Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Flicker

rkyleh

Reaction score
I have a flicker in this on only on the far horizion. Can anyone tell me what cause's this?

Reactions: KentA
Looked like you just caught a bit of the prop shadow as you were turning.
Nice video, love the blue sky. Is that set to vivid?

EDIT:
Now I am not sure what it might be. Is it in the unedited video also? It still could be prop shadow I guess. Seems to have been a very bright day and the sun can play tricks on photography.

Gorgeous colors, beautiful country... I noticed a slight flicker in the dark area of the horizon around 55sec, but it’s not across the whole bright sky, or is it??

If you go to 1:20 in the video you see it again. If you look at were the ground meets the sky it seems to be blue also on the horizon. Looks strange to me. I wonder if this is happening in post? (editing software)

Last edited:
Reactions: HiloHawaiian
If you to 1:20 in the video you see it again. If you look at the were the ground meets the sky it seems to be blue also on the horizon. Looks strange to me. I wonder if this is happening in post?
I think you’re right. That’s pretty odd, never seen anything like it!

I just went back and looked at the original 2K footage and it is perfect. I am going to quit editing these video's. I had put a haze filter on it from Photoshop elements. That is the only thing I did but it put the flicker in the horizon. I will have to double check and see what settings I have on the camera. I thought I put everything back to factory settings and shooting in auto.

I went back and uploaded the video without any editing no flicker. I also checked my camera settings and they are on landscape and vivid. That is how I had it set in the desert before we moved. I am going to add a ND4 filter and set everything to factory settings and start over. I may end up with the same settings. The color around here may not need a boost.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Rkyleh. I don't believe that the flicker is a result of 'prop-shadows'. I shoot a lot of underwater video. Likewise, I edit nearly all my video (rather than making a viewer watch as the video runs it's entire length.) The flickering you are seeing is, in fact, a result of editing. May I ask what editor you are using? (Even the very best editors can cause flicker if/when conditions aren't just right). Color correction, contrast, and opacity are the biggest culprits. However, in some cases, it becomes necessary to use those 'effects'. So, look into your editing software and see if you can adjust the amount of correction that is applied. Also, make sure that your video editor is set for the same frame rate ('frames-per-second') that you have set the drone camera for. If the FPS differs between the two, then flickering can occur if ANY correction is made; no matter how small.

You have taken (and shared) some great shots. Keep up the good work! Where is the area that you have been taking the pictures? I live right on the border of Rocky Mountain National Park, so I have some great views around me. However, I need to keep my drone outside of the park. If I get enough elevation (above ground), I can still get some great shots of the Park, without crossing the borders.
Keep up the good work.

PS: A good friend of mine (who has more time than I do :) ) took and compiled the following video in 2016. I edited it for him, using Adobe Premier Pro.: drone colorado - Bing video
Note that after editing, we had similar flicker (to yours') in the segments between 5:07 and 5:14. Fortunately, we were able to eliminate the flicker by adjusting (down) the amount of correction that was needed to prevent too much sunlight in the clips.

Last edited:
Rkyleh. I don't believe that the flicker is a result of 'prop-shadows'. I shoot a lot of underwater video. Likewise, I edit nearly all my video (rather than making a viewer watch as the video runs it's entire length.) The flickering you are seeing is, in fact, a result of editing. May I ask what editor you are using? (Even the very best editors can cause flicker if/when conditions aren't just right). Color correction, contrast, and opacity are the biggest culprits. However, in some cases, it becomes necessary to use those 'effects'. So, look into your editing software and see if you can adjust the amount of correction that is applied. Also, make sure that your video editor is set for the same frame rate ('frames-per-second') that you have set the drone camera for. If the FPS differs between the two, then flickering can occur if ANY correction is made; no matter how small.

You have taken (and shared) some great shots. Keep up the good work! Where is the area that you have been taking the pictures? I live right on the border of Rocky Mountain National Park, so I have some great views around me. However, I need to keep my drone outside of the park. If I get enough elevation (above ground), I can still get some great shots of the Park, without crossing the borders.
Keep up the good work.

PS: A good friend of mine (who has more time than I do :) ) took and compiled the following video in 2016. I edited it for him, using Adobe Premier Pro.: drone colorado - Bing video
Note that after editing, we had similar flicker (to yours') in the segments between 5:07 and 5:14. Fortunately, we were able to eliminate the flicker by adjusting (down) the amount of correction that was needed to prevent too much sunlight in the clips.
Thank You, I went back and used the raw footage and there is no flicker in the new video. So it was editing that caused it. I think i may try to shoot shorter clips of interest and then just stitch them together. I lived in Co for 15 years and I think I may have walked in most of the same places that the video was shot in. Beautiful work by the way.

Flying in National Parks is only illegal if you take off and land on NPS land. If you take off from public or private property and fly over the park the FAA controls the air space not the NPS.

This is one of many posts from Legal News & discussion. He was flying over Fort McHenry from a city street.

"
I had a pretty interesting encounter with NPS Rangers this morning. I was flying outside of Fort McHenry from a city street. After I was done they came out. I kept it as polite as possible but also wasn't going to back down from what the established rules are.

ME: Good morning ranger, how are you today?
RANGER: Can I see your ID?
ME: not at this time, why would you want to see my ID?
ranger: because you were flying over NPS property.

ME: Why yes I was, but there's nothing illegal about that.
RANGER: You are not allowed to fly on NPS property.
ME: You are correct. That is why I am standing on a public Baltimore City sidewalk.
RANGER: That's still not allowed.
ME: incorrect. the memorandum states i cannot take off, land or operate from NPS property.

At that time, i pull out the printed 2014 memorandum, show him its from the director of NPS and the area I highlighted. I ask if he would like me to read it. He said yes. He then says over the walkie "He's flying from a public sidewalk." Another Ranger comes out in his vehicle. At this point I'm thinking that I've proved my point and this is getting ridiculous. Second ranger asks what I'm doing, i explain flying from public property according to the rule laid out by your NPS director. then...
2ND RANGER: Well you were flying out of line of sight.
ME: Incorrect, I could see my drone at all times and even regularly looked below as to not fly directly over people.
2ND RANGER: Baltimore City has an ordinance against drone and flying out of line of sight
( I have found no such ordinance)
ME: I have no knowledge of that ordinance but if they do, great, safety first and again I could see my drone at all times.
2nd Ranger: Once you go past that statue you cant see your drone
ME: Have you ever flown a drone sir?
2ND RANGER: no
ME. Then how can you tell me, a person who has been flying for 4 years that I couldn't see my drone in a clear sky with no visible obstructions. Also, that too is out of your jurisdiction as I am on city property.
2ND RANGER: Have a good day.
ME: You too, goodbye

I think it is very important that if you are flying near or over NPS property to have the memorandum with you as clear evidence of the rule. The encounter was mostly pleasant but I don't know how they would have acted if I couldnt prove their own rule right away."

You can find the memorandum here:
To:

This all is fine as long as there is no Critical Infrastructure on said land. If there is your pretty much screwed trying to fly there even with permission. It all falls under agreements between the municipal water districts, Army Corps of Engineers, Dept of Homeland Security, and the FAA and is legal under “special rules to protect infrastructure”. If you spend some time on the phone with the water agencies you can obtain full copies of the regulatory agreement.
Getting ahold of the right person to get permission is not very easy. They are not marked on aerial navigation charts.

Last edited:

Keep up the good work.

Awesome footage as well as editing!
Nice choice of music to sync with and just enough time for shot changes. Well done to both of you.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials