Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Getting disheartened quickly...

QuadSquad

Reaction score
OK.... Needed a new back up drone for the biz. Purchased the XSP Rugged Bundle out of faith in customer service. I'm still running the original firmware that is new, as far as official firmware goes. I was really happy with the performance, as aside from "cry wolf" video interference warnings, I had no problems with ANY disconnects, other than flying well past what would be expected. I got more than 1.2 miles in open areas, and better than 1/2 mile in the city.

Lately, I've been plagued by app disconnects... even when only out 100 feet. I really got freaked out with an app disconnect, when about 2800 feet out over the lake, and I was standing on the shoreline. Never had this happen before. Only disconnect was from flying out of range. But, this new plethora of app disconnects, when flying an orbit around a clients home, on a real estate production, is starting to cost me waaaay too much time/money. Anyone offer a solution, before I'm forced to turn this thing into a business loss?

Last edited:
OK.... Needed a new back up drone for the biz. Purchased the XSP Rugged Bundle out of faith in customer service. I'm still running the original firmware that is new, as far as official firmware goes. I was really happy with the performance, as aside from "cry wolf" video interference warnings, I had no problems with ANY disconnects, other than flying well past what would be expected. I got more than 1.2 miles in open areas, and better than 1/2 mile in the city.

Lately, I've been plagued by app disconnects... even when only out 100 feet. I really got freaked out with an app disconnect, when about 2800 feet out over the lake, and I was standing on the shoreline. Never had this happen before. Only disconnect was from flying out of range. But, this new plethora of app disconnects, when flying an orbit around a clients home, on a real estate production, is starting to cost me waaaay too much time/money. Anyone offer a solution, before I'm forced to turn this thing into a business loss?

ive never had this issue, but, have you upgraded your OS inherently (andriod or IOS)? are you using an approved phone or tablet? (LGs seem to have issues)...try autel service, but i recommend you use a dedicated tablet and drone firmware, and once it all works....never never upgrade anything again.....i too fly for work, and i have the XSP as a backup to my dji p4p....the dji drives me crazy with upgrades...half the time, when i get to a site, something on the p4p needs and upgrade...i dont have time to sit around like a fool with a client watching and run through another firmware upgrade and reboot....i bring out my pumpkin and fly it flawless, cause its a locked and completely isolated system. i have the old firmware, and use a REPAD 8inch tablet that fits nice in the case....isolation is the key....NO beta firmware either, never!

try uninstalling starlink and reinstaldown, get it back....then lock it down. arto

Reactions: tony.palumbojr
OK.... all sounds good. No, I'm not running an "approved" device, but, aside from the video interference warnings, that never amounted to much, it never gave me problems in the first month. I uninstalled, and reinstalled the Starlink software. And, lightly cleaned the gimbal contacts with contact cleaner. Going out today, and will give it a whirl.

I would like to upgrade to the V2.x, when it gets released as official. I like the idea of better airbraking, and exponential. I have 2 XSP'S.... I'll only upgrade one, when I do.

OK.... all sounds good. No, I'm not running an "approved" device, but, aside from the video interference warnings, that never amounted to much, it never gave me problems in the first month. I uninstalled, and reinstalled the Starlink software. And, lightly cleaned the gimbal contacts with contact cleaner. Going out today, and will give it a whirl.

I would like to upgrade to the V2.x, when it gets released as official. I like the idea of better airbraking, and exponential. I have 2 XSP'S.... I'll only upgrade one, when I do.

good luck...as for the new firmware, im going to wait til an actual mapping program comes out...in terms of air braking, i think more aggressiveness puts more strain on the arms and motor mounts. cracks are a major downfall of phantom 3s. i like to think im pretty good w my controlling airspeed and yaw just w my thumbs. getting 99 waypoints instead of 15 is nice, but not worth the other hassles i hear folks lament on. good luck w getting your backup back up in the air....keep us posted.

Yes, I've had this happen. My new XSP worked great for about 2 weeks and then was plagued with the same app disconnect warning constantly. It didn't matter how close or altitude. I tried everything I could read about here in the forum and with supports continued advise. After a few days of this trouble shooting support advised to send the entire kit back to them and they would replace everything. They paid for all shipping. Tim and Jacob from support were great to deal with. I could have sent it back through Amazon, but decided to go through support since it was offered. My kit was only 2 weeks old. The replacement (new) kit has work flawlessly. Never found the problem but it doesn't matter now. Support was great.

What impressed me about their customer support is that I didn't even purchase anything yet but left a message for them to call me for some questions I needed answered and within 30 minutes they called back and answered them all. Because of that call, less than 2 hours later I purchased my X Star Premium.

Reactions: tony.palumbojr
OK..... Seemed to have gotten her running again, hopefully for a long time. I used contact cleaner, then, removed the residue, and polished with plain paper.

As for the battery issue I was having (too lazy to hunt my own post), a couple of emails back and forth with CS, in just a matter of hours, and turned out holding the power button for 15 seconds on the battery (out of the XSP) performs a hard reset... solving my problem. Awesomeness.

I have had Starlink disconnects with my Nexus tablet, and found that if I use a swab and some alcohol to clean the port of it before sticking in the usb plug, it stops or prevents it. I would still have connection with the RC, but the app would not. I ordered a package of alcohol swabs sealed individually in foil to keep with my X-Star case.

Reactions: Wrsdas
It may be that your usb connector wire needs replacement. I found that it helped to use a better usb. Keep the faith. It a great bird.

Reactions: Squirrel!
Use it for business almost daily and never a disconnect unless I was too far out.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials