Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Range of flight - opened a ticket

intrepidusa

Reaction score
Last night and about 30 minutes ago I took the XSP out for a spin. The same thing happened, at exactly 0.4 miles I got video LOS warning and then RTH kicked in and she flew home. Something doesn't seem right here...supposed to have 1.2 mile range with reports that it's actually much further under great conditions. I was at 300+ feet elevation and had line of sight with no obstructions at that height. Anyone else had any range issues? Last night I wasn't using the Skyreat reflectors but today I was and the exact same result...find that odd...if it was 0.6 today I would say ok, that it's possible interference from all the other signals around me. Thanks for any inputs and I'll keep you posted on what support says.

I attached my map showing the point of RTH.
IMG_0433.JPG

Last edited:
I got the same error today at around 0.5 miles video cut out and go the returning to home. when I checked the video there was no loss of footage. I thought it was because I was near power lines. let me know what happens

Yes it is frustrating as I used to get around .6 mile in agricultural unhabitated land and flat terrain but now with my copper antenna extenders I have much better range (.9 mile) without video interferences and disconnects.

Good luck

Well that puts a damper on things Normex, if you're only getting 0.9 mile with range extenders....what device are you using for the app? I think I figured out that my galaxy tab is causing some interference due to its size, turned off wifi radio and got a little further but not much. Having the device mount right next to the antennas was probably not the ideal location. Going to try covering the back of the device with some reflective material to maybe help? Just won't let the bird get behind me. Seems like a bottom of controller mount would be better but the controller is bulky where you would need to hold it higher with a tablet under it.

Before my Nvidia Shield tablet replacement I had a Nexus 7 3rd gen but it was not approved for the XSP and I had many video interferences plus disconnects and the max I could get was 3000 ft but to be fair I only tried it once with the extenders and will be trying some more this afternoon.

Last night and about 30 minutes ago I took the XSP out for a spin. The same thing happened, at exactly 0.4 miles I got video LOS warning and then RTH kicked in and she flew home. Something doesn't seem right here...supposed to have 1.2 mile range with reports that it's actually much further under great conditions. I was at 300+ feet elevation and had line of sight with no obstructions at that height. Anyone else had any range issues? Last night I wasn't using the Skyreat reflectors but today I was and the exact same result...find that odd...if it was 0.6 today I would say ok, that it's possible interference from all the other signals around me. Thanks for any inputs and I'll keep you posted on what support says.

I attached my map showing the point of RTH.
View attachment 942
Very new at this yet but I was experiencing L.O.S. problems before and after loading 2.0 firmware. What has seemed to have fixed my problem was the purchase of a short braided USB cable made for drones. Got mine from Best Buy for about 18 bucks. I had been using a 6 ft. USB which was not shielded and I think it may have been acting as a antenna picking up lots of interference.

Just came back from a flight and it was nerving, I was approx. .7 mile and it disconnected completely as if the drone was not powered, there was no video or any other activity so the only thing I had left was the RTH and pray because even the RTH did not show fortunately I heard the distant sound as it was coming back. I will open a ticket and can email them the content of the SD card.
It is deceiving but I almost hope they find something wrong so I can get back to appreciate the XSP.

I flew .85 of a mile yesterday and over a hill so no LOS and had signal the whole time. Flew the battery to low discharge and it started initiating RTH.

I frequently cannot see my Drone because of terrain obstacles. I need good signal and range.

I'm thinking about a better cable but waiting on ronwhet to report his results with his new cable.

Not being a butt here, but, I'd like to here a report of several flights at extended range with no problems. Not a one time good flight result. I have faith that ronwhet will give us that report when has time to fly multiple times. :)

I called Autel 1 hr ago and Andrew called back a few minutes ago and reassured me from what I explained that everything was normal, it was my first time to have a total RC disconnect and the drone did exactly what it was supposed to, initiate RTH. Upon further questions answered he asked if I was near a building and I responded I was 100 ft from a house to which my LOS was lost because of that. So everything was normal and I'm very glad and I cannot say anymore of the outstanding service we get from Autel.

Going for another flight without the house this time.

Normex, there are many things that effect how well we connect to our quads. Height, how much foliage, humidity and other signals from cell towers that operate close to our quads signal. How well we position the antennas has a lot to do with it also. I live out in the country and have no problem going 1.2 miles at 200 feet elevation but if I go to the city 23 Kms away to the lake front of Lake Superior at the marina where there is all kinds of wifi stuff going on I can't go 1500 feet with out problems.
It all comes down to where you are at the time.

I agree there are a lot of variables.

I've never saw a flight where I thought my XSP would go 2 or 3 miles without disconnect.

How does DJI do that?

Good friend of mine has flown his DJI Mavic 4 miles many times. I would never have a need for that distance. But I'd like to be consistent less than a mile. When I get close to that mile mark I start worrying. Rarely will my XSP go a mile without disconnects of some kind. I totally 100% fly rural.

Just came back from the last flight as darkness fell, this flight was at 100 ft and did not have a disconnect but video interference was the norm for the whole flight.
I plan another flight with same route at 250 ft this time to see if any changes occurs. Even if our land is flat all over we have field perimeters that contain trees 1 or 2 wide.
It would have been nice if these were not so much at play, I mean look at the footage from the post of Polishing the x-star into a cinema camera, it is almost to be jealous of, I know different location different circumstances.

Thank You All

So on a flight plan using way points, the xstar is not autonomous ? I was under the impression it was just using the GPS satellites to navigate without any signals from you?

I'm afraid I am not at that point since I'm only doing straight and easy flights for now.
Maybe someone else will chime in.

Good Luck

On Facebook now, you should see this guy fly over town and trees with no problem though he is high.

AUTEL X-STAR PREMIUM Owners Group and his name is Andrew

Thanks for all the great info and testing guys. I am going to go to a large clearing this weekend and try a long distance flight again and see what I get. I also ordered some 4.5mil EMI/ESD material that I am going to cover the back of my galaxy tab with just to isolate the tablet from the antennas as best as possible and see if that has any positive impact.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain