Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Master Airscrew versus Autel Propellers

ovrszd

Reaction score
Ordered a set of MR series Drone Props from Master Airscrew. $25 to my door. Got em today. Cold and windy so won't fly them today. But thought I'd start the comparison with pics of the product.

Anyone flying these props feel free to jump in with any pics and/or opinions.

The box contains 4 props with nuts in a handy cloth bag. Instructions. Cleaning cloth that's a little bigger than a postage stamp, but it's cute. A special card educating you on the different thread types. And some cool stickers.

20171110_135631 (1280x720).jpg

There is considerable difference in the shape of these props, especially the pitch. The leading edge is designed differently as well. These two differences would contribute to claims of quietness and sharper control.

20171110_133533 (1280x720).jpg

20171110_133635 (1280x720).jpg

20171110_133723 (1280x720).jpg

Reactions: Sundog775
Ordered a set of MR series Drone Props from Master Airscrew. $25 to my door. Got em today. Cold and windy so won't fly them today. But thought I'd start the comparison with pics of the product.

Anyone flying these props feel free to jump in with any pics and/or opinions.

The box contains 4 props with nuts in a handy cloth bag. Instructions. Cleaning cloth that's a little bigger than a postage stamp, but it's cute. A special card educating you on the different thread types. And some cool stickers.

View attachment 1542

There is considerable difference in the shape of these props, especially the pitch. The leading edge is designed differently as well. These two differences would contribute to claims of quietness and sharper control.

View attachment 1544

View attachment 1545

View attachment 1546
Got mine today, too, I was wondering if you have any knowledge of or opinion on the need to check the balance? Was considering ordering a balancer, but don't know if it's really necessary and was curious what your thoughts were.

I don't have a balancer. I won't worry about it unless I see some problems that I can contribute to unbalanced props. They "claim" to be balanced.

My primary reason for buying a set is quietness. My Drone is extremely noisy. I take pics and video of people doing things. If I get within 100 yards of activity the people involved start looking up at the Drone. I'm not a creep, I'd just like to take shots of people doing their thing without any regard to me nearby. I have no desire to increase my Drone's ability to go faster, elevate faster, or anything like that.

I don't have a balancer. I won't worry about it unless I see some problems that I can contribute to unbalanced props. They "claim" to be balanced.

My primary reason for buying a set is quietness. My Drone is extremely noisy. I take pics and video of people doing things. If I get within 100 yards of activity the people involved start looking up at the Drone. I'm not a creep, I'd just like to take shots of people doing their thing without any regard to me nearby. I have no desire to increase my Drone's ability to go faster, elevate faster, or anything like that.
Same here, I just don't like to attract any more attention than I have to. Thanks.

Flew today. Did a short video of the Autel Props and then the Master Airscrew props. Kinda crude. Used my phone to record. Was after a sound recording, didn't care about visual. Started the drone, lifted off, went to a height of approximately 60 feet and then returned. You be the judge as to noise improvement.

Next will be a top speed test.

I flew thru 3 batteries yesterday shooting some video using the MA props. Initially I didn't notice any sound difference. As to handling I thought the drone might be a little quicker responding to movement. When hovering the drone seemed a bit more wobbly. I'll need to fly more to verify that though.

After I had finished and was putting the drone back in the case I thought about the sound thing. When I launch I watch the drone until I have it clear of any obstacles. Then I watch the viewer and do whatever flight mission I'm on. I only look at the drone again when I'm ready to land. As I approach myself I am watching the viewer for visual proximity and use my hearing to judge that distance by sound. I noticed with the MA props I have the drone closer to me before my instincts convert and I start watching the drone. I believe that is because the MA props are slightly quieter. I also thought I lost the ability to hear the drone quicker as it flew away. Both of these could be attributed to atmospheric conditions. So I'll fly more before I declare that to be fact. So far, I'm not sure the MA props are worth the extra cost. Probably only are because it's only $10. If they cost $20, $30 more, no way.

As a side note....... The MA prop nuts are colored black or silver depending on thread type. Autel props as we know are black and red. As luck would have it the MA prop nut that is black is left hand thread, same thread as the red Autel prop. The MA prop nut that is silver is right hand thread, same thread as the black Autel prop........ So I repainted the MA prop nuts to match the Autel color pattern.. Yeah, I'm OCD like that. :)

20171111_160213 (1280x720).jpg

Reactions: Squirrel!
Good call on the prop nut color. Also good info to know if I ever purchase a set of these props.

I have seen others paint theirs. Not a big deal to me. Spin one way and they either tighten or they don't. Just spin the other way. They only go on one way so not a big deal LOL

I have seen others paint theirs. Not a big deal to me. Spin one way and they either tighten or they don't. Just spin the other way. They only go on one way so not a big deal LOL

Yep, totally understand. I prefer knowing which one belongs where at first glance.

Here's the instruction card that comes with the props. I understand sometimes these things are written by people that might not be mechanical and/or might be translating from a foreign language. Not sure what applies in this instance. :)

20171112_111510 (1280x720).jpg

Yeah, I consider right handed thread as needing turned clockwise to install. Left hand thread turned counterclockwise to install. Those illustrations are what's required to remove. :confused:

Well this was definitely not a scientific study by no means but using my iPad and speaker and I used my decibel meter, the difference from the Autel and master airscrew from video was a difference of 5db at hovering and 8db at attitude. Room was quiet and meter was held steady. Just thought I would see since I had the meter from work with me. LOL yes I was bored

Well this was definitely not a scientific study by no means but using my iPad and speaker and I used my decibel meter, the difference from the Autel and master airscrew from video was a difference of 5db at hovering and 8db at attitude. Room was quiet and meter was held steady. Just thought I would see since I had the meter from work with me. LOL yes I was bored

Your technology far exceeds mine!!!!

So is that make the props a good investment in your mind???

Thanks, you just saved me $25! ;)

My intent isn't to talk anyone into or out of this purchase. :)

I flew thru 3 batteries today. I still notice the drone being closer to me than I think it is. Otherwise I don't see much difference. I don't see any battery life improvement. I think if you are a "racer" and like to "zoom" around you might see some improvement. I'm not that guy.....

Same here as to buy or not, are they quieter technically yes, I personally don’t have the aftermarket ones so it’s a personal preference and would never tell someone buy or not because I don’t own them nor have I done a live test.

No one has accused either one of you fine gentlemen of telling what or what not, to purchase. And the video may not have had the intent, it was a comparison I based my purchase decision on.

Just for the quietness claim that I don't discern as being anything less than still obvious, the brittleness of them and the sharpness, I'll stick with OEM.

Reactions: Rawdog
No one has accused either one of you fine gentlemen of telling what or what not, to purchase. And the video may not have had the intent, it was a comparison I based my purchase decision on.

Just for the quietness claim that I don't discern as being anything less than still obvious, the brittleness of them and the sharpness, I'll stick with OEM.

I'm not sure how to quantify whether the brittleness is an issue. Sharpness, don't know what that issue even is.

A prop will break in a crash of some sort. I can't think of anything else that would break one??? Not sure how to determine that a different prop would or would not have broken. My first crash broke a prop with no further damage to the drone. My second crash didn't break any props but tore the camera off the gimbal......

I am flying the MA props exclusively now. Guess I'll know more about their durability in a few months. I'll certainly report anything I feel pertinent. :)

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy