Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Samsung Tab A tablet issue

Mine's got one of them dume-a-flitchies (AKA ferrite bead) on it too, but it's on the opposite end! Maybe that's the reason my drone's been flying backwards.

Reactions: Bigbit
Un-necessary, huh? Do you folks who have drop outs, and loss of connection, have the choke on your video feed link? I coiled my extra USB cable up in a neat package, and put 3 small zip ties on it, to keep it neat. That is another form of choke. I have since, to have a loss of link to the tablet, or phone. Now, just the occasional "Flew too far away" controller drop.

Here is a good explanation of ferrite beads . I have them in control systems for noise control internally in the system

Un-necessary, huh? Do you folks who have drop outs, and loss of connection, have the choke on your video feed link? I coiled my extra USB cable up in a neat package, and put 3 small zip ties on it, to keep it neat. That is another form of choke. I have since, to have a loss of link to the tablet, or phone. Now, just the occasional "Flew too far away" controller drop.

Never had a problem with drop outs. No need for a fancy cord or to to wrap it up carefully. If you are having drop outs you have other problems.

The cord which came with my xstar has the ferrite bead(gizmo)on it but i am using a regular USB cord to hook up my ipad mini. It seems to work fine on the xstar and also on my Mavic

Mine never came with any ferrite bead cord. I been using the stock cord with no ferrite bead and have had no problems.

My Samsung tablet worked great PRIOR to firmware update. After update the tablet will not work at all. iPhone will connect the App but it is very slow to connect.

Tried uninstalling app and reinstalling, no change. Tried to redownload firmware, no change.

Any ideas??

Never had a problem with drop outs. No need for a fancy cord or to to wrap it up carefully. If you are having drop outs you have other problems.
Well, there must be some reason why manufacturers spend the extra expense to include chokes on their equipment. I'm an extra class radio amateur, and I can tell you of numerous times where I've had to use ferrite cores, or chokes, on leads between equipment, or antennas. It could be that autel used them to isolate the controller from possible clock harmonics from the processor in whatever phone, or tablet, was used with the controller. Or harmonics from other 2.4, 5.8, or 900 mHz controllers. Or... maybe the other way around...to protect your device from harmonics emitted by the controller.

Reactions: jchasa
Well, there must be some reason why manufacturers spend the extra expense to include chokes on their equipment. I'm an extra class radio amateur, and I can tell you of numerous times where I've had to use ferrite cores, or chokes, on leads between equipment, or antennas. It could be that autel used them to isolate the controller from possible clock harmonics from the processor in whatever phone, or tablet, was used with the controller. Or harmonics from other 2.4, 5.8, or 900 mHz controllers. Or... maybe the other way around...to protect your device from harmonics emitted by the controller.
Well like I said my xstar did not come with that kind of cord. Bought new in Jan. 2017 so maybe it has been added since then. No idea but mine works great. I had to clean the camera contacts once to solve the App disconnect but it has worked perfect after using contact cleaner on them.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: KunBow
QuadSquad is right. RF chokes are commonly used on interconnecting cables like that to reduce the risk of transmitting interfering signals in either or both directions. The associated technical issues are complex can be fully understood only after studying underlying physics and associated mathematics, but the simple bottom-line for those who don't use algebra every day is that it can be clearly explained (by means of algebra) why they provide no noticeable difference in some cases and huge improvements in others.

Wavelengths are so short at 5.8MHz, for example, that USB cable-length differences as small as an inch or two can make a big difference in the amount of transmitted interference, but that is only one of a huge array of factors that also affect whether or not they will provide a benefit in individual cases. Ferrite-core chokes are so inexpensive that it generally is more cost-effective to simply provide them in all cases where they might help than it is to test and use them only where they are actually needed in individual cases.

Rest assured, Augustine, I wasn't trying to "one-up" you. It may have been an afterthought...you know autel. But, even the shield of a cable, can act as an antenna, an introduce rf interference into a system.

Rest assured, Augustine, I wasn't trying to "one-up" you. It may have been an afterthought...you know autel. But, even the shield of a cable, can act as an antenna, an introduce rf interference into a system.

Whatever works to fix the problem. I do have some very cheap cables and the end that fits into my tablet is loose. They do cause problems. I can't even use them on my phone to charge it because they are so loose. The one that came with the quad fits nice and snug. So far so good.

Well like I said my xstar did not come with that kind of cord. Bought new in Jan. 2017 so maybe it has been added since then. No idea but mine works great. I had to clean the camera contacts once to solve the App disconnect but it has worked perfect after using contact cleaner on them.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
An X-Star Premium I purchased in September 2016 and a new one I received three weeks ago both came with a ferrite-core-choked USB cable. Maybe Autel ran out of the cable they normally provide and substituted a different one during the period when Agustine bought his XSP. There is no need to replace it if it works well the way it is being used, but there is potential for various problems including reduced remote-controller to aircraft communication range and/or mobile device disconnects if a different make or model mobile device is used, excess cable is coiled differently, or if various other things change. Because of those possibiliities, it is considered to be good engineering practice to use choked-cables in applications that are generally like this one.

You have two?? Hey send one my way LOL

There was a lot of talk about USB cables on here some time ago. Many ended up buying the anker usb cable as it was rated the best by many. Just looking over over them today I do not see this ferrite-core thing on them. I think TJ our Admin has one on his, perhaps he can report back about how well it works.

Augustine, you can look up Ham Radio Outlet. I'm not sure of the ferrite material used for the frequencies the x-star runs on. But, you can call them up and ask them....very helpful. You can purchase snap on ferrite cores very cheap. Best way is to make a coil of the extra cord, then, snap the choke over half of the circle. Maybe use 2 or 3 of them, provided they fit. You can't over choke it, so use as many as you like....if that was the reason you were asking about an extra cord. The chokes are very cheap.

Within the last 3 weeks I had purchased an xstar (Wi-Fi) new in box so soon as I opened it I had to update as it had been on store shelf sometime (so I don't know the difference from previous FW versions) . First two quick flights weren't bad I was very impressed (coming from a year of **** phantom flights ) however the battery took a couple hours to charge and after 2 charges it was puffing. I contacted autel who had a new battery shipped out within 24 hours (amazing customer service ) supposedly the battery had just sat way to long untouched. Now I've flown few more times but every time I'm getting app disconnected, I need to bind rc to bird every start up, loss of video signal and again app disconnection even when I'm within 100feet of the bird itself. (Thank god of LCD display on the remote) also I have a very much unwanted gimble tilt, I do adjust it in app bit that doesn't help :/ running a iPad mini2.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

There are a lot of people having the same issue with the App on a Apple product. Some say to sync what ever fights you want to the cloud and then delete and reinstall it to the ipad. Some say it has fixed their problem. Also when the battery is out take the camera off. Clean the contacts with rubbing isopropyl alcohol and Q-tip or if you have contact cleaner use that.
Hope that helps.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy