Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Drone avoidance ideas for aircraft

Flying skymaster

Reaction score
I am an Xstar owner who works in a R and D section of a business jet manufacturer. They are always pushing for new ideas for products we can add to the planes. Example , We have done things like put high def cameras in wingtips for taxi protection. We already have TCAS system for aircraft collision avoidance. How about Dcas? Drone detection during takeoff and landing times. Anybody have any thoughts on a receiver with antenna we could add? Or a transmitter that would power up within 5 miles of an airport?

All kinds of ideas. Unfortunately, it would just be noise, in a sea of more noise. And.. if anything ever did come of it, it would be better, and more effectively deployed at the airport.

Drones are too small for radar. There fore, it seems the only way to detect them, would be to listen for them on 2.4, 5.8, and 900 mHz. But, there are already so many other applications in use, within this portion of the radio spectrum. Unless you could filter everything out, but drone commands, and I don't think that's possible...to differentiate between RC telemetry, and everything else. I think it would actually be easier to listen for the air disturbance that 4-10 inch props make, in the atmosphere. Probably the most cost effective approach would be just spotting them, visually. Either with cameras, or binoculars. Perhaps biometric software could be employed, to quickly scan ahead, for anything the basic size, and shape, of a drone. Then, again....that probably wouldn't give much lead time, from an aircrafts perspective. Probably better employed at the airport, again.

But, I don't see much of a future for the technology, even if it was invented. More birds have caused plane crashes, than drones ever will.....and nobody seems to worried about rushing into technology to prevent that. And it would be a simpler feat to accomplish.

I see what you mean, I guess I have a hard time wanting to put much thought into it, since I fly no where near an airport, and have no will to want to either. Not sure why other people do. I live in rural area Nevada, my drone takes off up, goes out 200 feet and from my house and I am in wide open desert.

I was thinking it is only important when you would be at or near an altitude where you could encounter a drone, then have a narrow band receiver that can decode any video links looking for a drones altitude to compare with yours. Currently TCAS receivers are tracking any aircraft within 100 miles of you, listens to its digital altitude and direction finds on them plus determines their range and then does the math on what has potential conflict.

What about the sport flyers, and "beginners", without video links, or telemetry? The 8 year old kid, with the new $100 wonder, that knows nothing about the rules and regs?

What about the YouTube heros, putting their phantom up 2,000 feet, with a coke bottle full of water, doing those high altitude bottle flips?

Again, from my post above, doesn't look like anything is feasible. Besides, their more likely to just regulate drones out of the consumers hands, before long, anyway.

I do agree that bird strikes are a lot more likely and those are very rare. I do like your biometric shape scan idea though. When you have a company who wants to be known as always having cutting edge technology , they sometimes throw a lot of money at an idea just to see if there is anything possible

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials