Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

New Model Release?

jbeyer

Reaction score
Hello Pilots... I am starting in the Real Estate Photography industry. I've done my homework and have decided to purchase from Autel Robotics for aerials. However, at this point, I'm not sure if I should order the XSP or... wait until the next model comes out.

So here's my question: Has anybody heard WHEN the next model will be released? It seems as though everyone – and I mean EVERYONE – is in the dark when it comes to knowing of the release date. I've sent Autel an email but haven't heard back from them. I've even messaged them on FB... they responded to my greeting but didn't respond after I asked my question.

Anybody have any insight? Other than the press release from back in January?

jbeyer
Don't know if this helps much but I just received, today, a reply regarding your question. I said I wanted to buy another Autel but wanted to know if a newer model was forthcoming. The reply was:
"We don't have a set timeline for new products. I do know that several are in development. We are also planning on being at CES this year, so I would be surprised if we did not have something before then, otherwise it would not make sense to go".

Reactions: jbeyer
Hello Pilots... I am starting in the Real Estate Photography industry. I've done my homework and have decided to purchase from Autel Robotics for aerials. However, at this point, I'm not sure if I should order the XSP or... wait until the next model comes out.

So here's my question: Has anybody heard WHEN the next model will be released? It seems as though everyone – and I mean EVERYONE – is in the dark when it comes to knowing of the release date. I've sent Autel an email but haven't heard back from them. I've even messaged them on FB... they responded to my greeting but didn't respond after I asked my question.

Anybody have any insight? Other than the press release from back in January?

People who seem to know are saying maybe around this time next year. They still have to finalize this firmware which is taking for ever and get the Flir camera out. Then the 1 Inch sensor camera after that. At the rate they are going I say next year is a BIG maybe for a new drone form them.

Reactions: jbeyer
Okay... that helps me make my decision. I'll find a nice bundle on Amazon and pull the trigger.

Thanks a lot for the insight!

Actually..... Talking with autel a week ago, I was told that the new model would cost "about" what the present XSP does. However, that just doesn't add up. In addition to that, I was told the new camera module, with the 1" sensor, was scrapped. Too costly, with Sony. So... don't hold your breath. But... we all knew that already, right?

Actually..... Talking with autel a week ago, I was told that the new model would cost "about" what the present XSP does. However, that just doesn't add up. In addition to that, I was told the new camera module, with the 1" sensor, was scrapped. Too costly, with Sony. So... don't hold your breath. But... we all knew that already, right?
Well that's dumb. Did they say what the difference between the two would be then?

Watch the CES video, you'll know as much as I do. What it looks like, is landing gear that raises up, so the new rotatable camera can rotate, without seeing landing gear. But... with the new camera back to square one........????????

The slightly vague information I received from AR in the last month was that there are 3 models currently in development, the Kestrel might be one of those two models as it was already displayed and announced on AR web site. That would leave 2 "new" models. They wouldn't give me any more clues, even though I asked specifically about a collapsible model like the Mavic for portability reasons. Autel R&D is in Germany, assuming that from locations they own and job postings I have seen for the German facility. Anyone in Germany want to do some reconnaissance of the facility? Folding/retracting landing gear is cool, unless it fails to return to landing position then not so cool for your camera...good luck catching it if the gear is up...wear steel gauntlets.

If they made the prop arms foldable and the landing gear foldable the XSP would be a pretty compact unit just the way it is, nice little square package all collapsed...and the Chinese are great manufacturers of collapsible things.

I saw one video from CES, where autel was saying they were working on the Kestle then, a smaller version of the Kestle, the new XSP with raising landing gear, and finally, the new camera module with the 1" sensor. I was told by autel, that the new camera module had become too expensive to incorporate into the new XSP, without being too expensive for them to sell at a reasonable cost. So... that's why I pulled the trigger on buying the XSP's that I now own.

If you watch the video you can pick up from Natalie that the model is just a pipe dream and will probably never come to pass. She does mention all their effort is in supporting the already X-Star platform.

I cannot see them dropping the 1 inch sensor camera. People who want a better camera will pay more for it. DJI and Yuneec all have come out with better cameras and lots of people pay the extra bucks to have the best.

Who was the customer service rep you talked to? Some don't know what day it is :)

I saw one video from CES, where autel was saying they were working on the Kestle then, a smaller version of the Kestle, the new XSP with raising landing gear, and finally, the new camera module with the 1" sensor. I was told by autel, that the new camera module had become too expensive to incorporate into the new XSP, without being too expensive for them to sell at a reasonable cost. So... that's why I pulled the trigger on buying the XSP's that I now own.
CES video from this year in January? I have heard from new friend at Autel that they will definitely be at CES this coming January...thats pretty good news for all the nay sayers about Autel...why would they go to CES if they are dwindling? Hope they have some good "new" stuff there. I agree with Agustine 100% on the 1" sensor, its not needed on the XSP platform and is more for the $1500+ drone class...i still see the XSP as the best consumer drone for the price when it comes to features and capabilities. I just want to see obstacle avoidance sensors (hope they dont call it a platinum version...lol) and possibly a more portable version of the same platform. One other thing that would make my day for CES is parts availability through Autel and channels.

If you watch the video you can pick up from Natalie that the model is just a pipe dream and will probably never come to pass. She does mention all their effort is in supporting the already X-Star platform.

I cannot see them dropping the 1 inch sensor camera. People who want a better camera will pay more for it. DJI and Yuneec all have come out with better cameras and lots of people pay the extra bucks to have the best.

Who was the customer service rep you talked to? Some don't know what day it is :)
Think it was Tim. Can't swear to it though. Wasn't on my mind to quote anyone, at the time.

I think there is some confusion on what "new model" is and who is answering the question.

We ran a new batch of the current model (XStar Premium) and many answers above appear to mention those units. These are not what I would call a "new mode".

After that there are true "new models" in the works and someone mentioned above about "people in the know" but I assure you that if the information isn't coming from me (who runs teams creating the new products) then the people don't really know.

I will not share specific details with dates for releases (yes, multiple new products are in the plans) but I will say you can expect to see something before "this time next year", actually, well before if current schedules hold.

Pricing on the new models has not been decided so treat any information you hear as pure speculation.

Hope this helps clear a few things up but feel free to ask questions and I'll reply as appropriate.

Hi Ken and thank you for coming into the forum and letting us know of everything.
I hope you stay and be a part of the forum for the future. This would be extremely reassuring to a lot of people wanting to know from within. It's what we need as XSP owners and a good step forward for Autel.

Hi Ken and thank you for coming into the forum and letting us know of everything.
I hope you stay and be a part of the forum for the future. This would be extremely reassuring to a lot of people wanting to know from within. It's what we need as XSP owners and a good step forward for Autel.

I try to be involved but as you can guess my time is very limited so I might not be as visible as I should be though I do watch the weekly active threads and read/respond as appropriate.

Stay tuned for details on the new aircraft. I cannot share much detail just yet but that will come.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
I try to be involved but as you can guess my time is very limited so I might not be as visible as I should be though I do watch the weekly active threads and read/respond as appropriate.

Stay tuned for details on the new aircraft. I cannot share much detail just yet but that will come.
I would LOVE to continue to support Autel. I currently own 2 XSP's, and am awaiting the model with moving landing gear, and a 360 degree rotatable camera module. This would be a GIANT leap forward for my business... to have a pilot, and a camera op, so both could focus more on their own part, while communicating their needs to each other.

My biggest concern, at this point, is the stability of the firmware. I like the control advancements of v 2.x, but, can't afford the losses of connectivity that seem to accompany the "upgrade". While I like the idea of improved stopping distance, I also enjoy the smooth coast to stop for a lot of video situations. I'd like to see a virtual "switch", built into the firmware, to be able to choose one, or the other, on demand.

Thank you for calming the masses. Keep up the good work, albeit a little faster down the pipeline.

I think I speak for everyone here, again thank you and it's much appreciated.

I think there is some confusion on what "new model" is and who is answering the question.

We ran a new batch of the current model (XStar Premium) and many answers above appear to mention those units. These are not what I would call a "new mode".

After that there are true "new models" in the works and someone mentioned above about "people in the know" but I assure you that if the information isn't coming from me (who runs teams creating the new products) then the people don't really know.

I will not share specific details with dates for releases (yes, multiple new products are in the plans) but I will say you can expect to see something before "this time next year", actually, well before if current schedules hold.

Pricing on the new models has not been decided so treat any information you hear as pure speculation.

Hope this helps clear a few things up but feel free to ask questions and I'll reply as appropriate.

Ken, how about committments from AR on CES 2017 products like flir and kestrel? some of those promos are long in the tooth...thx.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials