Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

4Hawks 2 mile run on a fall day

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
Curious to see what kinds of results everyone has. Looks well made but for $150 clams I would want you make sure it works consistently.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

No I just wanted to get to 2 miles and turn around which i did. Love the antenna but I love my X-Star more so 2 miles out was plenty :)

Yes, I agree... and a responsible approach .. better to have a level of control.

But nice test.

C.B.

Did you have a video signal on your tablet the whole time Agustine? Is this the answer for long range flight? Keep us informed of your experience please, thanks buddy!

I had a solid video signal along with a solid RC signal the whole time. Could have gone a lot farther but with all the battery issues I did not want to push it out farther but I know for sure it would have gone a lot farther. Is this the answer for long range flights, probably not. Your experience might be different than mine as found out today from Norm who just had one installed and did not get to much farther then stock. Hopefully he can get it sorted out.
For the most part I would say it does what the advertising said it will do. Extend your range but by how much I can not say.

Thank you for sharing your experience, I am a little uneasy about this addition at this time until further testing is done by beta testers, (that's you) thanks for being our tester man!!

You can't go wrong with the 4 Hawks Raptor. I've been using it for a week now and smiling from ear to ear every flight. No more chasing my drone and pointing, no more video loss, no more RTH every time i get behind a tree or obstacle. I'm not a distance flyer but I did do two test runs this week to see how well if performed. I was in a comfy chair pointing east and the bird going north. No signal loss and no video loss and it RTH on 30% battery warning I set before take off with 9 minutes left when it landed.
I did talk with a 4 Hawks beta tester before and after purchase. My instinct when flying was to chase the drone and point the antenna up to the drone. Was doing things wrong. Lowering the antenna made all the difference if your not getting the distance you want.

Reactions: kdub2051
You can't go wrong with the 4 Hawks Raptor. I've been using it for a week now and smiling from ear to ear every flight. No more chasing my drone and pointing, no more video loss, no more RTH every time i get behind a tree or obstacle. I'm not a distance flyer but I did do two test runs this week to see how well if performed. I was in a comfy chair pointing east and the bird going north. No signal loss and no video loss and it RTH on 30% battery warning I set before take off with 9 minutes left when it landed.
I did talk with a 4 Hawks beta tester before and after purchase. My instinct when flying was to chase the drone and point the antenna up to the drone. Was doing things wrong. Lowering the antenna made all the difference if your not getting the distance you want.
Thanks for the tip I'll try the lower antenna position tomorrow, I love the 4 Hawks too!!!

@AutelToronto - thanks for posting, I am curious about those instructions you were given and that you weren't facing the drone during your flight. I spent many years in the US Air Force working on ATC and Aviation radio networks and antenna arrays and what you are saying just doesn't add up in my head. Can you expand a little on what you were told by the beta tester...did they say why you should not point the array up towards the drone? Were you facing he array due east and flying due north? Apologies for all the questions, I am trying to maximize potential with the Raptor without breaking it open to inspect what is inside first hand...your comments tend to tell me that your antenna is defective yet working in your favor if your signal lobes are at 90 degrees from directional 0. Thanks.

@intrepidusa - In my post was 2 different flying locations. My usual location that I fly daily and the first test flights with the 4Hawks i was not getting what I expected out of the antenna. I had my antenna on the very top location on the mounting bracket and kept pointing up so i was corrected by a beta tester and told to lower my antenna on the mounting bracket which improved. This issue i kept thinking of stock antennas while loosing video and RTH kicked in. Point the controller up was the norm for stock. So I kept doing the same with the 4 Hawks. Which was making it even worse for signal.

So off to a new location and more land to travel over, drove 45 minutes from home to an open area with few trees, open land north and Lake Ontario to the south. This is where the sectoral coverage of the 4Hawks seems to be even wider than it's advertised or meant to be. As you can see in the image i'm seated on a bench facing east and surrounded by trees. South is Lake Ontario and no distance on 2 occasions, 0.60 miles. To the north and blocked by trees was my best flight on 2 different days. No signal loss, No video issues and by 2.7 miles RTH started. I've tried twice to record the flight path and both times have had no Google maps preview. I've cached Google maps prior to leaving home and by the time I get ready to fly no map preview.
So anyway no idea why I'm getting such a wide path over land and nothing worth mentioning over water. It's actually reversed. I should be doing better over water. These 2 flights here I was not told to do anything by the beta tester it just happened to work out this way. LOL
2miles.jpg

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmanvm