Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

The promised firmware update first quarter of 2017, still coming?

Not much we can do with an app without the 'firmware'

It was a video to get Autel off their butts to give the consumers what they have promised in the month of May. Something they have not delivered.
I posted this to their facebook page and about 30 minutes later they came up with this little trinket.

"
Hongfei AR shared a link.
1 hr
Hello, X-Star Owners,
We are working to release a new version of the Android app soon V2.0.3.18. The main features we have added in this version are:
1. Offline Mission Planner: Users can create/edit/save waypoint mission when the aircraft is offline.
2. Find My X-Star: Displays the last 3 positioning points+ key flight data on the map view when the aircraft is disconnected.
3. Photo Sharing: Users can share JPEGs and videos within 1080P.

If you would like to try (or beta test) the app prior to the official release, you can do so by following below steps.
Disclaimer - Please note that this is a beta version of Android Starlink App which is still undergoing final testing before its official release. Any downloading or using the app is done at the user’s own will and risk and the user will be solely responsible for any issues that result from such activities.
Should you encounter any bugs, glitches, lack of functionality or other problems with the app, please let us know immediately by sending an email to: [email protected] and provide a detailed description of the issues and the model of the mobile device you are using. Your help in this regard is greatly appreciated.
To use the beta app,
First, use your mobile device to visit this link: Sign in - Google Accounts
Second, Login with your Google Playstore registered account, if you are not already logged in.
Third, Click the "Become a Tester".
Fourth, click the link - download the Autel robotics Starlink app on google play. ( the link is normally sitting toward the bottom of the page )
Fifth - Click "Install" and you will get the download installed.
At any time, if you do not want to use the beta app, or want to revert back to the google play store app, you can search “Autel Starlink” in Google Playstore, and at the bottom of the “Starlink” app page, click “LEAVE” to leave the beta test group. Then uninstall the beta app, and you will be able to re-install the Playstore released app."

Augustine,

Way to go! Somebody needed to light the fires and kick tires. I think you're little video had a mild but effective message, although this is conjecture. You're right about a trinket. That little gem is of hardly any value. He, HongFei addresses the Starlink app, for android only, and not the firmware update. WTF?
I think Natalie Cheng, Director of Communications with Autel is going to have a huge PR problem if she doesn't clear the air real soon. This could be bigger than one customer's vlog or another ones rant. Just think how DJI could exploit this.:cool:

Reactions: Arbaxter
Hello, X-Star Owners,
We are working to release a new version of the Android app soon V2.0.3.18. The main features we have added in this version are:
1. Offline Mission Planner: Users can create/edit/save waypoint mission when the aircraft is offline.
2. Find My X-Star: Displays the last 3 positioning points+ key flight data on the map view when the aircraft is disconnected.

Wow, all these months of waiting and they added a whole THREE options? o_O(sigh)

Wait.... Is this saying that they're beta testing the "application" or the firmware? The iOS app works fine, so is this just an Android app update?

--Ryan

The new app is for android at this time. The ISO app will probably be out in a week or so. For ISO apps its not the developers fault for late release times as APPLE has their stupid hands in it. The app need apples approval and sometimes takes awhile.

Talking with Hongfei AR from autel he said firmware still has a couple of problems to be sorted out.
At this point I really don't care anymore. If it comes out thats a bonus. If not I will just keep doing what I like doing and thats flying my XSP :)

It was a video to get Autel off their butts to give the consumers what they have promised in the month of May. Something they have not delivered.
I posted this to their facebook page and about 30 minutes later they came up with this little trinket.

"
Hongfei AR shared a link.
1 hr
Hello, X-Star Owners,

If you would like to try (or beta test) the app prior to the official release, you can do so by following below steps.
Disclaimer - Please note that this is a beta version of Android Starlink App which is still undergoing final testing before its official release. Any downloading or using the app is done at the user’s own will and risk and the user will be solely responsible for any issues that result from such activities.
Should you encounter any bugs, glitches, lack of functionality or other problems with the app, please let us know immediately by sending an email to: [email protected] and provide a detailed description of the issues and the model of the mobile device you are using. Your help in this regard is greatly appreciated.
To use the beta app,
First, use your mobile device to visit this link: Sign in - Google Accounts
Second, Login with your Google Playstore registered account, if you are not already logged in.
Third, Click the "Become a Tester".
Fourth, click the link - download the Autel robotics Starlink app on google play. ( the link is normally sitting toward the bottom of the page )
Fifth - Click "Install" and you will get the download installed.
At any time, if you do not want to use the beta app, or want to revert back to the google play store app, you can search “Autel Starlink” in Google Playstore, and at the bottom of the “Starlink” app page, click “LEAVE” to leave the beta test group. Then uninstall the beta app, and you will be able to re-install the Playstore released app."
Agustine, are you going to be the guinea pig?

Wow, all these months of waiting and they added a whole THREE options? o_O(sigh)

Wait.... Is this saying that they're beta testing the "application" or the firmware? The iOS app works fine, so is this just an Android app update?

--Ryan

--Ryan
"The main features we have added in this version" sounds like there are possibly some other features also.

Nothing other then the waypoint option.

Does this reach the level of having "mapping" capabilities, or will we still be limited to the safe-area radius surrounding Home position?

I understand caution, but limiting the radius/range in Waypoint mode to a less than a third of the drone's advertised max range is silly. It also makes it a less valuable tool versus the capabilities of the closest competition (i.e. dee jay aye, aka those whose name we do not speak ;) ).

--Ryan

Does this reach the level of having "mapping" capabilities, or will we still be limited to the safe-area radius surrounding Home position?

I understand caution, but limiting the radius/range in Waypoint mode to a less than a third of the drone's advertised max range is silly. It also makes it a less valuable tool versus the capabilities of the closest competition (i.e. dee jay aye, aka those whose name we do not speak ;) ).

--Ryan

You still have that safe circle. One way I was told to over come this is to make your mission and fly to it. Once there you can make a new home point inside the circle and fly the mission. Never tried that yet and not sure if I will.

I really don't think we will see any capabilities for mapping until outside sources start to use the APK package offered from Autel.

Reactions: TAMU1996
Autel did say that the SDK has already been released, so come on Lichi...do your thing!!

I talked to my friend Tuna today. He has made the app UAV toolbox for the Yuneec Typhoon H. Very nice app for that platform. Anyways he signed up with Autel for the developers SDK. I wanted him to know some of the more asked for options that we are missing.

"If you ever get into doing development for Autel two things keep popping up on most facebook pages and forums is getting rid of the safe circle Autel uses for its waypoint missions and the other big one is getting some kind of mapping program."

His answer was this. Not very reassuring for a company that wanted to expand. I'm starting to think Autel is a dead horse. :(

"Autel have gone pretty quiet lately from my point of view. I'm registered as interested in their SDK, but haven't heard anything after the initial acknowledgement"

Yeah; that's too bad. They really are *way* behind when it comes to software. I like the platform and I'm glad I at least tried them out, but at this point I'm not expecting anything more from them. Now I'm saving up my pennies and dimes so that I can build a larger scale hex (like a Tarot 810 or something similar), and unfortunately it's going to have to be based on DJI electronics and Mission Planner type software.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
My feeling is also that they won't be around for very long. They are probably not selling enough drones plus I have seen very little if any advertisement on their side.

My feeling is also that they won't be around for very long. They are probably not selling enough drones plus I have seen very little if any advertisement on their side.
Hope not , really like this company. Really love my xps

agree with your sentiment, Tom. There
I agree with your feeling Tom.
There are facts that show that some things do not work well in Autel.
The incredible delay in updating the firmware of its only UAV that actually sold shows it
We believed that Autel could have been an alternative to DJI, but we see that they are far from being.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy