Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Relaxing today

I tip my hat to you sir, quite the setup and ingenious in the way of the water stuffer.
Very grateful for you to let me in on your set up. What a great coincidence it has been for me today with my first 6 lbs of brisket smoking :)

I spent almost $300.00 of rubs and marinades at Capella last Thursday evening, I know they're overpriced.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Damn I'm hungry now! Does your elk farm friend sell and ship to the US at all? Hard to get elk down here in Florida, venison and buffalo is about all I can get that is any good.

No
He just does a hobby farm. He is getting to the point of doing in all his herd. Lots of extra work when your suppose to be retired LOL

Nothing wrong with buffalo.
My go to bar down the street used to sell buffalo burgers. The owner had a game farm also. Raised all kinds of strange animals. Even had a Lama that spit at you :)
His name was Elvis

20170917_182759_rmscr.jpg 20170917_182820_rmscr.jpg 20170917_182844_rmscr.jpg 20170917_182853_rmscr.jpg

I am too hasty as it was my less thicker half so the thicker is at 174 deg. roughly 40 more minutes :)
Of course I'll wait some and cut the #1 part for us to try , it is very juicy.

Awesome read in this thread! Great job guys!!
Here is a picture I took yesterday at our potluck. Lamb cooked with pecan, mesquite and apple wood chips and the bourbon was basted on for hours with branches of rosemary.
20170916_180154.jpg

here's the first half, cut
as the taste goes it is very good but I am a bit disappointed for its lack of tenderness as it is a bit hard to pull apart
I'm hoping the thicker cut will be more tender.

Attachments

• IMG_0185.JPG
    IMG_0185.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Thank you. It was very good. I wasn't the one who brought or cooked it though (I did donate the pecan chips). I brought home made garlic fingers that I made on a pizza stone on the BBQ grill with my home made donair sauce (donairs and garlic fingers is an east coast Canada thing). I'm sure you and Agustine have heard of it or even had it.

Here is a recipe and method many of my friends use that have the mes smoker.

"Brisket Flat (On The MES)

I did this awhile back, but I never posted it here, however since people have been asking for it, I decided to post it here.
It could be real handy for a first time "Brisketeer" who's only smoking a Flat.

Rinse Brisket flat & pat dry with paper towels.
After trimming, score through 1/8" to 1/4" fat cap (into meat) in diamond pattern.
Coat with A1 Original (or Worcestershire "Thick") & a rub. I got this rub from Paul (BEER-B-Q). Excellent rub! [RIP Paul, my brother]
Wrap in saran wrap, set in foil, and put in fridge over night.

Next Day:
6:45----------Pre-heat smoker to 220˚.
7:00----------Put Brisket on second shelf of MES 40.
7:15----------Bump heat up to 230˚.
7:30----------Fill AMNS with Hickory Dust, light one end, and place it on the bars to the left of the chip drawer assembly.
1:30----------Brisket hits 160˚ internal temp----Foil and add very simple mixture (below) to foil, and put back in smoker.

Foil mixture:
Apple juice----------------------------6 ounces
Kens Teriyaki Marinade------------1 ounce
BBQ Sauce (your favorite)---------2 ounces

4:45----------Brisket hits 200˚ internal temp----Shut off heat in smoker, but leave Brisket in foil in smoker.
5:00----------Open smoker door to allow heat to get down to 190˚ in smoker.
5:45----------Remove Brisket at 202˚ internal temp, take pictures, slice, eat.

Allow juice saved from foiled Brisket to cool in fridge over night.
Remove fat from top, and use for Au Jus "

Reactions: Tufargon
Much obliged Agustine, this goes in my recipe folder and credits will be to a nice guy in Thunderbay.
With my pic, you can tell it is lacking tenderness but it will still be good chow.
Crossing my fingers for the next cut ....should I bring it to 200 deg?

Btw you didn't mention for how many pounds for your above post?

Last edited:
The average size of a brisket is 8-12 pounds so it really does not matter to much. Besides you are cooking to internal temp so one might be done sooner than another. Using your PID control it is pretty hard to screw it up. :)

I would like to ask you Agustine as I'm about to purchase an Amazen tube now I have a place in Toronto that sells both 6" and 12"
If I would buy the 12", can I fill it halfway to burn like a 6" ? I would have the longer if in need.

One last thought on the mailbox mod for the smoker; with the amazen pellet tube should be pretty easy to light up but what about wood chips, is it simply a small tin container which would be filled with the chips and start the burning with a torch, ...trying to see if the wood chips would make a similar burn if with the stock configuration with the smoker.

I appreciate your thoughts or comments on this thank you.

I never have used wood chips. I did get a free bag of sawdust with one of my amazen products and it worked OK. I use pellets now all the time. You do have to buy a good brand of pellets and not let them get damp or they don't burn very well. They keep going out. With the tube smokers all the littel holes get plugged up after many uses and cleaning them out is a pain. When first lighting it at the end with a torch let it burn for a few minutes before blowing out the flame. I think they recommend 5 minutes but I am not sure on that.

Thank you Agustine, the reason I asked is because I have many bags of wood chips and my son likes to use them for doing his Salmon. I tend to use the Amazen pellets as well.
Going to try the wood chips with the Amazen 5X8 and see if I get a good burn with it.
Here's what I plan to build,

Attachments

• mailboxmod.jpg
    mailboxmod.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 2
Since we were talking about the 12 inch tube smoker I took mine out into the garage and put in the vice. Got a philips screw driver that fit the holes to clean them out from creosote buildup.
Wow there are a lot of holes to clean. Got it done and should be good for another 2 years :)

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58