Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Flotation device

In the Saban era...... never really had a trophyClass FGkicker

absolutely...... that slow takeoff allowed one of the floats to stick and in flipped. I would launch that sucker W A O pen :)
Well, I asked my new pen pal, David Moser of DroneRafts, about the flipping video. He said they had “pretty extensive discussions with the pilot. One of my co-founders, Adam, posted a pretty detailed response that I believe is worth reading on an associated thread on the PhantomPilots forum. It’s 3 pages into the thread because we didn’t learn about that post quick enough. Go about 1/2 way down the page in the following link to see our response”.

P4 with Water Strider' flips into lake on takeoff

If you intend to float your drone with any design, it may be a good idea to read that post, pause you drone before takeoff, & keep the right stick in neutral.

I have that newer 2.0 WaterStrider on mine now. I have done plastic kiddy pool take-off and landings and the biggest thing I noticed is the wind does affect it much more. When I received it, I noticed that the spread of the WS was too narrow for the XSP, so I just gave it a quick twist to pop the glue loose. Then I set the spread for the XSP and strapped the landing gear with the Velcro straps. It holds steady and their is no interference with the camera. I'll try to get the missus to come outside and shoot a video of T/O and Landings. My pools are just wide enough to accommodate, so pinpoint practice is in the works!

Reactions: KentA
20170904_150559.jpg
open
This is how it is attached to the XSP. There is a small channel that the landing gear sets into. I have to resize my videos and then I'll get them on the board. This is my first try at this!

Attachments

• 20170904_150609.jpg
    20170904_150609.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
Thanks JD, Good photos, looks like the cross bar goes under the camera. When you say, I just gave it a quick twist to pop the glue loose, were you talking about that cross piece? Not seeing the video though, I put mine in google drive.

Here is a video of T/O and Landing. It shows how it is stable in hovering, but gets a good wobble if you simply release the right joystick as opposed to gently arresting forward/rear momentum. The last part shows that it can take a firm landing very well.

Thanks JD, Good photos, looks like the cross bar goes under the camera. When you say, I just gave it a quick twist to pop the glue loose, were you talking about that cross piece? Not seeing the video though, I put mine in google drive.
Yes, just one end of the cross bar is what I popped loose. The Velcro holds it all together afterwards.

Wow, it does have a good rocking back and forth to it.
Yes, only when you do an abrupt stop of motion. If you take the time to slowly stop, it doesn't rock that way. However, windy gusts will grab it!

Very good, you may just be the first person to attach a water strider to a X-Star. This may be a historic event!

I bought this for an upcoming vacay to Maui. I won't be needing pinpoint landing on the big water there...I HOPE! :eek:

View attachment 1111
open
This is how it is attached to the XSP. There is a small channel that the landing gear sets into. I have to resize my videos and then I'll get them on the board. This is my first try at this!

Thanks for the pictures, JimDogs. They help a lot.

So before you broke the glue, can I assume the cross bar came out of that black hole on the outside of the white, uh, manifold?

Your picture also suggests that there is a clip to detach the 4 legs for storage?

Thanks for the pictures, JimDogs. They help a lot.

So before you broke the glue, can I assume the cross bar came out of that black hole on the outside of the white, uh, manifold?

Your picture also suggests that there is a clip to detach the 4 legs for storage?

Yes, that is correct on the crossbar "black hole". And yes again on the legs detaching with clips. There are also color-coded bands on the legs that let you know which are front/rear.

Here is a video of T/O and Landing. It shows how it is stable in hovering, but gets a good wobble if you simply release the right joystick as opposed to gently arresting forward/rear momentum. The last part shows that it can take a firm landing very well.
LOL- You had it ringing like a bell. I would assume that would be dangerous close to the water's surface, but do you think that swinging action can jeopardize the drone at higher altitudes?

LOL- You had it ringing like a bell. I would assume that would be dangerous close to the water's surface, but do you think that swinging action can jeopardize the drone at higher altitudes?

I don't think of it much of an issue. As I mentioned earlier, take care to avoid abrupt stops or changes in direction to avoid the "Bell Ringing" motion. I'll have to post another video showing smoother transitions in flight movements.

I don't think of it much of an issue. As I mentioned earlier, take care to avoid abrupt stops or changes in direction to avoid the "Bell Ringing" motion. I'll have to post another video showing smoother transitions in flight movements.
Thanks again, JimDogs. I think I may acquire one of these to fly the river & explore the nearby ponds from a canoe.

Last edited:
So, the landing gear is slightly wider on the XSP....would you say an inch or less?

Yep OBD, it is about 1/4"-3/8" wider base. One could probably just squeeze the landing gear into the slots on the WS, but I chose to just open it up a bit so as to not stress the plastic.

Good idea, kinda funny that they said " we can send you an un-bonded mount fitting assembly and you can use some cyanoacrylate glue to get the perfect spacing."
What you did was much simpler. Did you re-glue the cross piece?

Not yet. I want to be sure it doesn't cause any issues with being unbalanced. I will though, for the long run.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy