Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Part 2 of EVO by Kloo Gee

If you can't shut off the beeping from the obstacle avoidance that could get pretty annoying real fast :)
Moves really nice though. Pretty nimble.

I believe Jacob said the beeping could be turned off.
I rewatched the video and Jacob said you can turn off the obstacle avoidance. I don't get the impression you can just turn the beeping off by itself. If you have to turn it off to stop the beeping it kind of defeats the purpose of having it. I can see people complaining about that just like the cold battery warning on the x-star.

That video looked pretty good. Excellent video and quiet, good combination.

I'm quite interested in this drone. I'm not a flyer right now, but I think this drone would be a perfect fit for beginners such as myself. Watching the drone avoid the tree was simply amazing. Seems like it has a good sensory system on board.

I'm sure glad I did my research first on drones and when I did come across DJI I just didn't jump the gun and buy the latest and greatest MPP cause it was available.

The NFZ restriction on DJI products to the EVO's turn me on and take off is a no brainier and that feature alone will help the EVO succeed.

I'm definitely purchasing this drone. When? is another question. Hopefully soon before summer is over.

I would've already purchased this as a pre-order, but I wish Autel would release what the bundle deal is going to be. To grab an extra battery and hard case (if they sell one) would be ideal for me and most I would think.

That's really what's holding me back from purchasing right now because it's obvious it's going to be released.

As for the video, it's great to see the thing in action. It will be better to see in my own hands once shipped.

Till then,

From watching the video, I can see they left in the banked turns. I am glad of that.

As it pertains to the NFZ feature, I have a prediction that won’t make many happy. The non-enforcement of no-fly zones is only allowed for countries who have not specifically said it must be enforced (China is enforcing it). I have little doubt that authorities like the FAA in the United States will at some point demand that no-fly zones be enforced because DJI has put it out there as a standard feature and DJI is the industry leader so it makes sense that others will have to follow suit on that front at some point.

And to be very honest a big part of me wishes these would be enforced on all drones, because without the enforcement some idiot is going to fly the drone over an airfield and cause a big accident and then the entire drone industry for personal use will come crashing down. Autel is assuming that we are competent enough to police ourselves. They have way more faith in the average drone user than I do.

Part of the attraction of the EVO for me is the fact that I have to be the responsible party, which I will be. I intend on registering and will call into all active towers if I am within the 5 mile zone and do the due diligence. My problem with the no flight zones is that so many in my area are "airfields" that see 0-3 flights a month if they are really busy that month. There are not any active control towers for any of them. The only active field is Fleming Field in South Saint Paul, MN, which has an online reporting tool. I called Fleming operations to inquire and once I told them the general area I was planning on flying they wished me well and said they can't see any issues and thanked me for being proactive.
The other two fields in that area are both seaplane fields, one of of which is really one guy's boat dock and yard. The other is Wipline a small aircraft float manufacturer who lists two numbers, one of which I've never had answered and has no voice mail, the other that I have never encountered when it wasn't off the hook. The area I want to fly in is ~2 mile from either of the seaplane fields and 4.5 miles from Fleming. My max flight altitude is 20 feet above Fleming (100 feet AGL) and there is ground higher in between Fleming and my flight area. The sea planes are admittedly 100 feet lower than ground level where I want to fly, however they still have the same rise between me and their bases. So the only way I can interfere with them is if I manage to get in the way as they are in the process of crashing since there is no way they would lawfully be in the same airspace. And if I head west a half a mile, the whole mess starts over with three grass strips that have no contact info to even try and report in to but airmap and other tools show them as NFZ's.

Part of the attraction of the EVO for me is the fact that I have to be the responsible party, which I will be. I intend on registering and will call into all active towers if I am within the 5 mile zone and do the due diligence. My problem with the no flight zones is that so many in my area are "airfields" that see 0-3 flights a month if they are really busy that month. There are not any active control towers for any of them. The only active field is Fleming Field in South Saint Paul, MN, which has an online reporting tool. I called Fleming operations to inquire and once I told them the general area I was planning on flying they wished me well and said they can't see any issues and thanked me for being proactive.
The other two fields in that area are both seaplane fields, one of of which is really one guy's boat dock and yard. The other is Wipline a small aircraft float manufacturer who lists two numbers, one of which I've never had answered and has no voice mail, the other that I have never encountered when it wasn't off the hook. The area I want to fly in is ~2 mile from either of the seaplane fields and 4.5 miles from Fleming. My max flight altitude is 20 feet above Fleming (100 feet AGL) and there is ground higher in between Fleming and my flight area. The sea planes are admittedly 100 feet lower than ground level where I want to fly, however they still have the same rise between me and their bases. So the only way I can interfere with them is if I manage to get in the way as they are in the process of crashing since there is no way they would lawfully be in the same airspace. And if I head west a half a mile, the whole mess starts over with three grass strips that have no contact info to even try and report in to but airmap and other tools show them as NFZ's.

I don't disagree with what you are saying. And I think the people on boards like this are going to be responsible flyers. Sadly I think we are in a minority of total flyers out there. And that's where a lifting of geo-fencing could be a bad thing. For the health of the drone flying indutry as a whole, I think we need to be protected from the Casey Neistat's of the world who show irresponsible drone usage and make people think that's okay.

I don't disagree with what you are saying. And I think the people on boards like this are going to be responsible flyers. Sadly I think we are in a minority of total flyers out there. And that's where a lifting of geo-fencing could be a bad thing. For the health of the drone flying indutry as a whole, I think we need to be protected from the Casey Neistat's of the world who show irresponsible drone usage and make people think that's okay.

Casey is the best thing and worst thing to happen to drones at the same time. I flew rc gliders in the 80's but always thought there was something lacking. I stumbled across one of his videos and head the immediate epiphany "rc photography was missing, I found my next thing" followed almost immediately by the thought "is that a heliport he's flying over, that's so many kinds of wrong?" But the plus side of all this is that someone I work with bought a Mavic and was following Casey's example and showed me a video. We talked a bit about how generally easy it is to do flying the safe way and while I doubt my co worker will ever match my level of diligence he's far better than he was. (For instance he's not going to fly over the refinery near where we live anymore.)

We need the Casey's to an extent, we just need Casey's that are a little better on the judgement side of things.

Reactions: Cori

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingraja