Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Obstacle Avoidance

AtoZ

Reaction score
I found that OA works pretty good but be aware it still got glitches especially the latest firmware.
Did some flying without GNSS and was pretty happy with it but.. glitches.

I crashed my drone 2 times now testing to see how good it is.
I should have taking the camera off as the first crash it messed up the gimbal but the hammer fixed it but the with latest firmware it flew into a building, got stuck in a bush/tree area and basically no control.

More testing to be performed... :(

Did some flying without GNSS and was pretty happy with it but.. glitches.
Elaborate on "without GNSS"? The Evo is not designed to succeed in most indoor environments since there is no way to disable the GPS entirely.

Elaborate on "without GNSS"? The Evo is not designed to succeed in most indoor environments since there is no way to disable the GPS entirely.
Worked ok with disable GNSS in app yes it drifted some in the wind but what I saw the OA worked some what ok.
Flew inside building.
I also have a SDR I use to fake GNSS signal etc to test some hardening.

This discussion again :)
This is about OA.

Last edited:
Worked ok with disable GNSS in app
There is no such thing, and OA performance is directly related position and velocity accuracy.

OA performance without an actual fused 3D position and velocity is going to suffer significantly. In oversimplified terms, it can't stop going somewhere if it doesn't know where it was going, where it is now, if it is moving and what direction how fast, or if it is actually stopped, etc. Using Starpoint (the visual positioning system), it can infer some of this information to some extent sometimes. This why it seemed to work ok sometimes and not ok sometimes for you. Without the visual sensors (such as in the dark), it cannot do any of that at all. As previously discussed, Autel provides no control in the app to positively disable the GPS which further complicates matters in places where GPS signal is known to be poor.

So I wouldn't actually call it a glitch in that it isn't a defect or failure of the system. It is a limitation of reality in the design, which Autel does a piss poor job explaining, and provides no actual positive control over.

Reactions: AtoZ
In the USA, the Autel Max series has been advertised to have omnidirectional radar. This is false. the FAA/FCC certifications for this were never obtained and the units are shipped unable to use the omnidirectional radar. See the original text and the updated text.

Attachments

• Original_text_Image_2023-10-19_09-12-17.png
    Original_text_Image_2023-10-19_09-12-17.png
    274.8 KB · Views: 13
  • updated_text_image.png
    updated_text_image.png
    292.8 KB · Views: 11
In the USA, the Autel Max series has been advertised to have omnidirectional radar. This is false. the FAA/FCC certifications for this were never obtained and the units are shipped unable to use the omnidirectional radar. See the original text and the updated text.
They constantly advertise features they haven't deployed yet. Seems their marketing department has drones we don't have access to.

Well, good luck to you. I don't have that kind of money to be deliberately turning the OV off and flying it into a building :)

Well to elaborate a bit.
I turned off in app was a bit misleading. In my app that controls the SDR that can fake/block GPS.
And I did not turn off OA. I was hoping that The radar would help to provide some OA but seems it has some glitches not giving good values. I was basically in Atti mode.

The main problem was all turned on in daylight it flew into a bush, a building got stuck between trees with no control except to land.

What's the talk about 24ghz and 60ghz and it's gotta have the 60ghz millimeter wave to work as oa. It was advertised as having 720 avoidance. Oh my &%%%^. How can we get 720 oa as advertised?

Right, Autel has been quite silent on that topic - including in Zoom conferences (never even bringing it up as a topic.) So maybe it will be implemented in a firmware update eventually. Maybe.

All I can say is I'm testing this for power line inspections and during night time.
So crashing 1,2 3 if it works, better than my lost friend's in helicopter accidents.
They are sending 2000+ of them to Ukraine hmm...

I sent mine back for repair and LOL, Response was we fix it in 2 weeks, over that now. I'm lucky if I see it back in 4-6 months, guess i have to get other one, grrrrr

Any tried turn off GNSS ?
1701812271811.png

I am wanting to make sure im geting this right. I have an Evo Max 4T but at night, I get a low light setting OA is disabled. All their advertising says it should work at night. Is this a feature that has not ben released? or is there an issue with our drone.

I am wanting to make sure im geting this right. I have an Evo Max 4T but at night, I get a low light setting OA is disabled. All their advertising says it should work at night. Is this a feature that has not ben released? or is there an issue with our drone.
Manual say's it was disabled in the software, so hopefully a software update enables it as advertised.

Got my drone back :)

Most of the repair cost was to fix the camera so now I'm thinking testing more, LOL take camera off :)

Been asking if possible to NMEA data from drone if hmm as is support GPS spoofing....Does it have Dead Reckoning chip ? Don't know. I still wont trust OA radar support yet as in RF hardening. Time will tell.

And sure they said pilot error. And damage to camera, Well I think Gimble was out of spec and put pressure on joints and separated from bearing but cant prove that :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Takashira
Maybe he means ATTI mode? You are right re: the EVO II, no way to select ATTI mode it just defaults to ATTI when sufficient satellites are not available.

This is about MAX, GPS denied, RF hardened, Radar, etc what it says, I'm testing, I run my M30 but what MAX is suppose todo lot more I like to use it but, hmmm scary.
I expect ATTI but even then OA should work.
Just saying, Pedals hmm not sure he got a MAX....

Reactions: jaja6009
I have been following this thread since the beginning.
Exciting stuff trying to figure out limitations.

Thanks for doing the testing since the rest of us cannot afford to test a $10K bird.

Reactions: MrTurnerPhoto

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marwan