Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Faa vests for pilots and crews

Flying skymaster

Reaction score
Faa Info 17018, recommends uav pilots and crews wear bright colored and reflective vests during flight operations with wording such as Drone pilot Do not disturb or Drone Pilot Stand clear.

If the FAA reinstates the safety vest requirement, I would highly recommend the company below. He has the lions share of safety vests in California of all types. I submitted my logo artwork with wording for the vests. However, I asked him what wording is best based on other drone orders and his experience. He was very helpful. e.g. I requested 'UAV', he said that no one really knows what that is and recommended 'Drone'. I asked for 'Certified'. He said people understand the word, 'Licensed' better. He is a drone pilot.

He said that using 'Drone' has not evoked irrational reactions based on feedback from drone operators. In fact, he said that almost universally the safety vests have reduced complaints from the public 90% because the vests look professional and are consistent with public works, construction, and other safety. applications.

Each vest is of high-quality materials with industrial zippers. They were about $55 each. I think I paid an extra $10 extra because they used my custom logo both front and back. I paid about $350 for 6 which were mixed with the two colors and Large & Extra Large. Two were for Pilots (I have 2 XSP's) and 4 for spotters in different colors and sizes.

The owner was very flexible and took last minute changes graciously.

The one test purchase from Amazon using another company was cheaply made although it cost less.
I called the company and they wouldn't do custom wording or logo artwork. You get what you pay for as usual.

I would highly recommend using a vest whether or not you are Part 107 Certified and running a business. The owner really convinced me that a vest looks like you are professional and know what you are doing. It also promotes safety because people are less likely to become belligerent and tap you on the shoulder to find out what you are doing there given some of the bad press about drones.

Operators told him of incidents of people interrupting the pilot and trying to verbally engage while the pilot was flying....an unsafe scenario for both the pilot and public. It also helps to protect your drone investment mitigating the risk of crashing.

Also, note that the spotter vests are very polite, 'Please Do Not Disturb'. The pilot's vest is an order, 'Stand Clear', which promotes greater authority.

The owner turned around my order in one week as promised.
Vest Back Forum.jpeg Vest Front Forum.jpeg

Safety vests for FAA registered and/or licensed/certified Part 107 and Part 333 drone (UAV, UAS, sUAS, unmanned aircraft) pilots

Reactions: dronechimp
They look very nice. I take it your making a great deal of money with your sUAS, but I think the "do not disturb" should be on the pilot's vest.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ranga