Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

UAV flying just became very expensive in Canada

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
Come this summer you better have very deep pockets to fly your UAV in Canada thanks to Transport Canada. I would guess this will kill about 99% of all operators in Canada. Professional and hobbyists alike will be affected. Unless you're using the drone to make lots money, it's hard to justify this drone thing as a hobby now. Cost of license, mandatory training, insurance, etc... all that and you can't fly in most places.

New drone rules coming | Watch News Videos Online

This really is just a marketing piece for Bow Valley College. Nothing they’ve said is new information. There will be a requirement to take a test but as far as I’m aware you won’t be required to take (and pay) for a course... just pass a Transport Canada exam.

If you go to Transport Canada's site and look at the proposed rules it is easy to say these two guys are just out marketing themselves and only told part of the truth to benefit their business. When they included micro drones in the conversation that was a very false statement. To me it looked like they were using the most advanced category (complex operation) which most of us would never fit into anyways. The "operate a drone that meets a design standards" would put most of the companies out of business. Transport Canada's design standards for a drone in that category costs anywhere from $10,000.00 and up.
I also blame Global news for not doing better research, all they had to do was go look at Transport Canada's site to see the proposed rules.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/proposed-rules-drones-canada.html#liability

Reactions: labrat1957

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials