Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Well I think this will do it for me

rkyleh

Reaction score
Just watched this one and I don't want the da** thing on the farm. If I could order one stripped down to a flying machine and excellent video maybe. I think all this junk will cause problems down the line.

Reactions: KentA
Just watched this one and I don't want the da** thing on the farm. If I could order one stripped down to a flying machine and excellent video maybe. I think all this junk will cause problems down the line.
Well, we know the Dynamic tracking and OAS works to a certain degree, but it got confused when the guy went to the playground with all those bars, etc. not defending Autel, but I think this technology is fairly new and that it would have problems. Even cars with similar technology have issues with this (i.e. Tesla with their autonomous driving vehicles) - correct me if I'm wrong. Still give Autel and other drone companies the benefit of the doubt to perfect this technology in the future.

Reactions: Normex
I'm not exactly sure what he expected. The Skydio probably could have handled that, but that's a 13 camera Tegra system.

The Evo basically protected itself. Rather than risk a collision, it halted in a safe manner, seems perfectly reasonable. It does look like it is programmed to maintain altitude while avoiding, which is a reasonable choice (works better indoors, stays within ceilling limits, etc).

Reactions: Normex

You have to admit this is obstacle avoidance to the extreme and not once did it crashed so we can accuse it of not finding a way around, I think a firmware should take care of this but........................

Reactions: TEAMERICA
This is why I am leaning toward the Anafi. The OA is hit or miss. The tracking on the EVO is not consistent. The Anafi uses both tracking and GPS to keep its subject in frame. To me it is a over priced door stop with bells and whistles that might work, might not work. Tilted horizon that is anybodies guess when and if it gets fixed is not something I want to buy into.
Parrot needed light construction to meet thier goal, of extended flight time and performance.
Parrot is using high tech carbon fiber and light plastics to keep Anafi light. This can be perceived as lower quality and maybe it is but I think the engineers spent a lot of time on the design and durability of the airframe vs weight.
How many 320 gram drones do we know that can fly near 25 minutes in 30+ mph winds with a 4k camera.

not defending Autel, but I think this technology is fairly new

DJI has had this feature for a couple years now. The jury is still out on the EVO for me as I expected more from Autel, especially when their competition is DJI. I haven't seen anything the Mavic Pro doesn't have and it was released in 2016. They need to surpass DJI if they are to make a good foothold in the market.

As far as active track goes, this is pretty much aligned with what the DJI drones are capable of. In no way is it going "crazy" as the clickbait video claims. Actually, it seemed to remain fairly precautionary. I have other concerns with this drone, but the active track is not one of them... video quality looks decent.

Reactions: Barry and Normex
While I am quick to point out the items Autel has failed to deliver, many parts of that video were just stupid.

The first bit is annoying in that going around the edge of trees is exactly something Autel promised. And the fact that is did not recover him in tracking is potentially in conflict compared to their tracking claims. But honestly that play ground was a dumb place to go. There are hundreds of individual contours to try and evaluate for risk, all done by a little drone that is busy following you, maintaining elevation and recording, with about the same level of intelligence as your cellphone. I'm sure his next video will be "Autel Evo goes crazy because of a bird" as he tries to fly it through a flock of pigeons or a bunch of geese taking off.

What was he thinking anyway? Walking with your back to the drone, very unsafe! He's lucky the EVO really didn't hit him in the back of the head. Rule of thumb, always keep your eyes on the drone.

DJI has had this feature for a couple years now. The jury is still out on the EVO for me as I expected more from Autel, especially when their competition is DJI. I haven't seen anything the Mavic Pro doesn't have and it was released in 2016. They need to surpass DJI if they are to make a good foothold in the market.
you obviously dont own or have read the specs
better flight time
better camera able to zoom 8x and pics taking while recording in 4k
higher altitude limit
rc screen of live camera
faster flight speed
3x directional oa
i could go on but you get the idea.;)

I'm not saying it won't make people happy, I just expected more. And maybe they did too but had to cut some things due to time & budgets. I'm still rooting for Autel.

But to address your post...

- They have the same flight time of 30min. max
- It does shoot at 60fps, so they get the nod... if they fixed the "carrot" lens flare. Also a 1" sensor would have been a plus. The zoom appears to be a cropping of the sensor, so, not useful to me if that's true.
- Height - EVO- none? (couldn't find the data), Mavic 16404’ which is more than enough. But if you climb mountains, the EVO may be a better choice.
- I personally don't look at the Mavic TX screen often, but for some, that may be a plus.
- Speed EVO = 44.7mph Mavic = 40mph, not a huge difference.
- The Mavic Pro only has forward and downward sensors, no rear. The newer Mavic Air does though.

So you can see the Mavic is very similar even though it is 2 years older. That is why I say I expected more. They Mavic Pro II is rumored to be released in a few days (18th). We will see what they have cooked up this time. Will it be the EVO killer? Or will the EVO help Autel to get a bigger foothold on the market? Time will tell.

I'm not saying it won't make people happy, I just expected more. And maybe they did too but had to cut some things due to time & budgets. I'm still rooting for Autel.

But to address your post...

- They have the same flight time of 30min. max
- It does shoot at 60fps, so they get the nod... if they fixed the "carrot" lens flare. Also a 1" sensor would have been a plus. The zoom appears to be a cropping of the sensor, so, not useful to me if that's true.
- Height - EVO- none? (couldn't find the data), Mavic 16404’ which is more than enough. But if you climb mountains, the EVO may be a better choice.
- I personally don't look at the Mavic TX screen often, but for some, that may be a plus.
- Speed EVO = 44.7mph Mavic = 40mph, not a huge difference.
- The Mavic Pro only has forward and downward sensors, no rear. The newer Mavic Air does though.

So you can see the Mavic is very similar even though it is 2 years older. That is why I say I expected more. They Mavic Pro II is rumored to be released in a few days (18th). We will see what they have cooked up this time. Will it be the EVO killer? Or will the EVO help Autel to get a bigger foothold on the market? Time will tell.
the tx screen cab be a lifesaver when table goes and it will
thevo has 26k+heightt limit,a big plus
the oa is such better thers just no comparison
the mp is 2 years old should surpass the evo in every way but doednt,look 2 years from now and see how much it has advanced
do you own an Evo?

the mp is 2 years old should surpass the evo in every way but doednt,look 2 years from now and see how much it has advanced
do you own an Evo?

The EVO does not have a 26000 ft flight ceiling. And who would need to fly at that altitude anyway. Also the video posted above and several others show that the OA is no better then that of a DJI drone. It sounds like you bought one and are grasping at straws. I also want to see the EVO succeed, but false facts won’t win respect.

Last edited:
Reactions: LuvMyTJ
Battery only provides 19mins to 25 mins not 30mins as specified depending on where and how agressive you are flying.

Then of course there's the ongoing Gimbal Horizontal issue that's all over YouTube and Autel even admits to but seems to not have a easy solution to fixing it.

Not mine but some guys email to Autel about the tilted horizon issue.
36601484_2216975751865065_6986779688752381952_n.jpg

With the problems that are cropping up it makes you wonder if they did any R&D I would think something like jerky orbit or horizon tilt would have been taken care of before it hit the shelves. I know, that was the bunch Autel fired!!

And to add to the ever growing list, someone posted today they had a motor burn up.....

Last edited:
you guys obviously dont own an But can only parrot what others have said

do you own an Evo?
a31.gif

Help me out here. You say...
"the mp is 2 years old should surpass the evo in every way but doednt"

And why should a 2 year old Mavic be better than a brand new EVO? Shouldn't the EVO surpass all the Mavics features since it is brand new? And don't forget, no SDK for Autel so no third party apps like Litchi, Autopilot, Hanger, etc. DJI has a large group of third-party developers. So for me, the EVO doesn't tick off enough boxes for me to purchase one at this time. I have most all of that in my current Mavic Pro and if I include my Mavic Air, it covers all the features the EVO has. If you are going to go up against DJI you better bring your "A" game.

Nope, I don't own an EVO. I do own an XSP so I am just a bit familiar with Autel. If I ever own an EVO it will be a second or third version, surely not the first. Autel burned me once, I won't let that happen again. They need to prove themselves before I give them any more of my money. Let's wait 13 more days and see what DJI hatches. My guess is the Mavic Pro II and it will be more advanced than the EVO. Not sure why people are such fanboys... same thing with DJI fans. Let's face it, no company is beyond failing. I am not loyal to any one brand. I do my research and buy what best fits my needs. I have been flying multirotors for just over 6 years now. I have built my own, then bought some DJI products and some others like Autel. I hope Autel does well as competition is good for all of us.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d