Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

It does snow in Hawaii !

Yes they are. The final 5 miles of the road to the summit is dirt and steep. They do that to deter folks from driving up there, but the road is well-maintained, and wide enough to get those observatories up there. I’ve taken rentals up there, not my car, LOL. It’s a surreal place, virtually silent. About 3 miles into it, off to the right, is a huge lava valley were NASA tested the Moon Buggies and Mars Rovers. You could film a SCI-FI movie up there, but no drones allowed or I’d have done it already. I could easily launch covertly, but it’s so quiet everyone would hear it... A picture from 2010:

Attachments

• 1071D319-489A-4790-B921-ACFAA5D539B0.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
7981674C-2B4D-4331-AFAA-A6029A1A01F0.jpeg
I took it that Francis was asking where in Hawaii. :)
LOL, sorry, too many holiday rum drinks. It is the “Big Island” who’s name is also Hawaii, making it confusing. It is the southern-most island in the Hawaiian chain.
Mauna Loa & Mauna Kea are two near-14,000’ volcanoes on this massive 4,000 sq. mi. island. Loa is active, Kea dormant. Both get snow every year. This image shows it best. The big volcano is Mauna Loa, the largest single mt. on earth, half the island’s mass. The one right above it is the slightly taller Mauna Kea. In the lower right you can see Kīlauea’s blueish smoke, and black streaks headed toward the sea. it’s been erupting for 30+ years...

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacqueslambert