Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Taking photos of the Eclipse

Medina Signs

Reaction score
We are having a total eclipse of the Sun in my area in April. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to take a successful photo of the event. Filters? Cameral settings?
EVO 2 pro 6 K.

I think there could be some interesting videos (maybe a time lapse of the area being plunged into totality, but I was wondering what it might take to get a photo of the Sun and Moon.

You still want at least a 200mm (400mm would be better) lens attached to a higher megapixel body for a decent shot of the eclipse itself. Your drone will be too wide-angled to really appreciate what you're seeing with your eyes.

I plan to shoot with both a drone for the horizon effect during Totality and a setup as described above with a solar filter to document the sun/moon interaction and another mirror less to grab local ground effects.

Thanks for the input - Agree that the length of the lens is insufficient.
Would you consider the Autel 6K a high mega pixel camera?
I would also think it's possible to burn out the optics of the camera if it were to look right into the sun. Would you agree?
Also, I have not seen a solar filter available to affix to the Autel camera. I have the standard ND filters only.

Thanks again

I wouldn't for what you are wanting to do. It has a 1" sensor, not a full sensor or 4/3 sensor, which you would want.

You would definitely want a solar filter for all but Totality or you will burn your sensor. I don't think they make any because there's not really a use case for it on a drone. You can buy a film that you can cut to put over it or other lenses however, it will just need a solar rating.

Why on Earth are you wanting to shoot the eclipse with a drone? What do you hope to gain?

Reactions: herein2021
Why on Earth are you wanting to shoot the eclipse with a drone? What do you hope to gain?
Yep, you're right. What was I thinking? No point in burning out the camera - no solar lenses available anyway. I was just looking for a way to get a good shot.
It was a good learning experience reading up on the matter, best to let the photogs with the right equipment take care of that job.

I agree, why would you use a drone when you can do it with a regular camera? The only reason I could think of would be if you wanted to include the eclipse in scenic panorama.

I agree as well - I do hope to be in the air that day and will see if I can get some interesting shots of the shadowing on the groung.

I personally am just going to look at the pictures online that others have taken with all of their specialized setups.....not going to risk my gear on an unpaid project like that.

As others have already stated, a drone is just not the right platform to film an eclipse, the lens is too wide, the resolution is too low, and the risk is too high that you will damage your sensor.

IMO the best way to enjoy a picture of an eclipse is to look at the ones taken by organizations like NASA with their multi-million dollar telescopes that we tax payers bought them.

Reactions: JoeLypowy
What about a time lapse done by the drone with a solar film filter ? Just thinking out loud?

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marwan