Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Official firmware update is V2.0.12 As of 10\25\2017

I did the update and it only showed two updates, flight control and gimbal. I tried it 3 times because I thought it was going to do 4.
Is the flight control update for 15, 16 and 17 combined?

I did the update and it only showed two updates, flight control and gimbal. I tried it 4 times and finally went to Yuneek
thypon. for a drone. Just worn out w/ cs. with Autel. More expensive, but worth it I. Just tired of trying to get satifaction. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Hi folks.....new to the forum here but I've owned the XSP for a year and use it in commercial service (with some success). I updated from 113 to 208 today and did some flight testing....I was getting tired of the usual issues found in 113 so I figured what the hey and upgraded the aircraft and 4 batteries. So....what did I see today?
1. Yaw control has improved with new expo feature....need to do further testing in orbit mode to determine if expo setting is now applied within orbit as well..in 113 yaw corrections in orbit mode are jerky-almost like the aircraft is in the hands of an unskilled pilot.
2. Gimbal was temporarily inoperative for 30 seconds after takeoff...never saw that in 113.
3. Saw data flow errors to the SD card and needed to format card twice in one flight..never saw that in 113.
4. Takeoffs are much smoother in 208.
5. Aircraft now stops on a dime in 208.
6. Aircraft handles more like an airplane in 208...I like that.
7. Histogram stopped reporting data from aircraft...had to land and reboot.

Not sure what to make of this version so far....I traded in a few issues and got a few others in return so I think they have some more homework to do in this one.

Reactions: Rawdog
Hi folks.....new to the forum here but I've owned the XSP for a year and use it in commercial service (with some success).

[edited]

Not sure what to make of this version so far....I traded in a few issues and got a few others in return so I think they have some more homework to do in this one.

Thanks for the detailed info on your experience with the update, yrless. I'm still using 1.2.8 (the last official firmware that was released, but subsequently rescinded, around this time last year). I also use the XSP commercially and I haven't updated yet for insurance concerns. The terms of use agreement for the beta firmware specifically states that the firmware should not be used for commercial applications (item #3 under "Responsibilities"). In the unlikely event of an accident which results in an insurance claim, an insurance company will deny the claim once they learned that beta firmware was installed.

That said, the fact that I'm flying a bird with an official, but rescinded, firmware version would probably go over like a fart in church with my insurance, too. I also worry that the firmware may stay perpetually beta - it would be a convenient way for a manufacturer to try to sidestep liability. Ultimately, I know myself well enough that I'll lose patience waiting for the beta to get an official release, especially if we have the same year long wait that we had between the last official release and the beta 2.0. Knowing that the beta solves most of the flaws limiting my current use of the XSP will make it even harder to be patient!

Hopefully Autel builds up the courage and fortitude to put out an official release soon. Autel made a strong push to entice commercial operators by offering to pay for their Part 107 exams - it would be extremely disappointing if they waste that investment and turn their backs on commercial users by effectively cutting us off from new firmware updates with continued "beta only" releases.

Agree 100 % on your beta observation Airmet Tango....I also saw the commercial service-related warning and wondered about the insurance component myself . At the moment it's all academic for me which I'll explain later but....I did some more testing on 208 today...my main focus is to understand whether the new expo setting is used inside the auto-orbit algorithm..I ran 2 flights with 2 different expo's to see if the V113 jerky yaw response could be removed in V208...I'm still analyzing the vids but it seems that a high expo setting around 7 produces better yaw results in orbit than a lower setting of 3....I'll post the links to the vids so you can have a look and decide...so either expo is in fact coupled to orbit mode (and a higher setting provides quicker yaw response) or perhaps flight conditions were a bit better on the second attempt which made the video just appear smoother. For commercial guys auto orbit is super important as you know....who wants to perform a manual orbit of a property when you're trying to adjust camera angle, exposure and aircraft speed at the same time...crazy! You gotta have a good smooth orbit function! BTW I emailed CS about the expo-orbit thing but haven't received a reply yet.
One other issue I wanted to eliminate through a FW update was the video and control signal loss bug that lots of us suffer from... unfortunately today that only seemed to get worse for me so I packed up the unit and shipped it back to Autel with an RMA...kinda thinking it's an RF board issue because both freq bands failed....so for now yeah it's academics for me ☹️ Now I gotta figure out how to get some replacement equipment for 3 weeks..arghhh! Anyway, have a look at these links and tell me what you think..cheers! Art.

EXP3.mp4

EXP7.mp4

@yrless great test and results, definitely see major improvement between the two. Quite possible that the higher setting allows the XSP to respond with faster initial yaw movement when self adjusting whereas the lower setting forces the slower initial yaw and causes the snapping. We humans of course react slower so the higher setting while under our control would have us snapping around too quickly.

@yrless great test and results, definitely see major improvement between the two. Quite possible that the higher setting allows the XSP to respond with faster initial yaw movement when self adjusting whereas the lower setting forces the slower initial yaw and causes the snapping. We humans of course react slower so the higher setting while under our control would have us snapping around too quickly.

My take on it exactly....set expo very high for robotic flights and low for us humans.
Thanks for having a look at the vids!

...I ran 2 flights with 2 different expo's to see if the V113 jerky yaw response could be removed in V208...I'm still analyzing the vids but it seems that a high expo setting around 7 produces better yaw results in orbit than a lower setting of 3....I'll post the links to the vids so you can have a look and decide....
Thank you, yrless. You've given me a clue as to why my pans are jerky!

OK guys
This problem is being talked about on Autels Facebook page. What they need is people who experience this to send in the info to Autel. If you have video to back up your claims send in a link.
If no one sends back any info this firmware will become final. Even the two main beta testers are pissed that this firmware 2.0.8 got out for public testing as they told Autel about the jerky pans in autonomous modes.
Email your findings or live with another crappy firmware.

[email protected]

Reactions: PilotChris
Firmware Beta Download | Autel Robotics

What’s New:

1. Optimized flight control algorithm. Improved response speed. Shorter braking distance. Faster max descending speed.
  2. Fixed YAW issue. YAW sensitivity adjustment EXP is now available.
  3. Optimized compass algorithm. Fixed crash issue caused by magnetic interference/compass abnormal.
  4. The compass only needs one good calibration after update and no re-calibration needed (Compass calibration must be performed outdoor with strong GPS signals).
  5. Enabled outdoor Starpoint function. Soft landing will kick in while landing.
  6. No more IMU warm-up time.
  7. Auto-takeoff altitude changed to 1.5m.
  8. 99 waypoints.
  9. Digital zoom is available.
  10. Pause works in autonomous modes. Pressing the pause button again will resume the previous action.
  11. Motors won’t start in IOC mode.
  12. Improved battery self-discharging control based on temperature.
  13. Optimized power drop prevention for long-stored battery.
  14. Gimbal snap issue fix (Based on 2.0.1)
  15. Tilted horizon issue optimized (Based on 2.0.1)
  16. Added time-based protection for auto-takeoff
  17. Waypoint altitude adjustment: change evenly between 2 points (Based on 2.0.1)
Haven't done a firmware upgrade yet so are you saying this upgrade is safe and ready to go for all the newbies out there? Do you have to perform the upgrade for each battery you have? Thanks!

You need to understand this is a Beta firmware upgrade. Although there is nothing in the firmware that is harmful it still needs fine tuning. Telling you to upgrade is something I will not do. This is your decision and yours alone. If you decide to upgrade you have to agree to the terms on the upgrade page.
I can say this is a big improvement over Version 1.1.3 that comes standard on all Autel Quadcopters.

If you upgrade you will have to upgrade each battery if you have not upgraded before. If you have one of the beta upgrades on already this is not necessary.

Watch the upgrade videos provided on the upgrade page.

You need to understand this is a Beta firmware upgrade. Although there is nothing in the firmware that is harmful it still needs fine tuning. Telling you to upgrade is something I will not do. This is your decision and yours alone. If you decide to upgrade you have to agree to the terms on the upgrade page.
I can say this is a big improvement over Version 1.1.3 that comes standard on all Autel Quadcopters.

If you upgrade you will have to upgrade each battery if you have not upgraded before. If you have one of the beta upgrades on already this is not necessary.

Thanks for helping out a newbie... I just can't get enough of this thing! I'm hooked big time!

OK guys
This problem is being talked about on Autels Facebook page. What they need is people who experience this to send in the info to Autel. If you have video to back up your claims send in a link.
If no one sends back any info this firmware will become final. Even the two main beta testers are pissed that this firmware 2.0.8 got out for public testing as they told Autel about the jerky pans in autonomous modes.
Email your findings or live with another crappy firmware.

[email protected]

Well I gotta tell you if they don't see this themselves either they're truly clueless or they're relying on customers to be their R&D dept....I'm not a facebook user so can someone just post a link to this thread inside FB and let them read for themselves?

Thank you, yrless. You've given me a clue as to why my pans are jerky!

Kent....if you have time try an orbit with the highest expo setting just to see what happens....I would have done it myself but with all the RF link disconnects I was getting I felt a bit queezy continuing the tests :eek: This Jerky thing is really getting on my nerves....I've received some unflattering comments from customers about this in orbit videos....reputation is everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: KentA
Excuse my ignorance, when you say expo, you are referring to ?

Instead of having a linear response between stick movement and resultant change in yaw, Exponential setting allows you to deviate from the linear curve to either retard or advance the response to input.....so low expo will result in smaller yaw output and high expo will result in higher output, i.e. motor RPM (per same stick deflection).

Last edited:
Kent....if you have time try an orbit with the highest expo setting just to see what happens....I would have done it myself but with all the RF link disconnects I was getting I felt a bit queezy continuing the tests :eek:
I'm a newbie so 1st I need to re-find the expo settings. When I first got the XSP, I set it for the slowest yaw because I'd heard a rumor that it the Autel was fast on the pivot & this old man ain't doing too fast no more.

I'm still using the 2.0.1 firmware & probably won't update it until you veterans say it's safe.

BTW, why does the flight record icon displayed on my StarLink do nothing? That was this afternoon's quiz question & I failed to get the right answer.

Could someone please clear this up for me? Agustine wrote, "Even the two main beta testers are pissed that this firmware 2.0.8 got out for public testing...". I can go to the Autel site and download and install 2.0.8, as can anyone that has legitimately purchased the product. I'm confused why the two "main testers" are upset, when anyone that has purchased the product can get 2.0.8?

I'm clearly confused what I should and should not install?

Reactions: yrless

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials