Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Shhhh. don't tell the FAA

dirtracer7207

Reaction score
Sorry had to take advantage of the full moon. Made for a really good night shot.

112172.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Nice pictures.
Correct me if I am wrong here.
From my understanding of night time flying in the USA just because you have your 107 UAS certification, it doesn't mean you lose the ability to fly recreational (non-commercial) flights under the hobbyist rules. Each time you takeoff, you must make a decision whether that flight is under the Part 101 hobbyist (Fly for Fun) rules or the Part 107 commercial (Fly for Work) rules. If your flight is for commercial purposes, then obviously you must fly under the Part 107 rules. However, if your flight is for recreational purposes AND if you have 107 UAS certification, then you can choose to operate that flight under either the Part 101 rules or the Part 107 rules.

If you want to fly a recreational, non-commercial flight at night, you can under the Part 101 rules because they do not specifically forbid night flying. However, you still have to follow the rest of the Part 101 rules like keeping the aircraft in visual line-of-sight and notifying all airports within 5 miles.

The "Fly for Fun" rules also state "MUST follow community-based safety guidelines" (which turns guidelines into rules); the un-named community based guidelines is widely understood to mean the Academy of Model Aeronautics, not just your apartment building manager's so-called community.

"RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times. Hand-held illumination systems are inadequate for night flying operations."

That is an excellent shot well done. I don't think anybody would take you to task for that shot out there. If you did that over here they would probably put you an the rack.

Nice job, actually went out last night for the same thing. My problem by the time it got high enough to see here I couldn’t get a pic, sucks sometimes leaving in the trees.... good job

Nice pictures.
Correct me if I am wrong here.
From my understanding of night time flying in the USA just because you have your 107 UAS certification, it doesn't mean you lose the ability to fly recreational (non-commercial) flights under the hobbyist rules. Each time you takeoff, you must make a decision whether that flight is under the Part 101 hobbyist (Fly for Fun) rules or the Part 107 commercial (Fly for Work) rules. If your flight is for commercial purposes, then obviously you must fly under the Part 107 rules. However, if your flight is for recreational purposes AND if you have 107 UAS certification, then you can choose to operate that flight under either the Part 101 rules or the Part 107 rules.

If you want to fly a recreational, non-commercial flight at night, you can under the Part 101 rules because they do not specifically forbid night flying. However, you still have to follow the rest of the Part 101 rules like keeping the aircraft in visual line-of-sight and notifying all airports within 5 miles.

The "Fly for Fun" rules also state "MUST follow community-based safety guidelines" (which turns guidelines into rules); the un-named community based guidelines is widely understood to mean the Academy of Model Aeronautics, not just your apartment building manager's so-called community.

"RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times. Hand-held illumination systems are inadequate for night flying operations."

Well to be honest I guess I was unaware of Part 101. And was only going off of Part 107. Which I am studying to take the test anyways. Reading through that I thought we had to stay within the 400 feet, line of sight, no night flight, and not over people. I will have to read into Part 101. Thanks.

Rkyleh; Yea I love it out here, although I was thinking about driving south 160 into vegas just at the hill and seeing if I could get a vegas shot.

Well to be honest I guess I was unaware of Part 101. And was only going off of Part 107. Which I am studying to take the test anyways. Reading through that I thought we had to stay within the 400 feet, line of sight, no night flight, and not over people. I will have to read into Part 101. Thanks.

Rkyleh; Yea I love it out here, although I was thinking about driving south 160 into vegas just at the hill and seeing if I could get a vegas shot.

The only thing I can think of that might make this different is how the aircraft is registered, or not. If using an aircraft that was registered for commercial use for a recreational night flight there could easily be a violation of the rules since a commercially registered aircraft would have to be equipped with a lighting system that was approved under commercial rules. The aircraft itself would have been operated illegally unless a waiver had been obtained beforehand.

Reactions: dirtracer7207

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain