owe us XSP owners an apology and an SDK (whatever shape its in) minimum.

A one inch, or greater (4/3) camera sensor on the xsp could have competed w the phantom 4 pro, inspire,...or phantom 5...not everyone wants a fold up pocket drone...

Reactions: Skudie
Yes, but generally we like to keep the communication on our official FB group that is moderated by us. I do stop-by once in a while.. I can assure you we are not even close to going out of business, but expanding and hiring. Sorry I can not give you a hard date on when the EVO will be out, but rest assured it is close.

Well,, like I said before. The EVO looks like it will be a neat little drone, but I'm disappointed that were not seeing an upgraded version of the XSP.

Also, not being told what kind of motors, or where to buy motherboards exc, for the XSP is disturbing to me.

These types of parts are available even on cheap little $80.00 drones. Even if I was flying a Phanton 2, I would still be able to buy any part I need for repair.

I bought my XSP in March of 2017, and I maybe have 25-30 flights on it. But it would be nice to know that I could buy parts in case of a crash; new camera so on.

I have no idea if Autel will be around in a year or two or not. Frankly, it is likely true that neither does anyone else on this board. I have become increasingly concerned over the last several months, especially when they came out and essentially said they were not going to keep the promises they made at CES 2017 (Releasing the SDK, new camera hardware, etc.).

My concern, along with the seemingly unstoppable rate that DJI is pushing out new technologies and drones, led me to sell my X-Star Premium while Autel still has a solid reputation and resale value, and purchase a Mavic Air. It came in a few weeks ago, and I have to admit it is an impressive piece of equipment. My fear is that DJI will introduce a Mavic Pro 2 that is superior to the EVO and release it to the market long before Autel can get the EVO to the market, placing Autel's "latest and greatest" a generation behind the competition. In my opinion, the EVO is Autel's last ditch effort at consumer drones, and I'm afraid it will be too little too late.

I don't want to fuel speculation, but I visited the Autel Robotics CES booth this year several times, and I spoke with a couple of people involved in the SDK work for the Evo, and I had to do a double take on a comment one of them made when I said that the SDK was only for the Evo. He said "No. It will also work with the X-Star". I asked for clarification, and he said it could change going forward but it currently supported X-Star. Unfortunately I was having this conversation right as the raffle was starting, and I got a little distracted, and I did not pursue the matter further with him. I know it sounds like a Sasquatch sighting, but that's the truth.

Ya I also heard that the SDK from the EVO is something that should work with the X-Star. Since the EVO's firmware was supposed to be based on this last X-Star firmware update this might be true. This is right out of Kenneth AR's updates on the EVO.

"
The SDK will not be released for the XPS.

For the EVO there will be 2 SDKs:

1) App SDK, a set of libraries that are linked into an app

2) A JSON based SDK that will give much closer integration to the aircraft.

The later will be released to the open source community with the plan to have the community create operational libraries which can be used for industrial and advanced applications not covered by the app SDK.

The plan is to be aircraft agnostic. All Autel Robotics aircraft (fixed and rotary) will use the same SDK, abstracting the differences under the app SDK.

The JSON SDK will have some aircraft specifics because it is the native communications between the app layer and RC (the RC talks JSON).

The SDK for the X-Star became problematic. The expectation was the firmware update could enable the SDK functionality required to support 3rd party apps but once designs where completed there where holes that are not easily closed.

It was decided to focus on making the new aircraft include a more advanced SDK model and all efforts where refocused."

Reactions: Delta Blue

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy