Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Battery Storage Question...

ORANGE CRUSH, KentA, Agustine & kroorda, thanks very much for sharing your valuable information on this topic. After having two batteries replaced due to swelling issues (completely covered under warranty, thanks Autel!), I started looking at how I was maintaining my batteries. Silly me, I actually thought that if there was an option for choosing a ten-day discharge rate, that it would be OK to use - obviously, as I have learned from you guys, that is a bad assumption! Thought I'd better start doing things right, so I went with the setup described by ORANGE CRUSH, and have been very pleased with it so far. The ISDT FD-100 Discharger couldn't be simpler to use, and seems to be built like a tank. I did order the scLinker interface cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XCZPLRX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, it works great and not only lets you adjust the target discharge voltage, but also lets you calibrate the FD-100. Mine was a little bit off right out of the box, even though the voltage was set at the default of 3.8 volts per cell, it was shutting down when it reached about 15.35 volts. After calibration, it takes it right down to about 15.20 volts(+/- 0.02 volts), which is right where I want it and is right about the point where the second indicator light on the battery goes from solid to blinking. Thanks again everybody for your guidance.

Reactions: KentA
Sundog, Glad to hear that everything works as i had described. I just ordered the SC Linker cable on E-Bay for $6.85, glad to know you tried it & it worked. My ISDT FD-100 is also a little higher than i wanted also on the final Discharge so it sounds like this is the correct thing to purchase & re-program for a lower voltage outcome of 15.2 v. Mine is also around 15.35 out of the box which is still very close. Thanks for the intel.

Just know if you have a battery issue do not tell Autel you have been using a discharger. In one of my emails I asked about dischargers and the CS guy said they would not warranty the battery. They only recommend setting the discharge times in the app which is total BS and we all know it :)

Reactions: KentA and Sundog775
Thanks man!! Nice to know, sure dont want to wait 3 weeks to discharge in the app, probably why they sell so many batteries.

Does anyone have experience with this charger?
iMAX B6AC Version 2 Digital $56.99 US$ (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZGZZ40K/ref=psdc_2234135011_t1_B00466PKE0)
It is sold by Amazon.com and seems to be highly rated. I presume you would need an adapter for the XPS, if so does anyone know where to find them? If one of you battery geeks wouldn't mind taking a look at the info on Amazon and rendering an opinion, I'd appreciate it.

Here is one from Amazon.ca $99.99 Cdn$ (https://www.amazon.ca/MEEDEN-Authen...8&qid=1519237447&sr=8-3&keywords=imax+b6ac+v2

Most of those chargers are pretty much all the same. Some are knock offs like my Turnigy. It works just fine and I am sure that one will work just fine. I do not recommend using it to charge as the stock charger does just as good if not a better job charging. That will work just fine for discharging. You will need a cable like the one in the picture.
20170122_092343.jpg

Venom DJI Phantom 2/3 Drone Battery to Charger Adapter Plug
813643028047.MAIN_1024x1024.jpg

Some of the guys on here are using these to discharge their batteries.

iSDT FD-100 80W Discharger [ISD-FD-100] | Cars & Trucks

Got mine today! Seems to be functional... however, cut off voltage is 3.85. Guess that's close enough? Cute....the cutoff beeper is Morse the letter B.

What amperage are all of you iSDT users discharging at? I'm thinking better to not push such a demand on the discharger. Anything above 3 amps for mine, causes the fan to scream at full speed, for the entire cycle. At 3 amps, it the fan stays on, but, at a lower speed. Anything less than 3 amps, I don't want to babysit it that long, which is why I purchased the iSDT, in the first place.

Guess that would be just a touch over 1C. Does your fan run full blast at that setting?

ORANGE CRUSH, KentA, Agustine & kroorda, thanks very much for sharing your valuable information on this topic. After having two batteries replaced due to swelling issues (completely covered under warranty, thanks Autel!), I started looking at how I was maintaining my batteries. Silly me, I actually thought that if there was an option for choosing a ten-day discharge rate, that it would be OK to use - obviously, as I have learned from you guys, that is a bad assumption! Thought I'd better start doing things right, so I went with the setup described by ORANGE CRUSH, and have been very pleased with it so far. The ISDT FD-100 Discharger couldn't be simpler to use, and seems to be built like a tank. I did order the scLinker interface cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XCZPLRX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, it works great and not only lets you adjust the target discharge voltage, but also lets you calibrate the FD-100. Mine was a little bit off right out of the box, even though the voltage was set at the default of 3.8 volts per cell, it was shutting down when it reached about 15.35 volts. After calibration, it takes it right down to about 15.20 volts(+/- 0.02 volts), which is right where I want it and is right about the point where the second indicator light on the battery goes from solid to blinking. Thanks again everybody for your guidance.
Funny...mine shuts off with 2 lites solid showing, and my Revoletrix meter shows pack voltage at 15.195.

I recently took 4 batteries that had been in storage since the end of November & been reduced by Autel's "smart" features to 3.82v or 17% as indicated by Starlink.

After reaching 4.17v (100%) using an Autel charger, they were discharged on the iSDT @ 1amp to 3.92v (69%). I assume they will continue to slowly discharge to 3.82v while back in storage, but did order the SC Linker cable on E-Bay that Orange Crush found.

Even at the 1amp setting, the iSDT discharger's fan ran intermittently.

Last edited:
LOL
In order to discharge it needs something to use that energy. On my aftermarket charger the fan runs constant. It cools the charger and discharges the battery. :)

Oh, I understand the mechanics of the iSDT... I just wanted to "take it easy" on it. Wouldn't be the first "appliance" with a fan, to burn the bearings out in the fan motor, from excessive duty.

LOL
In order to discharge it needs something to use that energy. On my aftermarket charger the fan runs constant. It cools the charger and discharges the battery. :)
Discharge is done through a resistor in the circuitry. The fan cools the resistor and circuitry as it discharges the battery.

Well i tried out my SC Linker hooked to the ISDT Discharger. I set it at a setting of 3770 mv storage setting with a 20000 mv input voltage which brought my batteries to a perfect storage of 15.25 volts. The ISDT Discharger from the factory will bring it down to about 15.35 volts but if you want it at an optimum level, get the SC Linker to adjust it to perfection. It's $6.85 on E-bay & delivered with tracking very fast. I believe a lot of our battery issues are related to batteries being discharged with the app. at to slow of a discharge storage rate. If you have problems figuring out how to use the SC linker, let me know & I'll walk you through it. This combination for unused storage of your batteries is Awesome! I Discharge at 5 amps which seems to work very well & in a fairly quick manner, although you can Discharge at a slower rate if you wish. Happy Flying!

Well i tried out my SC Linker hooked to the ISDT Discharger. I set it at a setting of 3770 mv storage setting with a 20000 mv input voltage which brought my batteries to a perfect storage of 15.25 volts. The ISDT Discharger from the factory will bring it down to about 15.35 volts but if you want it at an optimum level, get the SC Linker to adjust it to perfection. It's $6.85 on E-bay & delivered with tracking very fast. I believe a lot of our battery issues are related to batteries being discharged with the app. at to slow of a discharge storage rate. If you have problems figuring out how to use the SC linker, let me know & I'll walk you through it. This combination for unused storage of your batteries is Awesome! I Discharge at 5 amps which seems to work very well & in a fairly quick manner, although you can Discharge at a slower rate if you wish. Happy Flying!
Thanks Orange Crush. Mine has been shipped so I'll probably have problems & will gladly accept your advice again.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller