Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Video Lagging

Dish36

Reaction score
I am new to the XSP, so please excuse if this is a silly question. I have flown the XSP a handful of times and in each flight my videos have been very choppy and laggy in playback on my laptop. Could this be an camera issue or laptop issue? The first couple of flights I filmed in 4k/60fps but today I shot in 1080/120fps both set of videos (once uploaded to laptop) were choppy or seemed to pause then skip forward during playback.

Any advice and input is welcome in advance

Thanks

Reactions: Rawdog
The issue is likely the video card on your laptop struggling to play the video. Try closing apps not in use or close items running in the system tray (lower right corner of screen). I also found that using VLC Media Player did a better job playing video smoother than Windows Media Player. Another thing, if you're playing the videos directly from the microSD thru USB it might be contributing to choppy playback. Copying the video file to the hard drive then playing it can be smoother too.

Reactions: brian bwin
The issue is likely the video card on your laptop struggling to play the video. Try closing apps not in use or close items running in the system tray (lower right corner of screen). I also found that using VLC Media Player did a better job playing video smoother than Windows Media Player. Another thing, if you're playing the videos directly from the microSD thru USB it might be contributing to choppy playback. Copying the video file to the hard drive then playing it can be smoother too.

Thanks for the feedback... That is what I was thinking as well but since I am new to the drone/aerial photo world, I figured I would ask. Autel's customer service echoed that same thought process. suggested I reduce the fps as well.

I am loving the XSP so far. I cant wait to fly it again

If you want to keep shooting in higher frame rates/resolution a workaround I use frequently is:
  1. Shoot in whatever rate/resolution you want your final project to be.
  2. Load footage to your computer.
  3. Batch process/down convert footage to something your system can handle easily (usually 1920x1080 60P for me). I use Adobe Media Encoder but there are programs out there.
  4. Go do something else, haha. Unless you like to sit and watch while the computer crunches numbers :)
  5. Watch converted footage logging the clips you want to use and specific times within those clips. I use an Excel spreadsheet or paper if it's just a few clips.
  6. Load original footage to your editing software in the original frame rate/resolution.
  7. Use your excel or paper log to trim the clips, organize, apply effects, color correction, etc, as needed.
  8. Render project at low resolution/high speed.
  9. Watch project through, make note of any tweaks that need to be made.
  10. Render project at original frame rate/resolution.
A bit annoying but even for my business it just does't make sense to invest in computers capable of processing 4K in real time for at least another year or two.

Happy flying and editing :)

Reactions: Delta Blue
Having the same issue. Im using a Mac Book pro and its still having issues displaying the 4k footage. Going to try 1080 today.

I had that problem and it's not the card it is there computer your using to play the videos. I don't know if it's the cpu or codec but my desktop would not play my 4k 60 fps but my Chromebook would go figure.

Reactions: Fly-a-holic
You're not the only one...lol!!! My PC is running XP still. I have an Evo and a $1000 RC truck though! Lol... I did get the duct tape off my back patio doors before i bought my Evo. . My New Years resolution... Have more fun than I did last year!

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials