Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

How Hot ?

Eagle's Eye Photo

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
So a general question here... with high temperatures in ABQ in the 90s and triple digits forecast, what's the highest temperature you will fly in?

I'm speaking in terms of potential issues/damage to various components that have specific operating temperature ranges... i.e. motors, batteries... as opposed to personal comfort. ?

Last edited:
I fly in Florida at 90+ and a lot of humidity. I have never had an issue. I think the propellers are cooling the motors and the shell. However I changed the shell to another color than black.

I just flew 3 days of 90+ heat AND humidity, flew great. One thing I noticed the arms just behind the motor were wet, I think the props were cooling air enough to condensate in the arms

I fly here in Colorado, with temps right around 100 pretty often. Very dry though. I've flown my Autel Evo II Pro 6k many times, one battery after another with no issues. I'm not sure on max speed, but I've used it as a higher elevated chase camera to get shots of a car racing down a drag strip (*not* saying I paced it in the least, but I did have the drone at max speed - I'm guessing about 45 mph). Never have noticed any issues or inordinate heat.

That being said, I did need a faster drone to do some pacing shots and I use the DJI FPV for that. According to the readings in the goggles I've had it going about 85 mph, on a hot day, and ran through 3 full batteries one right after the other. With that little beast, I did stop after the 3rd battery (I got six because they only give me maybe 10 min of flight when being pushed like this) because the drone was 'hot to the touch' and I've heard of a number of operators suddenly having their drones cut out and die, so...

Good Luck!

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Photo
I appreciate all the replies, thanks!

@laheyjo that is very helpful, since we are both at similar height ASL... with the motors running at higher RPM for us, my concerns were exactly that... heat, the great enemy of all things electronic, as well as the chemical processes that power our LiPos.

So at approx 5000-5500 feet ASL that we are, what have your average flight times been? The few flights I have completed so far, have been in the 25-32 minute range... right where I expected.

I've not gotten the allusive 38 minutes others have said, but I do regularly get about 33-34 out of a full charge. If I take them up way into the rocks (11,500 to about 13,000 ft) you can tell it's working harder and I often find those times will drop to about 25-28 minutes.

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Photo
That sounds great! I attribute my shorter results in my being conservative right now and not stressing out the batteries, particularly in the first few flights... certainly not at $200 each.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kestrel