Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Is This Drone For You?

This drone has my attention for one reason -- the 21MP Sony sensor camera for only $699 -- with the same flight time as XSP. I really don't care about Optical Avoidance, I've crashed so many times that I've learned "most" of my likely crash scenarios. USB battery charging is great, if the times aren't too long, making car charging easy. The ability to shoot upwards is great too.

The lack of increased dynamic range is a red flag. I'm so sick of highlights being blown-out (white clouds!) if I expose for shadow detail, and visa-versa. I guess I'd have to pay a lot more to improve dynamic range. As Agustine said in another post, EVO seems overpriced for what you get. If it had this camera, OK, but it doesn't. I don't know much about Parrot -- any thoughts??

Reactions: Rawdog
After watching this video I am more impressed.
So am I !! But, I'd like to see video during BRIGHT sunshine with white puffy clouds and dark terrain -- the maximum zonal range -- and see if it's any better than the XSP. It should be with that sensor, but Parrot's SW controls the sensor's output and compression onto the card. I'm impressed so far, and it handled the wind very well too. It looks like a big phone is all the controller can handle, not even an iPad Mini, which is a downer...

Reactions: KentA
This drone has my attention for one reason -- the 21MP Sony sensor camera for only $699 -- with the same flight time as XSP. I really don't care about Optical Avoidance, I've crashed so many times that I've learned "most" of my likely crash scenarios. USB battery charging is great, if the times aren't too long, making car charging easy. The ability to shoot upwards is great too.

The lack of increased dynamic range is a red flag. I'm so sick of highlights being blown-out (white clouds!) if I expose for shadow detail, and visa-versa. I guess I'd have to pay a lot more to improve dynamic range. As Agustine said in another post, EVO seems overpriced for what you get. If it had this camera, OK, but it doesn't. I don't know much about Parrot -- any thoughts??
Looks cool and I agree for price vs gadgets, but single nonremoveable battery?? How many unlevel charges could this possibly take...???

Reactions: KentA
Looks cool and I agree for price vs gadgets, but single nonremoveable battery?? How many unlevel charges could this possibly take...???
you can remove the battery...
sd card must be placed under it.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. That sensor is capable of more... I wonder why they chose to partially castrate it? It’s not a show stopper, and I wonder how much can be done later via firmware? I kinda doubt they could update 4K framerate to 60 via F/W, unless the image processor workflow has significant headroom, because the data flow would greatly increase —— but that’s not my area of expertise... Durability is key too. We’re spoiled with the near indescribable design of the XSP!!

Reactions: Rawdog
I once had camera sensors explained to me like this :)
"look at capturing and processing video sort of like plumbing. We can’t flush a large turd down a small pipe and expect it to move. The pipe has to be larger than the turd, and there can be no restrictions ahead of the turd for it to reach it’s intended destination. It requires an unrestricted path. For our purposes data rates are the turd and anything that limits/restricts the data rate anywhere in the plumbing impedes movement and delivery of the turd."

Seeing videos coming out from people who had a early release and I have to say it looks pretty good. Really liking the 180 degree option. This will help out with 360 degree panos without faking the sky :)
This thing flies inside very well also.

That camera is becoming more interesting every time I see a new video.
Small, quite, unobtrusive, descent price, good video mmmmmm!!

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Well I will tell you I was surprised to see over on the RCgroup forum that is filled with DJI fan boys and a few of them really die hard DJI guys pre odered this already. LOL
Some want it just for inspection work and others just like new stuff. :)

I once had camera sensors explained to me like this :)
"look at capturing and processing video sort of like plumbing. We can’t flush a large turd down a small pipe and expect it to move. The pipe has to be larger than the turd, and there can be no restrictions ahead of the turd for it to reach it’s intended destination. It requires an unrestricted path. For our purposes data rates are the turd and anything that limits/restricts the data rate anywhere in the plumbing impedes movement and delivery of the turd."
LOL, but essentially true. The sensor’s image processor is important too, and the buffer size (toilet bowl’s size/volume). You have to design the entire flow for a certain capacity. My older Nikon D800. Great camera. 36mp, dynamic range/resolution beyond belief. Take 4-5 pictures in a hurry and it stops to think about it. Video restrictions for length of shot too. D810 solved that, but .... D800 is fine — if the subject doesn’t move, and you’re not in a hurry...

Seeing videos coming out from people who had a early release and I have to say it looks pretty good. Really liking the 180 degree option. This will help out with 360 degree panos without faking the sky :)
This thing flies inside very well also.

So do I. There’s a lot to like here. Any own a Parrot anything?

Back in 2013-2014 I considered the Parrot but found it to be more of a toy compared to the Yuneec Typhoon Q500 so I never did get one.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials