Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Well I think this will do it for me

I took it out in the backyard and was doing some tests in the Dynamic modes.

A couple of observations:
The yaw rate seems constrained to be low while tracking, this make it easy to get out of the frame when it's close to you.
It actually seems to work better by just doing the draw box thing, than engaging the specific modes. While in the default dynamic track (rather than a specific tripod,etc), the yaw rate was higher and it kept up.

The obstacle avoidance is set very conservatively. It's not going to like getting within ~10m of things. Watching videos of the Mavic Air, DJI is much less conservative about avoidance. DJI seems better in tight spaces, BUT DJI is also more likely to run into branches, etc.

To some extent the wide-angle lens is not a good match to the current programming. With the wide lens, you want it to be close, but that drives to higher yaw rates.

These are definitely fixable with programming. It's entirely possible that Autel programmed everything to be VERY conservative, so that there wouldn't be complaints about crashes. Honestly, that's not bad a strategy. Once there's more in the field and spare parts on hand, they can tweak to address user concerns.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Good observations Gsa and this is constructive criticisms that should enable the constructors to ameliorate its many uses.
Good going pal.

One thing I’ll say for Autel....they didn’t put up an argument when I returned it to them. They did however lie and state they never advertised the Evo could do mapping. So, I’m done with them. We all know DJI plays stupid, Autel is no better.
Wow! That is a straight up bold-face lie! I think my mind is made up. This company is just going to continue their same M.O. until they are bought out or go out of business.

Wow! That is a straight up bold-face lie! I think my mind is made up. This company is just going to continue their same M.O. until they are bought out or go out of business.
Did Autel say it would do mapping? I had not seen that. Can anyone provide a link?
If they release an SDK and it becomes a good seller, people will make apps for it. But it will have to prove itself first so anyone looking to map in the near future better look at other options.

I took it out in the backyard and was doing some tests in the Dynamic modes.

A couple of observations:
The yaw rate seems constrained to be low while tracking, this make it easy to get out of the frame when it's close to you.
It actually seems to work better by just doing the draw box thing, than engaging the specific modes. While in the default dynamic track (rather than a specific tripod,etc), the yaw rate was higher and it kept up.

The obstacle avoidance is set very conservatively. It's not going to like getting within ~10m of things. Watching videos of the Mavic Air, DJI is much less conservative about avoidance. DJI seems better in tight spaces, BUT DJI is also more likely to run into branches, etc.

To some extent the wide-angle lens is not a good match to the current programming. With the wide lens, you want it to be close, but that drives to higher yaw rates.

These are definitely fixable with programming. It's entirely possible that Autel programmed everything to be VERY conservative, so that there wouldn't be complaints about crashes. Honestly, that's not bad a strategy. Once there's more in the field and spare parts on hand, they can tweak to address user concerns.
I have forund the APAS mode on the Mavic Air to be pretty impressive. I have tested it with varying ground levels and obstacles (tress, etc) and it has done very well.

Their very first promo video was showing mapping. That promo video has since been removed from their site. I think someone said there are videos of Autel CS people at CES 2018 saying it will do mapping but you would have to sift through a ton of Youtube videos to find it and no I have better things to do :)

Reactions: LuvMyTJ
Their very first promo video was showing mapping. That promo video has since been removed from their site. I think someone said there are videos of Autel CS people at CES 2018 saying it will do mapping but you would have to sift through a ton of Youtube videos to find it and no I have better things to do :)
Well then shame on Autel for making false promises (again:rolleyes:). DJI has many mapping options as well as Yuneec.

They also had it as a section about the EVO on the website. Because the site content is side loaded it was not captured by the wayback machine either (pretty sneaky sis).

They still have a video on their Youtube channel specifically about mapping.

Mapping was not something I particularly looking for, however I had discussed this feature with my wife as something I was looking forward to using.

I suspect it was removed from the site about the time they scrubbed the references to 900Mhz.

I think I will make a game of following their future releases and catching screen captures as it changes.

Did Autel say it would do mapping? I had not seen that. Can anyone provide a link?
If they release an SDK and it becomes a good seller, people will make apps for it. But it will have to prove itself first so anyone looking to map in the near future better look at other options.
Straight from their site...

Thanks Bob that was the one I was thinking about.

I wasn't sure if that was what you were referring to as they also had it in part of a larger introduction video where it was a 30 second embedded segment .

DJI has had this feature for a couple years now. The jury is still out on the EVO for me as I expected more from Autel, especially when their competition is DJI. I haven't seen anything the Mavic Pro doesn't have and it was released in 2016. They need to surpass DJI if they are to make a good foothold in the market.
you really dont see anything the Evo has that the mavic dont?

you really dont see anything the Evo has that the mavic dont?
With the Mavic Pro II to be (rumored) to be released very soon, the EVO will be outclassed. Check out the (rumored) specs on it when you have some free time. Look, the EVO is cool, and there will be many happy owners of the EVO. I just don't see enough of a difference from the 2 year old Mavic ($800) to the EVO ($1000 and no 3rd party apps) that makes me want to buy one.

I never asked, do you own an XSP?

no just mavic and phantom and you really dont see anything better on the evo,really?

no just mavic and phantom and you really dont see anything better on the evo,really?
The EVO has it's good parts, I am not denying that. I asked if you had owned the XSP to see if you were able to wash the bad taste out of your mouth... most of us who own one cannot. So that is part of the equation I have to take into consideration when thinking about purchasing one, as do the features, etc. I bought into a model (XSP), with lots of promises, a lot of us did, only to have them all broken and pushed aside like yesterdays special after so many delays. So you can see why I am hesitant to jump back in the saddle with Autel. Time will tell if Autel has learned any lessons in the drone market. When the time comes I feel they have shown us they are a good reliable company in it for the long haul, I will be looking for another orange dream from Autel.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
The EVO has it's good parts, I am not denying that. I asked if you had owned the XSP to see if you were able to wash the bad taste out of your mouth... most of us who own one cannot. So that is part of the equation I have to take into consideration when thinking about purchasing one, as do the features, etc. I bought into a model (XSP), with lots of promises, a lot of us did, only to have them all broken and pushed aside like yesterdays special after so many delays. So you can see why I am hesitant to jump back in the saddle with Autel. Time will tell if Autel has learned any lessons in the drone market. When the time comes I feel they have shown us they are a good reliable company in it for the long haul, I will be looking for another orange dream from Autel.
i can feel where your coming from and coming back from a burn can leave a bad taste but to ignore the things the evo can do that the mavic cannot do simply portrays you as a dji fan boy and most of the negativity on the evo are from dedicated dji fans that dont even own a evo
me?,,i tell it like it is as i see it and am loyal to none.,if youll notice ive said bad things elsewhere on the evo
just to expand on one evo aspect is the live view on the rc,,,how many mavics have been lost because of disconnects,to me thats a major advantage.

Reactions: Normex
just to expand on one evo aspect is the live view on the rc,,,how many mavics have been lost because of disconnects,to me thats a major advantage.
I assume you mean a disconnect of the device. While I can't recall it happening to me recently, I have seen plenty it does happen to. DJI seems to work best with Apple products, Andriod users have the bulk of the problems. And, you do not need to app to fly. Many of my early drones scratch made & RTF had no apps at all. I had to add my own transmitter and receiver for POV video on a 7" monitor. Now if you are not really experienced, and you flew out of LOS, first off, why did you do that when we all know its a no-no? Secondly, this is where experience kicks in. You can fly it home manually, real easy if it is within your sight, or you could mash the RTH button on the remote and let it come home by itself. So for me, my opinion is a screen that shows POV on the TX is not high on my list of wants. It's cool, but not a must-have for me.Autel has their work cut out for them, DJI is a very formidable opponent. Autel could end up being the "Hyundai" of the drone world, or the Yugo (look it up if you don't know :D). Time will tell.

Reactions: SRJ_North East_CT
it isnt hyundai,its Honda i distinctly remember the time 1971
and only a few weeks they've earned @ 10 million,not bad for a new drone with so many nay sayers

it isnt hyundai,its Honda i distinctly remember the time 1971
and only a few weeks they've earned @ 10 million,not bad for a new drone with so many nay sayers
I used them, Yugo, as they came to America in 1985 and Hyundai in 1986. Level playing field, but we only have one left now. ;) Ah the Yugo, I knew a guy with one... when they stopped importing them he bought as many used ones as he could so he would have spare parts. He loved that piece of crap. :D

So you have the EVO and love it? It looks pretty cool. I am waiting for the EVO II, but someday, Autel willing, I will have another orange drone! :)

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller