Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Simulated Flight Mode

Wildseyed

Reaction score
While doing some exploration into functionality of the various USB ports on the XSP, I found an Easter egg (to me anyway) in the controller. By holding down the start motors button while powering on the controller, I was able to enter SIMULATED FLIGHT mode. I had the mini-usb port connected to my PC at the time, but I have not determined if the port is detected as some device in windows. When not in simulated flight mode, this USB port show up as a serial port, but there is no communication present.

There is a simulator for PX4, so my bet is that this might work there. More testing needed.

I tried holding down other buttons, and found that holding down TAKE OFF will calibrate the sticks. Holding down both buttons (START MOTORS and TAKEOFF) puts the controller into another calibration mode, but I don't know if it works. Does not seem to do anything in this mode.

Cool! Thanks for doing the research on your controller. :)

It appears to be a deprecated function included in the firmware. It was probably easier not to remove it. The way to enter the mode is to release the START MOTORS button as soon as you feel the first vibration at startup. The USB ports are disabled when entering this mode, so Windows does not detect anything. After I exit the mode, Windows 7 detects a Remote Control, but no driver is available. Interestingly, on my tablet, Windows 10 detects the port as USB Serial.

I'm trying to track down three app developers who worked at AR around 2016. They were working on a second app for flight planning. I came across them when I first got on these forums, but I didn't think to bookmark their information. Assuming they are not under NDAs, and are willing to indulge some inquiries, I think they could shed some light on some of the projects at AR that never saw the light of day. I suspect there was an X-Star flight simulator planned along with the SDK that never materialized.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy