Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Battery Repair - Sucess!

Wildseyed

Reaction score
I am happy to report that I have successfully transplanted a battery controller.

The patient had good cells, but the controller always reported double the capacity. CS declared it a "bad chip". I have another battery that was bloated when I bought thee bird used. I had taken this battery apart a while back to study the components for a possible rebuild, so it became the perfect donor.

From my previous teardown, I have perfected opening the case without damage. Not easy, but doable. Ask me, if you care to know how. I didn't stop to take pictures, but I can demonstrate with the other case.

I am happy to report that I have successfully transplanted a battery controller.

The patient had good cells, but the controller always reported double the capacity. CS declared it a "bad chip". I have another battery that was bloated when I bought thee bird used. I had taken this battery apart a while back to study the components for a possible rebuild, so it became the perfect donor.

From my previous teardown, I have perfected opening the case without damage. Not easy, but doable. Ask me, if you care to know how. I didn't stop to take pictures, but I can demonstrate with the other case.
YES! Post pix, or video. There will come a day, when in order to keep the orange birds flying, we will all need to know this. I had debated sawing and body work, versus prying, for a while now.

A video is coming soon. I have some free time this week.

I will demonstrate where the clips are located that hold the hood on, and how to disengage them without damaging the case. I will also show the tools I used to spread the case apart just enough to pull the guts out. Finally, I will show closeups of the boards, and how the battery goes back together.

I've got a new battery that arrived DOA. I've also got a bloated battery. Could a transplant make one good one???

A DOA battery could mean it has gone into sleep mode, past the recommended discharge. That might be kind of hard to get going again with out kick starting it. People feed 12 volts direct to the battery for 1 or 2 minutes at a time to get it back up to a voltage the charger will start to work again. Not recommended but there are plenty of videos on youtube on how it is done.
Having a bad board might be the problem but highly unlikely in my opinion.

Aloha, I purchased an xstar premium for an online law enforcement auction site. It came with one battery. I purchased a controller and charger seperately. The battery has zero charge. I read the above that suggest youtube, any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks Capt Phitz

Update: since I ordered new batteries I decided to take this one apart. I went under the interior motherboard and connected two test wires to the positive/negative wires, jumped them to a DJI battery and charged for 30 mins. Got enough power in the battery that it would now take a charge. Put it back together and now it seems to work fine, says it has been charged 17 times.

Last edited:
I've only experienced the zero charge problem on one battery. It's still dead. I've tried everything suggested with no luck in revival.

Hi Wildseyed,

Any word on that? Did you have the opportunity to create the video?
I am quite anxious to start transplanting my batteries but I am afraid to open mine and breaking them.

Cheers,

I hope everything is OK with Wildseyed as he was going to update this post with a video.
I really don't need a video on how to get the top off but I am interested in knowing what tools were used to spread the case apart just enough to pull the guts out. :)
I have great respect for lipos so if there is a easy way to take one apart I am all for learning how it is done safely ;)

I ended up with 4 bloated batteries, Autel came thru with 2 replacements and a new charger, do the new batteries require the firmware update?

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy