Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

I can't show 60 fps on my computer . . .

Tommy Molnar

Reaction score
Here's the problem. If I shoot in 1080 at 60 fps, I can't get my computer to show the video. Well, it does but it is jittery. But, on my wife's computer just across the room, she can show them just fine, and on my laptop I can watch them, but not on MY computer. Grrr. I'm running Windows 7.

I can also show the 60 fps vids on our Samsung SHD TV with no problem.

I don't even attempt any of the 4K stuff (which shows up as only a colored thin line at the top of the screen)

When I bought this Dell XPS Desktop with an Intel Core i7 Processor with 8 GB of memory in 2011, I wanted it so I could do video work. All seemed well back then. My wife's Dell (bought the same day) is an Inspiron one, which has the drives built into the monitor.

I recently went to my video card's website and found out there was an upgrade to the software for it. I downloaded it, installed it, and 'enjoyed' absolutely no difference. Grrr.

My question is, do you think I should look into a new video card for my computer? One with more pizazz? I'm not interested in buying a new computer - not just for this anyway. :mad:

Tommy, Throw a little bit more memory into your Dell XPS. I actually use a similar XPS for video process (HD Video) while using Adobe Premier Pro software. Believe me, you need memory. Another thing you might check is the graphics card in your computer. However, a slower graphics card will generally cause 'blurring' rather than pixelating. With the 'service tag' number on your computer, you should be able to go to Dell's website and determine exactly what TYPE of memory you need. I think that another 8Gig of memory should do it.

Tommy, Throw a little bit more memory into your Dell XPS. Believe me, you need memory. However, a slower graphics card will generally cause 'blurring' rather than pixelating. With the 'service tag' number on your computer, you should be able to go to Dell's website and determine exactly what TYPE of memory you need. I think that another 8Gig of memory should do it.

Thanks for the tips. Wifey just told me she only has 4 Gigs of memory - and she can see my vids! What's up with that? She can see this stuff and I can't... I was in Best Buy today and asked one of their computer guys about this. He was pretty cool about it. Didn't try to sell me a video card. Said I should check some forums for a solution (like I did here). I like the idea of contacting Dell and asking them. I wouldn't mind (too much . . .) buying a new video card, or some more RAM, but I'm not buying a new computer - ha. Grrrrr.

Your XPS with an earlier i7 processor is still a good computer and will still give a new i5 processor a run for the money! I do remember upgrading the graphics card on my XSP and receiving better results afterwards. You might look at getting both a graphics card and another 8Gb of memory. Both are relatively cheap and can be obtained from Amazon. (Nvidia makes some good graphics cards; all of which are better than the stock (Intel) card that came with the computer.

Thanks kroorda. This will be tomorrow's 'chore'. I'll check out what Amazon has to offer.

Btw, my video program has been Serif's Movie Plus x6. A bit clunky and non-intuitive (and now old!) but I kinda like it.

Home · MPC-HC
You might want to try this player here. Since I was led to it, I have had no problems playing back any file including 4Kers.

After much re-thinking of this 60fps stuff, I've decided to just let everything work at 30fps. My GoPro works at 30fps, both my digital cams are set to 30fps, and my game camera is set at that. As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I think I won't "fix it".

Thanks for all the advice though. When I'm sitting around with absolutely nothing to do, I may re-think this stuff again.

After researching upgrades for my computer as my kid complains some of his higher graphic games lag I found they suggest the first thing to upgrade is the video card. Second is ram. And third is one of those faster digital hard drives. Since all I am interested in is faster graphics I am looking at a higher end video card.
This one has very good ratings and is ion the price range I would spend on this old computer.
ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1060 AMP! Edition | ZOTAC

After researching upgrades for my computer as my kid complains some of his higher graphic games lag I found they suggest the first thing to upgrade is the video card. Second is ram. And third is one of those faster digital hard drives. Since all I am interested in is faster graphics I am looking at a higher end video card.
This one has very good ratings and is ion the price range I would spend on this old computer.
ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1060 AMP! Edition | ZOTAC

First, get your kid his OWN computer and keep him off yours (which is no doubt crammed with really good stuff - ahem).

I looked at that video card you linked to. They recommend a 400 watt power supply. I'm not sure, but I don't think my aging 'puter' has a 400 watt supply. But it sure looks cool! I like all the fans and heat sinks and stuff. Wish there was a window on the side of the machine where I could just look in and watch it working - :D

I know RAM is many times, the cure-all for lots of computer ills. Still thinking . . .

My son only spend 3 days a week with me so I can let him use my computer when he is here. :)
Trouble is I am just a big kid who likes faster graphics also.
Power supplies are cheap to buy. Most mom & pop computer stores have tons of used ones at discounted prices.
Our local country dump has a bin for electronic recycling. I take the computers out of there and strip them down. I get free ram, hard drives and power supplies. I use the power supplies for external 12 volt supplies for my RC chargers. :)

Reactions: Tommy Molnar
Here's the problem. If I shoot in 1080 at 60 fps, I can't get my computer to show the video. Well, it does but it is jittery. But, on my wife's computer just across the room, she can show them just fine, and on my laptop I can watch them, but not on MY computer. Grrr. I'm running Windows 7.

I can also show the 60 fps vids on our Samsung SHD TV with no problem.

I don't even attempt any of the 4K stuff (which shows up as only a colored thin line at the top of the screen)

When I bought this Dell XPS Desktop with an Intel Core i7 Processor with 8 GB of memory in 2011, I wanted it so I could do video work. All seemed well back then. My wife's Dell (bought the same day) is an Inspiron one, which has the drives built into the monitor.

I recently went to my video card's website and found out there was an upgrade to the software for it. I downloaded it, installed it, and 'enjoyed' absolutely no difference. Grrr.

My question is, do you think I should look into a new video card for my computer? One with more pizazz? I'm not interested in buying a new computer - not just for this anyway. :mad:
Have you looked at the specs on wife's graphics card? that might give you some insight.

Reactions: Hawkeye Alaska
The tallest bldg. down town is about 745ft..yes I fly over them, but this site here is more tricky..its restricted air space so its up you go, git your shot, and scamper back down.

My iMac 27” struggles with 60fps or anything 4k, but my iPad Pro handles the lot perfectly.

My iMac 27” struggles with 60fps or anything 4k, but my iPad Pro handles the lot perfectly.
What are the specs and what vintage is it? I have a 2015 i7 with 16 Gb ram with no problems at all, office i5 not so much.

Early 2010, but with top of the range processor for its day. The iPad Pro is 2017 model.

yeah that iMac is probably not going to cut it at all, maybe if you DL Resolve, there are a couple of YT videos that explain how to get good playback from 4K on otherwise incapable computers.
BTW resolve is free

Reactions: Nightbat2
yeah that iMac is probably not going to cut it at all, maybe if you DL Resolve, there are a couple of YT videos that explain how to get good playback from 4K on otherwise incapable computers.
BTW resolve is free
Thanks, I’ll check it out.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials