Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

The DoD is wary of Spec. Ops using Chinese drones

Yup, more from my buddy who keeps up on this stuff. Just some copy ans paste from some of his post.

"
Anyone currently doing drone work for the U.S. government using drones, hang to to your hat. A ban on all COTS drones is coming down the pipe from the military side. If you're currently flying any of the consumer brands you need to start looking for something that's not being actively marketed to consumers. I can't give more on the subject but be prepared.

Short version here has anything utilized by the some levels of government has to establish there is no way for a manufacturer to link with the aircraft outside of the customer operation, and all collected data must be secure.

I’m aware of a recent joint infrastructure exercise between military and civilian LEA’s where all COT’s drones were forbidden shortly before the start of the exercise. Of course DJI was the brand in the majority of the COT’s products, which generated a lot of civilian LEA aggravation.

Just guessing here but I would not be surprised to learn of a requirement for secure data and C2 linkage along with an outright prohibition of any system that possessed web linkage capability or the option to use a phone, tablet, or other device that might connect at any time with a cell tower or web server.

As smaller government agencies that coordinate with DHS and military agencies learn of the issues causing the ban I believe we’ll see an impact. There’s already been one large military-civilian critical infrastructure joint exercise take place where all the civil agencies found out they could not use their stuff after they arrived on scene. Only a select few multirotors were allowed to be operated, none of them from consumer level manufacturers."

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Yup, more from my buddy who keeps up on this stuff. Just some copy ans paste from some of his post.

"
Anyone currently doing drone work for the U.S. government using drones, hang to to your hat. A ban on all COTS drones is coming down the pipe from the military side. If you're currently flying any of the consumer brands you need to start looking for something that's not being actively marketed to consumers. I can't give more on the subject but be prepared.

Short version here has anything utilized by the some levels of government has to establish there is no way for a manufacturer to link with the aircraft outside of the customer operation, and all collected data must be secure.

I’m aware of a recent joint infrastructure exercise between military and civilian LEA’s where all COT’s drones were forbidden shortly before the start of the exercise. Of course DJI was the brand in the majority of the COT’s products, which generated a lot of civilian LEA aggravation.

Just guessing here but I would not be surprised to learn of a requirement for secure data and C2 linkage along with an outright prohibition of any system that possessed web linkage capability or the option to use a phone, tablet, or other device that might connect at any time with a cell tower or web server.

As smaller government agencies that coordinate with DHS and military agencies learn of the issues causing the ban I believe we’ll see an impact. There’s already been one large military-civilian critical infrastructure joint exercise take place where all the civil agencies found out they could not use their stuff after they arrived on scene. Only a select few multirotors were allowed to be operated, none of them from consumer level manufacturers."
Wow......And, it’s the same reason the US Govt had to get rid of many brands of WiFi routers & modems. God knows what kind of backdoors the Chinese have baked-in...

Reactions: Tommy Molnar

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d