Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

US regulator: Rules should come this year to help identify drones and their pilots

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
  • The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration is planning to craft rules by this year that would make it easier to identify drones and their pilots, according to a top official.
  • Carl Burleson, acting deputy administrator at the FAA, said the regulatory body is working closely with other agencies and industry to solve problems posed by the rising popularity of drones.
Story Here:
US regulator: Rules should come this year to help identify drones and their pilots

I guess this means we’ll have to put our name and phone number on our drones like Canada? You all do this —— right ?? :) ;).
I’m fearing the day the FAA forces makers to put SOME KIND of transponder on drones — easily traceable and identifiable to you. My friend in D.C. says this is the FAA’s end game — drones are forced to meet the same standards as experimental aircraft. I don’t see how this will work, the electronics are too big and power hungry, but in the future, maybe not...

And then there's this guy that works for the FAA on facebook breaking rules left and right. Sure does make you wonder sometimes :rolleyes:

screenshot-www.facebook.com-2018.02.10-13-16-44.jpeg

screenshot-www.facebook.com-2018.02.10-13-17-30.jpeg

More interesting reading. This was posted by Brendan Schulman, Vice President of Policy & Legal Affairs at DJI.

Attachments

• DJI Remote ID Discussion Paper.pdf
    373.4 KB · Views: 14
Very interesting reading — should be read by every drone pilot. My experience battling tourist helicopters in Hawaii, the FAA is another faceless DC swamp monster looking out for themselves, rather than citizens who pay their salaries. Helicoper lobbyists and the FAA make the rules - never any public hearings...

Aviation Rulemaking Committee = Spanish Inquisition?:)
I do think technology will rescue this effort, but do drone pilots deserve privacy? Pilots don’t have any...

“The mandate for a direct broadcast Remote ID method reflects the needs of law enforcement and public safety officials to be able to identify UAS even in locations without cellular internet connectivity, as well as the conclusion in the ARC Report that “for line of sight operations, public safety concerns do not require publishing of data, though there are benefits to such information being published.”

I'm going to try and stay off the soapbox on this topic in spite of being very passionate about the subject. I know have lived on both sides of the fence and continue to do so on an ongoing basis. Hence, making it difficult to be objective one way or the other.

A few comments (I'm sure you can't wait):

1. The FAA is a bureaucracy, straight up, first and foremost. When reading/dealing with them, keep this in mind and it will reduce your overwhelming desire to hide in the hanger and drink.
  2. Are there bad apples within the FAA, absolutely. I have testified in court against one of the most corrupt officials (in my opinion). If there are 2 or more people in a governmental agency, corruption and abuse exists. But, the same can be said of any profession or career path - lawyers, doctors, engineers, politicians, etc. Pick one. Eventually they get "culled from the flock" unless they get into politics at which time they are home free. So what to do with the "Bad Apples"? Expose them. I don't have a facebook account and won't. I'd like to see his reaction to someone asking him why he thinks he is immune to the regulations established by his employer. I love to take on jerks. I may have to break my "no facebook" rule.
  3. Where are the interests of the "Drone Organizations" represented within the ARC? DJI's presence is both smart AND self serving. They want to help influence the discussion and stay out front of the oncoming legislation.
  4. In true fashion, the ARC has not yet defined the problem sufficiently to come up with solutions, yet. The solutions being discussed are directed at "compliant pilots" while at the same time acknowledging that rogue pilots are creating most of the problems. Which is it? Pick one and focus.
  5. The ARC has not acknowledged the problems posed by "homemade" UAV's, Think "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns."
CAVU

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Oh, Agustine -
What's up with the new image/icon/avatar?

Found something that expresses your new-found personality better? Or do you have ADHD like I do and couldn't help yourself?

I'm going to try and stay off the soapbox on this topic in spite of being very passionate about the subject. I know have lived on both sides of the fence and continue to do so on an ongoing basis. Hence, making it difficult to be objective one way or the other.

A few comments (I'm sure you can't wait):

1. The FAA is a bureaucracy, straight up, first and foremost. When reading/dealing with them, keep this in mind and it will reduce your overwhelming desire to hide in the hanger and drink.
  2. Are there bad apples within the FAA, absolutely. I have testified in court against one of the most corrupt officials (in my opinion). If there are 2 or more people in a governmental agency, corruption and abuse exists. But, the same can be said of any profession or career path - lawyers, doctors, engineers, politicians, etc. Pick one. Eventually they get "culled from the flock" unless they get into politics at which time they are home free. So what to do with the "Bad Apples"? Expose them. I don't have a facebook account and won't. I'd like to see his reaction to someone asking him why he thinks he is immune to the regulations established by his employer. I love to take on jerks. I may have to break my "no facebook" rule.
  3. Where are the interests of the "Drone Organizations" represented within the ARC? DJI's presence is both smart AND self serving. They want to help influence the discussion and stay out front of the oncoming legislation.
  4. In true fashion, the ARC has not yet defined the problem sufficiently to come up with solutions, yet. The solutions being discussed are directed at "compliant pilots" while at the same time acknowledging that rogue pilots are creating most of the problems. Which is it? Pick one and focus.
  5. The ARC has not acknowledged the problems posed by "homemade" UAV's, Think "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns."
CAVU
Well said, you have been on both sides. You’re right, we aren’t represented in any way... “DJI's presence is both smart AND self serving” —Amen. “In true fashion, the ARC has not yet defined the problem sufficiently to come up with solutions, yet”— Amen.
I’ve personally gone after the FAA in Hawaii, over greatly increased tourist helicopter overflights of residential areas. I’ve been on TV, attended many FAA meetings in Honolulu. Filed complaints, resulting in three “investigations”. The investigators were really good folks. Honest, professional. They told me how it’s “fixed”. By law, an FAA inspector must announce to a flight crew who they are, when they board any airplane. The pilots radio the tower at the arrival airport, where word spreads the Gestapo is on the way...

Arriving on my island, the helicopters mysteriously fly well off-shore for the day. They investigate, leave, the helo’s return to flying over town again. Three separate times! The Hilo tower only tracks them 7 miles out, and those records are Top Secret. I’ve tried to get them, thwarted at every turn. We’ve sued to get them, always thrown out. Clearly, the FAA is a hopeless, political, bureaucracy. You can’t beat them, but you can lobby them if you have enough money.

The Big Island of Hawaii is the most overflown (helicopters) area in the USA. The volume is staggering, the noise pollution incredible. The FAA “studies” the issue....for 20+ years. The officials get nice vaca’s, flying over from LA, attend a few meetings, leave w/o any resolution. The Helicopter Association International owns them, always at their table — everyone knows it. Even the National Park Service can’t control overflights of their own parks after decades of complaints to the FAA. Volcano NP had 15,000 last year (2X the Grand Canyon at it’s peak). The Dir. Cindy Orlando, is a friend. She’s furious, but can’t even chip the granite. The FAA is “studying” that issue too.... OK, end of FAA rant, sorry ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
This should get your gears going again HiloHawaiian:

"So this is bad. Unconfirmed as yet, but seems pretty likely to me. I just got back from a vacation to Kauai a few weeks ago in January, and I did some awesome flights with my Mavic there (including some very close to where this happened). While I got lots of gorgeous footage, it was some of the scariest flying I had ever done because of all the tour helicopters. Those things were everywhere! In some popular areas, you'd have a helicopter coming through every two minutes for most of the day.

While I believe most parts of Kauai are Class-G airspace, from a drone operator's perspective, it's probably some of the most crowded airspace in the world. I thought at the time that if there is ever to be a collision between a drone and a helicopter, it would be there.

While I was there, I was extremely careful to avoid manned aircraft and had my wife spotting for me the whole time. Nothing happened, but I had to fly way more cautiously than I would anywhere else, and had to forgo flying a number of places that I otherwise would have because it would involve flying across a valley through a path I had previously seen helicopters flying along. It was extremely nerve wracking, and once I had to take evasive action and dive for the tree tops when my wife spotted an ultralight coming right toward us, which then passed probably 30 feet away from where I was standing on a hiking trail.

Even though I was extremely cautious, I know plenty of other people won't be. I lost count of how many other Mavics I saw people flying there, along with several Inspires. It really made me wonder what's the solution there, since it is obviously a highly desirable place to see from the air, both with manned helicopters and drones. Personally, I both flew my drone AND took a helicopter tour. I don't want to see access diminished for either, but I also don't see the current situation as sustainable.

All I can say is that if you ever plan on flying in Kauai, be extremely careful about it!"

FAA investigates drone collision with Kauai tour helicopter

LOL, gears been goin’ for 3 years. This is a growing problem world-wide. It’s happening in many countries with tourists and scenery. It’s sad. I’m not in favor of getting rid of Helo’s. I think they need to be restricted to controlled altitudes, and whereever possible, well off-shore. Never below 2500’, never over homes, parks, schools, etc., etc. Give NZ credit, they said no to any and all...

What most folks forget when they go on vacation (me too), is people live there. Every tourist helicopter must take off and land at an airport or helipad. Getting to/from the “money” areas means flying over people’s houses each way, all day, 365 days a year. It’s really become a problem in the last 3 years in Hawaii, as large corporations bought most of the tour helicoper companies. They’ve greatly expanded. The rules outside the 5-mile ATC zone (what rules?) are so loose, the oversight (what oversight?) so loose, residents are now victims of some of the worst noise pollution imaginable. Hawaii is committing suicide...

It wouldn’t be too outrageous to think a resident did this on purpose, that’s how mad some locals are, the most militant by far — are on Kauai. They used to slash tires on rental cars— often. Trust me, if you had a 70db+ helicopter pass over your rural jungle house every 10 min., from dawn to dusk, 365 days a year, even Christmas, you’d get-out the pitchforks and torches too. The Big Island is so much bigger, the problem is narrower, but unfortunately, I’m near a series of waterfalls 7 miles from the airport. Quick flights bring in much cash, it’s now like a war zone — why we will probably move. The County Council said no to my barrage balloons idea...

Drones are restricted, unless hacked, to 400’. No helicopters fly at 400’ — unless there’s nothing to stop them from doing so. It’s hard to say who was at fault here. From my observations, probably both, but more drone than Helo. The Napali Coast is incredibly beautiful. I can’t imagine how ruined the experience is hiking that famous trail with constant Helo’s. I haven’t done it in 5 years, and there wasn’t a single one at that time. If it’s now like my area, it’d be nearly non-stop, which would be another paradise-lost zone. 99% of tourists never leave the ground until they fly home. They don’t like it either. Pilots tend to be sympathetic to passengers, and don’t give a crap about anything on the ground. None of them live where they fly, they’re not stupid! Passengers always want to fly lower, and some pilots accommodate. Passengers post videos on YT, often with the pilot’s chatter boasting about going down as low as possible! I’ve used some of these videos against them in meetings (why I’m hated, LOL).

The FAA mandated helicopters fly 2 miles offshore at 2500’ minimum on Long Island, NY. due to noise. How did this happen? There were no public hearings. The Honorable Senator Schumer, D-NY, got complaints from wealthy contributors up in the Hamptons — they didn’t like hearing helicopters all day. The Long Island Rule came to be in a few months as an experiment. It worked, now it’s permanent. Obviously, money talks... SOOOOOO, many in Hawaii want Long Island applied here. The Helo’s have floats. Tourists wouldn’t care, the coast is the prettiest part of most landscapes. It’s the tour companies that care, it takes too long, burning too much fuel. In Long Island, the FAA told the companies to just deal with it. Problem? Hawaiian Senators Hirono & Schaltz have about as much clout as the drive-up attendant at Wendy’s. I’ve spoken to Schaltz myself..... heaven help us if he’s the best we can send to the Senate. I think he’d forget the fries on every order...

Here is a video shot by a friend’s iPhone 2 years ago. I did a rough edit for him. I gave it to Ch. 4 in Honolulu, with his permission. He’s since moved, I think you can see why. He gets the alitiudes wrong, they are closer to 1000’. I posted it unlisted on YT for him (he’s not computer savvy). It’s been used A LOT, he’s in hiding, LOL...

Last edited:
Reactions: Busdriver
Another "special interest travesty". In my opinion, While there are good people working hard at their jobs, the FAA is a breeding ground for bad apples who hide behind their authority and charter.

"I’ve used some of these videos against them in meetings (why I’m hated, LOL)."

Had the Captain of the USS Ranger once tell me "If they love you, request a transfer. If they hate you, your'e doing your job."

Carry on

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller