Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

He told me I would be arrested

As he says in his notes, "don't do what he did". The best course of action would have been to say "thanks for the head's up; have a good day", and then do his research and then educate his neighbors and to the police at a time when nobody is agitated and ready to pounce on him. He did the right thing eventually, but messing with a cop (or even a neighbor/bystander) who's intent on being right no matter the cost, as this cop seemed to be, doesn't usually end up well.

I had to look up the privacy laws for my area when I first started flying here, and they are *very* restrictive. There is a *very* small "window of opportunity" to fly over your neighbor's houses without being charged with invasion of privacy. Glad it turned out ok in the end.

Yes you have to handle the situation the right way and keep your cool. Trouble is a lot of us get pretty defensive and things get turned around pretty fast.

Here is a good way a fellow flyer handled a situation.

"
I had a pretty interesting encounter with NPS Rangers this morning. I was flying outside of Fort McHenry from a city street. After I was done they came out. I kept it as polite as possible but also wasn't going to back down from what the established rules are.

ME: Good morning ranger, how are you today?
RANGER: Can I see your ID?
ME: not at this time, why would you want to see my ID?
ranger: because you were flying over NPS property.

ME: Why yes I was, but there's nothing illegal about that.
RANGER: You are not allowed to fly on NPS property.
ME: You are correct. That is why I am standing on a public Baltimore City sidewalk.
RANGER: That's still not allowed.
ME: incorrect. the memorandum states i cannot take off, land or operate from NPS property.

At that time, i pull out the printed 2014 memorandum, show him its from the director of NPS and the area I highlighted. I ask if he would like me to read it. He said yes. He then says over the walkie "He's flying from a public sidewalk." Another Ranger comes out in his vehicle. At this point I'm thinking that I've proved my point and this is getting ridiculous. Second ranger asks what I'm doing, i explain flying from public property according to the rule laid out by your NPS director. then...
2ND RANGER: Well you were flying out of line of sight.
ME: Incorrect, I could see my drone at all times and even regularly looked below as to not fly directly over people.
2ND RANGER: Baltimore City has an ordinance against drone and flying out of line of sight
( I have found no such ordinance)
ME: I have no knowledge of that ordinance but if they do, great, safety first and again I could see my drone at all times.
2nd Ranger: Once you go past that statue you cant see your drone
ME: Have you ever flown a drone sir?
2ND RANGER: no
ME. Then how can you tell me, a person who has been flying for 4 years that I couldn't see my drone in a clear sky with no visible obstructions. Also, that too is out of your jurisdiction as I am on city property.
2ND RANGER: Have a good day.
ME: You too, goodbye

I think it is very important that if you are flying near or over NPS property to have the memorandum with you as clear evidence of the rule. The encounter was mostly pleasant but I don't know how they would have acted if I couldnt prove their own rule right away."

I like how you handle the situation - very nice.

Also remember that that line of sight doesn't necessarily mean YOUR line of sight, next time you could have your brother or friend on the grounds of the park be your Visual Observer and communicate with you via radio.

"2ND RANGER: Well you were flying out of line of sight."

Yes you have to handle the situation the right way and keep your cool. Trouble is a lot of us get pretty defensive and things get turned around pretty fast.

I think it is very important that if you are flying near or over NPS property to have the memorandum with you as clear evidence of the rule. The encounter was mostly pleasant but I don't know how they would have acted if I couldnt prove their own rule right away."

Reactions: Mr $panky
That was not my post. I just posted it here for reference. As for having someone as your spotter that is no where near you is not legel. Your spotter can not use any equipment to help out or be talking to you throught RF communication. Look at the laws people. LOS does not mean you can have someone a mile away talking to you over a. Cell phone or twoway radio.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I hate bully fukn cops when he arrest you illegally as a citizen sue his *** so he can never work in the public again....

Geeks! Don't blame the cops. They are only doing their job and probably have gotten their balls busted by other people who don't like drones. I'm sure they would rather be doing other things than break balls about flying drones. I'm sure they were sent by someone else to handle it and didn't necessarily have the time or resources to question it or refuse to respond. By the way, it is nearly impossible to NOT fly over someone else's property. Is there an altitude restriction or is it infinite? If so, there are several airlines and private planes that fly over my house all day. Also, if a police helicopter flies over do they need a warrant?

I am a cop, and on this one I would have to agree with the resident. Not saying that the Deputy was wrong, as I am sure he received a call from some neighbor who was complain about this guy flying. The only thing I would like to add that I have ran into in the past, and have had to explain to people is the definitions of reasonable expectation of privacy, which is the biggest complaint that I have ran into with UAV flying over people's home. I am not sure what other's state laws are, I am in Nevada, ours says to be trespass by drone you have to be flying below 250 feet, and have fly over someone property more then once, and that owner has put you on notice that he does not allow you to fly over his home.

Yes you have Reasonable expectation of privacy within your home. However like my house, I have a backyard and a 4 foot chain link fence around it, behind my house is a walking trail. I do not really have a expectation to privacy within my backyard because without any effort anyone can look into my backyard. So if you are flying over someone house who has a brick wall surrounding it, yes it would up to that person to show evidence that you were flying below 250 feet, but I would say you were in the wrong.

this video does show little information other then with the intent to make LEO look bad. We really do not know what this pilot was doing. Was he flying well below 250 feet? Was he clearly flying over neighbor's home? was he flying over a busy street? Other then drones are so new that laws have not caught up, we still have others laws that would apply to this disturbing peace, obstructing or distracting other drivers.

Yes cops are dicks sometimes, and there are times where I do not want to sit and debate laws with people and will just simply tell them how its going to be, and then I have days where I am more then willing to debate with my type A personality.

My two cents are this. Dont debate with cops, understand that there might be some smaller infractions that you may have done which you could be charged for, and knows your laws around your area.

I guess I was a little harsh with my earlier comment,;) .. i find as you said, Residents, a play on words this has a legal definition and follows under legal obligation and duties as a "person" I find it strange that cops who aren't lawyers speak like lawyers without always knowing want is lawful and what is legal ... but your right as a person or a citizen or Resident you have no rights only the ones you exercise.. and cops can always find something to violate you or take your property, worlds full of gangs and criminals some wear badges some don't.
Fly safe and respect peoples privacy. :)

I guess I was a little harsh with my earlier comment,;) .. i find as you said, Residents, a play on words this has a legal definition and follows under legal obligation and duties as a "person" I find it strange that cops who aren't lawyers speak like lawyers without always knowing want is lawful and what is legal ... but your right as a person or a citizen or Resident you have no rights only the ones you exercise.. and cops can always find something to violate you or take your property, worlds full of gangs and criminals some wear badges some don't.
Fly safe and respect peoples privacy. :)

Vast majority do not wear badges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a cop, and on this one I would have to agree with the resident. Not saying that the Deputy was wrong, as I am sure he received a call from some neighbor who was complain about this guy flying. The only thing I would like to add that I have ran into in the past, and have had to explain to people is the definitions of reasonable expectation of privacy, which is the biggest complaint that I have ran into with UAV flying over people's home. I am not sure what other's state laws are, I am in Nevada, ours says to be trespass by drone you have to be flying below 250 feet, and have fly over someone property more then once, and that owner has put you on notice that he does not allow you to fly over his home.

Yes you have Reasonable expectation of privacy within your home. However like my house, I have a backyard and a 4 foot chain link fence around it, behind my house is a walking trail. I do not really have a expectation to privacy within my backyard because without any effort anyone can look into my backyard. So if you are flying over someone house who has a brick wall surrounding it, yes it would up to that person to show evidence that you were flying below 250 feet, but I would say you were in the wrong.

this video does show little information other then with the intent to make LEO look bad. We really do not know what this pilot was doing. Was he flying well below 250 feet? Was he clearly flying over neighbor's home? was he flying over a busy street? Other then drones are so new that laws have not caught up, we still have others laws that would apply to this disturbing peace, obstructing or distracting other drivers.

Yes cops are dicks sometimes, and there are times where I do not want to sit and debate laws with people and will just simply tell them how its going to be, and then I have days where I am more then willing to debate with my type A personality.

My two cents are this. Dont debate with cops, understand that there might be some smaller infractions that you may have done which you could be charged for, and knows your laws around your area.

Well stated.

In the first few seconds of the video it's obvious by the LEOs demeanor that he does not want to be there. He's acting because someone is complaining. If the drone owner wouldn't have had quite so big of chip on his shoulder he might have noticed that as well.

I think Drone Pilots that fly over heavy residence areas violate the law constantly. Would be very hard not to.

I'm blessed to live in a sparsely populated rural area. I only fly over a residence if the owner asks me to for pics/videos. I get a lot of requests to do that. I never specifically photograph anyone's property, buildings, land, livestock, equipment without prior permission.

I Back the Blue.

Reactions: dirtracer7207
Well stated.

In the first few seconds of the video it's obvious by the LEOs demeanor that he does not want to be there. He's acting because someone is complaining. If the drone owner wouldn't have had quite so big of chip on his shoulder he might have noticed that as well.

I think Drone Pilots that fly over heavy residence areas violate the law constantly. Would be very hard not to.

I'm blessed to live in a sparsely populated rural area. I only fly over a residence if the owner asks me to for pics/videos. I get a lot of requests to do that. I never specifically photograph anyone's property, buildings, land, livestock, equipment without prior permission.

I Back the Blue.
I do as well

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials