Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

lights for night flight

dirtracer7207

Reaction score
So, I was bored playing on my computer and I came across a picture of our drone with two cube lights mounted on it. Now when I first thought out it, I really had no care to fly at night, thinking really what picture or video would you even obtain in the dark. But after awhile it kinda grew on me, that it might be something kinda cool, just to have and try out.

p4-kit-full-front-shot-white-mounts-v2_1.png

This is what I have found online, which looks kinda cool, and light weight. But they are like crazy expensive, way more then I am willing to pay for just a plastic piece that holds them to the drone, and two cheap LED lights.

Anyways, my question to the group is, has anyone tried something like this, or having any input.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    361.4 KB · Views: 18
A lot of people use these for night flying. The idea to light up the night sky to video is not the best. The reason we have the option to turn off the two front lights is so the video will not get washed out from the light. All you want for night flights is a good strobe light which these are. Those lubecube things are way over priced.

Strobon UAV Strobe Cree® Brighter Light for your UAV Drone

Thanks for the link to these stobes, awesome idea, i'm going to order one & try it.

Except the ones i mentioned come with 3 cree bulbs instead of 1, making them much brighter during the day or night for a little more money

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
I mounted the Cree lights from Firehouse on to the Lume Cube brackets for the X-Star - seems like the brackets were around $33 on sale from B&H. Just for the heck of it I use red on the port side and white on the other. I've only flown these in the day time so far, just to make sure there were no changes to the aerodynamics, which there isn't - can't even tell they are on. Don't know yet if they will affect night video, but they are insanely bright, I have no doubt they meet the visibility requirement.
Cree1.jpg

I noticed you have the single light, maybe the 3 light arc hi- intensity bulbs would work better?

Well I am not looking for a strobe light, the LEDs on the drone are enough to see it at night. I am more of looking for solid white lights. But like I said on the product that I posted was way over priced for two Cree lights, and a mounting bracket. Does anyone know of any place where I can order just the bracket, and I can mount my own lights to it?

I noticed you have the single light, maybe the 3 light arc hi- intensity bulbs would work better?
I would think so, I don't remember seeing those when I bought mine, but that was a few months ago. Also, I should have mentioned when I used mine in daylight, it was a very bright, intensely sunny day, no clouds. They would probably be more visible if there was some overcast.

Well I am not looking for a strobe light, the LEDs on the drone are enough to see it at night. I am more of looking for solid white lights. But like I said on the product that I posted was way over priced for two Cree lights, and a mounting bracket. Does anyone know of any place where I can order just the bracket, and I can mount my own lights to it?
I purchased the brackets from B&H: Lume Cube Mounts for Autel X-Star Quadcopter (Black) LC-XS11B
Just to clarify, the LumeCubes are not intended to be "collision avoidance" safety lights. They are sophisticated, powerful LED lights used by photographers to illuminate subjects on the ground from an elevated light source (drone). They can provide flash for still photography or continuous light for video, and can be controlled from a smart phone or tablet. The inexpensive Cree lights are not even in the same league, but they do a good job of what they are designed for, which is making the drone visible at night.

I purchased the brackets from B&H: Lume Cube Mounts for Autel X-Star Quadcopter (Black) LC-XS11B
Just to clarify, the LumeCubes are not intended to be "collision avoidance" safety lights. They are sophisticated, powerful LED lights used by photographers to illuminate subjects on the ground from an elevated light source (drone). They can provide flash for still photography or continuous light for video, and can be controlled from a smart phone or tablet. The inexpensive Cree lights are not even in the same league, but they do a good job of what they are designed for, which is making the drone visible at night.
As do the rubberized Walmart bicycle handlebar strobes That wrap around the arms of the XSP........
4 of these critters will get the attention of any UFO’S flying in the area

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58