Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Neat Idea.........LED Props

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
So before you watch this video I will give you a warning it has a DJI Mavic in it. Seems anytime I post something with a DJI product some people on here need therapists and psychotropic medications to cope with their apparent fobic to DJI products. I just thought these were cool and would not mind a set for my pumpkin :)

It's a shame we can't use them.
No...I don't even need an anti-depressant :)

Only communists post DJI videos................. ;) ;)

ok, I wouldn’t mind having a set either, but sometimes I try to sneak over places — I’m hoping folks won’t notice it....these wouldn’t help....

Last edited:
Think I'll cancel my Evo order. I want these props! [probably will fit the Evo as well ;)]

I can see something like this making them well out of balance, no? Would be cool at night though.

Reactions: Squirrel!
If there is enough interest, I can design something like this for the X-Star. A 3D printed shell would fit over the stock props, housing a 3.3 volt cell.
Interested, don't want to pay for them though. ;)

Balancing is not terribly difficult. The battery holder is already slightly asymmetrical, and putting the LEDs on one blade basically requires that the enclosure compensate. I picked up materials a few minutes ago, and I'm going to give it a try. I have some conductive silver ink, and I'm going to try that first before I try magnet wire. The LEDs are a bit smaller than I'm used to soldering, so I really hope the ink works.

Should definately be interesting to see how it works out. Let us know!

My concern is that it doubles the weight of each prop (over the weight of a stock prop). That's a lot of weight to have and take flying; just to see some pretty lights :) (my opinion)

My concern is that it doubles the weight of each prop (over the weight of a stock prop). That's a lot of weight to have and take flying; just to see some pretty lights :) (my opinion)
I can't see the weight doing anything but unbalancing them. People put prop guards and that would probably weigh more than led lights I'm thinking.

Reactions: Squirrel!
As long as each blade weighs the same amount, there is not a balancing problem. The main problem with the additional weight of the props is simply that the drone must carry more weight. Likewise, there is a price for that and the price is 'increased power usage'. When prop guards are added, there is also some increased power usage, due to the additional weight, and very slight air resistance.

The weight of a stock Autel prop is 6 grams.
The weight of a LED prop, with a battery in it is 11 grams.

As long as each blade weighs the same amount, there is not a balancing problem.
I'm not sure about that. Everything I've read and viewed on balancing props says different. If one end of the prop is heavier or lighter than the other end it can create an unbalanced flight. Multiply that by 4 props and you can have a very bad behaving drone flight. That kind of wobble can even compromise the aircrafts structure or motors. I could be wrong but that's jmho. When I buy new props I always balance them.

There's also the fact of air friction on the props from the added lights not enabling the props to work as they should aerodynamically. The jello effect would happen too.
The only way I can see it work best is if the leds were actually inside the props so they do not deflect air.

Last edited:
The led props ARE balanced. As Wildseyed says, the battery is in the middle. The fact is that the entire blade weighs more; nearly twice as much as a stock blade.

Reactions: CyFly
The led props ARE balanced. As Wildseyed says, the battery is in the middle. The fact is that the entire blade weighs more; nearly twice as much as a stock blade.
The battery in the center does not "balance" the prop. With the lights on only one blade, the other blade must compensate somehow.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58