Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Range extenders

Timgermany24

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I have the Skyreat copper range extender. It doesn't seem to make much difference. I'm wondering if any of you have the Itelite range extender, which is considerable more money. Any good things to say about. I don't want to buy if it doesn't make much difference.
Any thoughts??
THANKS

I've not purchase an extender of any kind yet. I have not read anything that would confirm their value. Lots of personal testimony regarding specific flights that have accomplished great things. Not doubting anyone's testimony. I have yet to read testimony regarding long term, repeated use where they were confirmed as having helped. I'm open to anyone's stories though!!! :)

A few of us have installed the 4Hawks raptor XR which is pretty close to the Itelite range extender. I got mine for free as I was a beta tester for them. I increased my distance by over a mile. With stock I would start to lose video or get broken video at the 1 mile mark. With the 4Hawks I went out to 2.4 miles with no drop in video at all. Now would I have spent the money on them if I did not get them for free, probably not. Stock antennas performing out to 1 mile is plenty for my needs. It is not a project for some people as it involves a lot of small parts and will void your warranty. I do recommend them if you are having a lot of video problems.
I don't use it all the time. I have a set of aftermarket screw on 900MHz and a 5.8GHz antennas to use during the winter. Just easier to use my winter mitt on my RC controller :)

20171026_104601.jpg

Last edited:
A few of us have installed the 4Hawks raptor XR which is pretty close to the Itelite range extender. I got mine for free as I was a beta tester for them. I increased my distance by over a mile. With stock I would start to lose video or get broken video at the 1 mile mark. With the 4Hawks I went out to 2.4 miles with no drop in video at all. Now would I have spent the money on them if I did not get them for free, probably not. Stock antennas performing out to 1 mile is plenty for my needs. It is not a project for some people as it involves a lot of small parts and will void your warranty. I do recommend them if you are having a lot of video problems.
I don't use it all the time. I have a set of aftermarket screw on 900MHz and a 5.8GHz antennas to use during the winter. Just easier to use my winter mitt on my RC controller :)

View attachment 1553
THANKS Augustine,
I certainly don't want to void any warranty.
I also get right at a mile with no extender.
Can get 1.5 miles on a beach with no interference. I just got my new backpack, so I can walk a little longer to get to the right spot. I think I'll just be happy to keep what I've got. After all, my XSTAR PREMIUM hasn't let me down in any way and am very happy with it.
THANKS AGAIN!

I also have the 4Hawks Raptor XR, and have had very similar experience as Agustine, out to 2.4 miles with absolutely no radio or video signal loss. I'm sure it's capable of going quite a ways further, although I don't know that I'll ever try to, just not my thing, other than satisfying my curiosity. My primary reason for installing it was to use when flying autonomous waypoint missions in urban settings within normal flight ranges where a flyaway or crash due to losing signal could be disastrous. I figured it would be worthwhile if it helps prevent that from happening. Due to the bulk of the antenna, together with my iPad, I use it mounted on a tripod. I did the install myself (w/Agustine's guidance), and have been very pleased with the performance. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again; to me, for my purpose, it was a worthwhile purchase.

All that being said, I have 2 controllers; I bought a refurbished model for the 4Hawks antenna modification. If I'm packing or otherwise need the mobility, I use the standard controller. I have no problem with the range, and if I'm flying away out from people, traffic, etc., I'm willing to accept whatever potential risks there might be with a crash due to signal loss (even though I think the chances of that are pretty remote, I think we've all read about or even possibly experienced instances where it happens).

Personally I'm not sure I would go with the 4Hawks if I didn't have the option of using the second controller, just because the additional size and weight is not something I would always want to deal with. It looks like Agustine has a setup where he can switch out the 4Hawks to a more compact antenna when needed. If you just have one controller, that looks like a good way to go.

4HawksRaptor.jpg

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Thing is, when flying waypoint missions, you can initiate the mission....and turn your transmitter off. The bird will fly the mission, and do whatever you programmed it to do, upon completion. All you lose, is the ability to speed up, slow down, yaw, raise or lower elevation, or play with the camera angle.

Thing is, when flying waypoint missions, you can initiate the mission....and turn your transmitter off. The bird will fly the mission, and do whatever you programmed it to do, upon completion. All you lose, is the ability to speed up, slow down, yaw, raise or lower elevation, or play with the camera angle.
While I would like to think that is true, I'm just not sure it is always the case. Attached is a copy of my first attempt at a waypoint mission. On the left is the mission plan, on the right is the flight record from that mission. I launched the XSP, then initiated the mission. It flew to Waypoint 1 as expected, then turned and flew right thru Waypoint 2 without stopping, overshooting by about 30 meters. The bird then stopped and reversed itself, came back to Waypoint 2 and made the turn to Waypoint 3. As it was flying toward Waypoint 3, I got both Loss of Video and App Disconnect errors. It flew right thru Waypoint 3 and kept going for another 130 meters until I initiated RTH, at which point it cancelled the mission and returned home.

It turns out that my connection issues were apparently caused by a combination of using a right angle USB connector and a non-Apple lightning cable. I've never had that happen again since getting rid of the connector and using an Apple cable. The point is that the waypoint mission had been initiated as normal, then due to signal loss the bird decided to fly away on its own. So that's the kind of experience I'm hoping to avoid with the 4Hawks antenna.

Test1.jpg

That is strange, indeed.... As the entire mission gets uploaded to the x-star. I have lost connection with my x-star during waypoint missions, and the controller just gives me a prompt, that the bird will finish, and return home...which it does. As mentioned earlier, just no adjustments can be made to flight attitude.

Reactions: Rawdog
That is strange, indeed.... As the entire mission gets uploaded to the x-star. I have lost connection with my x-star during waypoint missions, and the controller just gives me a prompt, that the bird will finish, and return home...which it does. As mentioned earlier, just no adjustments can be made to flight attitude.
I agree, very strange and something I hope to not see again. I also remember that somewhere around the time I was getting the app disconnect message that I also got a repeat of the same message we get when starting the mission, the one that says "Uploading Mission" or "Uploading Waypoints" or something like that. It seemed kind of like it dumped whatever it had in memory and then attempted to reload the mission (I really wish I would have had a screen recorder going at the time).

Yeah..... Sounds like a trip "home" might be in order. But, with no record, not much to do. Did you say you had the flight records of that? Don't ask me anything about getting them brought back up. Never ventured into that territory yet.

I still have the flight record, but the only error message that popped up on it was the "App Disconnected" message as shown below. I just don't remember exactly where in the sequence of events I got the message about (re)uploading the waypoints.
FlightRec1.jpg

Excuse my ignorance but I thought as soon as the controller is turned off the unit would RTH ?

I purchased the Skytreat as well & notice at the 1 location I tried it, no improvement. Just the other day, at the Ideal spot I guess, I was able to push her out 2.48 miles without any glichtes & at that point she RTH. Stock with no modifications, then sometime I can't even get 100 ft away I get video lose.

Reactions: Tommy Molnar
Hey guys,
Haven't been able to get on forum in a couple days. Just been flying. I decided after watching tutorials on installing the 4 hawks or itelite range extenders, and $250 for an extra remote, I found a spot at a park around my town, between two big trees with shade. I started by flying around a pond with ducks and a fountain, then decided to try a distance test. First of all I decided to fly into the wind on the way out.
I went up to 396 ft. and let it go.
That's where I need y'alls help. I had it set at, max speed 22mph. After 2.2 miles it didn't disconnect, at 38% battery, it said LOW BATTERY, returning home.
My question is; does the drone take into account, the wind? the distance from home? Was going back today, but a cold front is coming thru with a 20 mph wind.
Augustine, Sundog, Normex, or anyone.
Thoughts and or facts?

Don't think it is smart enough to calculate wind and temp but it knows how much battery it needs to get back to home point with a little to spare. Most common distance is about 2.4-2.5 miles before that kicks in.

Don't think it is smart enough to calculate wind and temp but it knows how much battery it needs to get back to home point with a little to spare. Most common distance is about 2.4-2.5 miles before that kicks in.
I agree, I think it just uses location information to calculate the time needed to get home at 22mph. When I got the "Low Battery, Returning Home" message at 2.43 miles, the battery showed 57%, it made it back home and went to 25% as it was descending to land.

No
Excuse my ignorance but I thought as soon as the controller is turned off the unit would RTH ?
In waypoint mode, it will finish the mission.....as the course information is loaded into the pumpkins memory. Always a good idea to program it to return home, upon completion, though......just in case. If something were to happen to your controller, you would have to be able to get to the hover location, and wait for the battery to go critical, if you had it set to hover, upon completion of the mission.

No

In waypoint mode, it will finish the mission.....as the course information is loaded into the pumpkins memory. Always a good idea to program it to return home, upon completion, though......just in case. If something were to happen to your controller, you would have to be able to get to the hover location, and wait for the battery to go critical, if you had it set to hover, upon completion of the mission.
Thank you for the redress on my question, now for all the drone calculation of RTH would it be fair to say that all calculations for remaining battery percentage is based on zero wind and a certain temp. so if one sends the drone against the prevailing wind you have all the chances on your side with the return leg with wind in your back? I think I answered my own question on this one.
Thanks All.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller