Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Battery Storage Question...

Coffee999

Reaction score
I've read just about everything here on storing batteries for extended periods of time. With winters here in MN it's possible my kit may sit for 4-5 months.

As I understand it, charging above 50% and storing is all that's recommended. Along with cycling the batteries once a month or so to be safe.

1. So what happens to the batteries after it self discharges to 50%? Does it continue to discharge or stop discharging?

2. How long can a battery be stored with a 50% charge without damage?

3. Should a battery that comes out of storage be immediately charged to full, use up any remaining charge, THEN be charged to full? Does it matter either way?

Thanks for any help.

@Agustine can you share your current LiPo setup for battery maintenance again. I have been surfing the web for a good charger/discharger and found some nice ones that even have PC based controls and setting capability.

The easiest and the cheapest way to store your batteries is to do this. Fly them down to 40-45 %. This should give you about 15.2-15.4 total volts. If you do a fast button push to check the number of LED's that light up you should see 1 solid and the next one blinking. I just went down to check two of my batteries I had in storage for over a month and a half. Both batteries had dropped to just a 1 solid LED so I threw them on the supplied charger for about 5 minutes to get the next light to start flashing again. Rechecked the voltage and both are back in recommended range of 15.2-15.4 volts.

Now if you have a after marked charger you can get one of these charge connectors for it.
Venom DJI Phantom 2/3 Drone Battery to Charger Adapter Plug

You then have the ability to discharge your battery by setting your aftermarket charger to discharge. You will need to turn the battery on for this to work.

You can also charge your battery with this method as the balancing is all done through the smart battery electronics.
I have found it is not any faster to charge the batteries this way. The stock battery charger is actually pretty fast but if you are out in the field and need to charge a battery most aftermarket chargers have a 12 volt hookup for you car or truck.

This is my little bomb shelter.

20170917_113107.jpg

I've read just about everything here on storing batteries for extended periods of time. With winters here in MN it's possible my kit may sit for 4-5 months.

As I understand it, charging above 50% and storing is all that's recommended. Along with cycling the batteries once a month or so to be safe.

1. So what happens to the batteries after it self discharges to 50%? Does it continue to discharge or stop discharging?

2. How long can a battery be stored with a 50% charge without damage?

3. Should a battery that comes out of storage be immediately charged to full, use up any remaining charge, THEN be charged to full? Does it matter either way?

Thanks for any help.

No reason to put the X-Star away just because its winter. I am up around Thunder Bay Ontario and fly all year long for the last 4 years. Some of my best videos have been during the winter :)

Just use a cooler with a hot water bottle, a 12v powered cig lighter cooler/warmer, or some other method, to keep your batteries cozy at about 70 deg f, until ready to use.

I found this self contained battery discharger on line & wanted to get some input from guys that discharge their batteries for storage or wont be flying anytime soon & discharge them for that reason. It's called Phantom Angel & the unit for the Phantom 3 should work. $89 + $9 shipping. Phantom Angel

Reactions: KentA
I found this self contained battery discharger on line & wanted to get some input from guys that discharge their batteries for storage or wont be flying anytime soon & discharge them for that reason. It's called Phantom Angel & the unit for the Phantom 3 should work. $89 + $9 shipping. Phantom Angel
Maybe it's the weather, but I am also pondering discharge for storage.

I found this charger / discharger with the AC input & am wondering if it would meet our needs?

It would require an adpter plug & since it is so inexpensive I would probably use it only to discharge.

Just use a cooler with a hot water bottle, a 12v powered cig lighter cooler/warmer, or some other method, to keep your batteries cozy at about 70 deg f, until ready to use.

I’ve been looking for a good method for preheating batteries. I like the idea of a hot water bottle.

Does anyone else have any tips for ensuring the drone and batteries are ready to go without having to eat battery life hovering low to get warmed up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kent, I have been looking at the same one & am going to get the same one, for $50, can't go wrong. The only problem i see with the charger is it ships from china, find one similar that ships from the states

Kent, I have been looking at the same one & am going to get the same one, for $50, can't go wrong. The only problem i see with the charger is it ships from china, find one similar that ships from the states
Thanks, I hadn't noticed the shipping location.
I've found several sources, all about the same price, & all in China.
I'll keep looking. Stay in touch.

I’ve been looking for a good method for preheating batteries. I like the idea of a hot water bottle.

Does anyone else have any tips for ensuring the drone and batteries are ready to go without having to eat battery life hovering low to get warmed up?

I use a small 12v electronic cooler/heater to keep mine warm. Generally, they do both, and adjust temp +/- 40° from the temp outside the box.

Reactions: eyeman56
I have a Venom Pro Quad charger, still new in the box, complete with factory seal. It was a warranty replacement, that I couldn't wait for the time to come back in stock at Venom, to ship to me. So, I bought a new one from a retailer. These sell for an average price of $280. It has 4 individual balanced chargers in it. Also discharge. It'll to lead acid, NiHm, LiPo, HV. Willing to sell it for $200 + shipping.

Thanks!

Do you recommend one?

Probably IGLOO, or COLEMAN. Any quality name in the biz. Any brand I reconmend taking the cover off the cooling intake for the fan, periodically, and cleaning out the dust bunnies.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigmaxsg