Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

CHANGE -- Autel response time

C

Colorado_scott

So, time for me to eat a little crow - and it does not come easy. I wrote here, which I have now deleted, about the Autel response time - having read past issues of product never materializing - so I tested sending them an email to see how long the response time would be. While it took about 4 days when the auto reply indicated 24 hours (or so), Monday was MLK holiday and CES had just ended. So my timing was bad.

Today I received a nice email from Rich the Sr. Tech support manager - apologizing for the late response and telling of the circumstances above. So, OK, people took time off after CES - and I've worked that show, and know it's exhausting - so I understand. I'm sorry Autel for the 'bum wrap' you got from me on your lack of timely response.

This said, I've done more checking for flying areas around where I live. I spoke to three drone (ex-drone) flyers at my R/C club - you can't legally even fly there anymore as there was a heli-pad put in 2 miles from the field. As planes only fly LOS and actually much closer, seems it's fine to still fly at our club. Given the limited areas for drones, and the cost of a drone I would like, I'm not going to get a drone, I'll take the money and put it into another R/C plane.

Hope you all have a nice time with the EVO. There seems to be 2 in the US - both at the factory, and info pending from China on other specs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me preface this post by saying I'm interested in the EVO. I have no history with Autel - but believe what many have written.

If you have been reading recent posts you know I'm new to drones - I currently don't own one, but have been flying R/C Helicopters and planes for 30+ years. Many helpful posts have told me about Autel's past and have warned about product introductions that never make it to market and service levels that need improving. I appreciate all the comments telling me to tread slowly when thinking about Autel products. So, I thought I'd write them an email and just see how the response time is - relating that to service / help on drones. Here's what I wrote:

The following was sent on 1/15/18 at 3:57pm.... it's now 3:50pm on 1/18/18 - 72 hours have gone by with no response... (to be totally fair, 1/15 was MLK holiday - so perhaps it's only been 48 hours (work time) - but I'll update this post when/if I hear back from Autel.

Subject:
Autel reputation ? does not seem to be very good - and I'm just starting to looking into drones

Decsription:
I'm new to drones, but been flying R/C for 30+ years in competition. I got a drone for Christmas from my kids, a decent $300 one, but returned it as the charge time was 300+ minutes. So, I read up on the EVO and joined the Autelxpilots forum, and many tell of very poor product support and actual past experiences. How is someone like me, looking to perhaps enter the drone arena, to process the poor forum posts in both unsupported products and customer service? Yes, you're open 7 days a week for help, but many in the forum have done business with / had Autel products, and they don't like what the past history has shown. Do I head to DJI for my first drone? Most in the forum tell me, behind the scenes, get the DJI Spark - larger company, better support, software updates happen regularly. I hope you are aware of these discussions and the PERCEPTION you have left with many pilots. I have to believe you are doing your best, but it's not working for many. Sure, you will introduce some new drone and get some market share, but is that what you are really after? I hope your goal is to BE THE BEST in service and quality - not just get 'some' market share and be happy. It's 4pm, Monday the 15th. I'll be interested to see how long it takes for me to get a response to this note. That will tell me a lot about what I might expect in the way of customer service. Thanks. Scott

---------------
Minutes later and acknowledgement of my email :

Dear scott,
We would like to acknowledge that we have received your request and a ticket has been created.
A support representative will be reviewing your request, and will send you a personal response (usually within 24 hours).

Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,
Autel Robotics Support Team

-------------------

I just wrote them again... (yesterday - the 17th, at 4pm)

It’s been about 48 hours – this is what I was told – the response time for support is not very good…. Still waiting for a response.

Sent: Monday, January 15, 2018 4:02 PM
To: Scott
Subject: Ticket Received - New ticket: Aircraft: Autel reputation ? does not seem to be very good - and I'm just starting to looking into drones
If I had to make a WAG, I'd say they're probably busy helping actual customers with specific technical issues. I'm not sure what kind of response you're expecting to see from this, but if you want to get a realistic idea (albeit unscientific) of what level of customer service people are actually experiencing, why don't you put up a poll?

I think the tone of your subject line has something to do with the lack of response. You know what they say, you catch more bees with honey than vinegar.

If you want to hear about the reputation from current customers, ask here in the forums. My own experience has been complete satisfaction so far. First response from a human has always come within 24 hours. All of my issues have been resolved to my satisfaction, and believe me, there have been several over the last few weeks. I cannot say that I am happy about the end-of-life state of my two X-Stars, but that's life. Autel Robotics is focusing their resources on what DJI have already demonstrated people want in their video drones, To do otherwise would be financial suicide. I visited the Autel Robotics booth at CES many times last week, and spent lots of time inspecting the Evos they brought to the show. It feels solid, and well designed. I saw the models consistently give 30 minutes of flight (I was there for the free Evo drawings you see). Will I buy one? Probably not for myself, but that's because I have too many drone already, and I prefer open source platforms like Ardupilot and NAVIO2, but I do love flying my XSPs.

My past experience with Autel is that they have always been prompt, courteous, and caring - and helpful.

Autel is taking a big, competitive step forward, and, as stated above, just got back from CES.
Any good company will triage their calls/requests. Let's see, who should we call first? The guy who just wants to test us, or, the person who genuinely needs help?

They haven't even wiped their feet off, after returning from CES! Give them (and any similar company) a break. We all know that they could have done better with their communications last year. To keep dwelling on that is to keep beating a dead horse. Speculating on any forum does not benefit anyone. The best thing for any forum is to have people who are willing to help others; to provide helpful hints and suggestions that can help owners of a product enjoy and use their product to it's fullest.

If one is going to judge Autel on it's past, then it should be very clear that Autel is where it is now because of it's stellar Customer Service in the past. It sold XSP's not because they were/are unusually unique, but because of Autel's actual reputation for providing top-notch customer service - and that is documented.

I purchased my XSP used. When I called Autel and asked them if the previous owners' warranty moved onto me, they shocked me by saying, "We will give you a NEW warranty, as if you just purchased the aircraft brand new!" I didn't have any aircraft problems and I didn't ask for a completely new warranty. They offered it to me and welcomed me as an Autel owner. This forum is also full of posts from people that got their batteries replaced; even after they were out of warranty. And, if a failed battery caused a crash, Autel would fix or replace the crashed aircraft for them.

Now, after not having sold any new XSP's for a while, I can only imagine that Autel is even MORE anxious to get merchandise out in the stores than we are. Again, give them a break, let the past water run under the bridge, and let's move forward - maturely.

Last edited by a moderator:
And, boy, I sure wish I knew what causes the script to be struck out (above). Can anyone help me with that? :)

In the "More Options" setting in the bottom right corner of the reply box there is an option for strike-through if you click on the little "+" sign. Maybe it's selected? Just guessing here.

Reactions: kroorda
I believe the reason for their slow response times is that they are getting lots of emails since CES. I have dealt with them in the past and they responded within hours when dealing with problems with my drone.

Reactions: dronechimp
In the "More Options" setting in the bottom right corner of the reply box there is an option for strike-through if you click on the little "+" sign. Maybe it's selected? Just guessing here.
Thanks ForeBird. It worked for me. Thanks for helping me out! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ForeBird
Colorado_scott,

Your confrontational 1st post to Autel during a holiday as they are recovering from CES was an ambush.

It is not a fair indication of the quality of their Customer Service & says more about your attitude than their assistance.

One of the lessons I learned in business is that not every job is worth taking. I expect they don’t want you as a customer. It wouldn’t be a good relationship for them.

Reactions: kroorda
First hand experience, I have never dealt with such an amazing customer service department..... ever!

Dave is who I dealt with, I can’t begin to explain how responsive, professional and respectful he was.

The very nature of customer service is difficult because you simply can’t make everyone happy all the time.

*** I have had the unfortunate pleasure of having to deal with DJI. If anyone might be wondering what really crappy customer service is, call DJI. They usually won’t answer and don’t waste you time leaving a message..... you will not be called back.

Wow, you guys set me straight; thanks. My expectations were based off the email I received from Autel ; "A support representative will be reviewing your request, and will send you a personal response (usually within 24 hours)". Pretty clear statement. I gave them an extra 48 hours before posting, and still nothing (78 hours and counting). But that's OK, my need was nothing important, but here's what I would of expected: The return email back to me would of said something like: "We are all at CES this week and this will delay any communications back for 3 days", or 5 days, or whatever number they want to put in there. This sets my expectation. My expectation was 24 hours based on Autel's information - not something I made up. I have no idea what size company Autel is, but based on other posts within this forum, prior expectations / products have not materialized. These are not my words, but words based on historical information from existing customers on this forum. This was one data point for me - existing customers posts on this forum. I needed to see for myself, so I sent them and email stating I was thinking of their products and had concerns. No response back. I keep trying to find a reason to purchase the EVO, but keep running into walls. Earlier today I learned from pilots that post there I should not expect any new information on the EVO until June. This was not my expectation based on what I saw on YouTube videos from CES. But, hey, now I know - I'm not expecting any new factual news until the June time frame, maybe later. Why didn't Autel just state this for all of us to read? Then we know what to expect.

It seems, based on an above post, DJI will not be responsive either. I have no idea, but one person gave me their opinion. I have had no reason to call either company - but rely on what I read from past customers. I do think one of the above posts may be right, I may not be a customer for Autel, and perhaps not for DJI either. These are expensive drones at $1000 - and paying this for something that I consider a toy / hobby (as I do my planes and helicopters) is a difficult decision for me. I don't plan to make a living flying a drone, just have fun with it. I do want a company that values all customers, and does what it says, and perhaps I won't find a company like this in the Drone market. And that will be OK - I'll save $1000+ and continue with my current hobbies. I'll keep looking though.

I just expected (hoped for) more from Autel.

That message you recieved is Computer generated. You will always get that if you message email or call. If you follow up with another email you will get the same response again. Now they have 2 items to respond to. Times how many people who are asking what about what. I know its hard but be paitent. Its not always possible within 24 hours. We have all been there.

These days, people are quick to send an email or a text when they want to communicate something, or receive information on something - even when communicating with a friend. In fact, the communication could be made, and resolved INSTANTLY if you simply dialed that persons' 10-digit phone number and spoke with them! But, in this day of 'text' people have become reluctant to speak to others, BUT, quick to criticize when they don't receive a quick text response. When you CALL, you also have the opportunity to establish a rapport with the person, and to ask (or tell) anything else that might be on your mind. Simply put, it's crazy that people will spend minutes, hours, days texting and emailing back and forth about something that could be resolved instantly in a one minute phone conversation. Without a doubt, any company is going to answer phone calls before then answer text messages; simply because it takes them longer to address text messages.

In the past few weeks, there was a lot of negative sentiment and speculation expressed about Autel. As we know, Autel could have done a better marketing and communications job as they have transitioned to a new product. But, it is what it is, and I would imagine that this transition was a HUGE learning experience for Autel. I did speak to them, before CES, and they told me that they had been receiving and answering hundreds of calls and inquiries; both, about why past products were no longer on the shelves, and what their future plans were. Again, those calls very much let them know that they had failed in the communications department. But, it is now time to move forward. Now that we have established that in the past few weeks, a lot of frustration was vented, let's also (fairly) recognize) that since Autel has been around, they have been recognized, appreciated, and complimented time and time again, for their stellar customer service. And, as all of us know, Customer Service is often more important than the product itself, especially with any technological product. Unfortunately, there have been a few individuals that have focused on the frustration and speculation which has been prevalent in the past few weeks, and, they've completely ignored Autel's track record for superior customer service. I'm sure that a few of you noticed that I decided to jump in and remind a few people of the very reason that most of us purchased an Autel aircraft in the first place, and, that that reason has NOT changed.

If you have something important that you would like to speak to Autel (or any company) about, call them. I just took the following statement from Autel's website:
Your Customer Support Team
Our best-in-class support agents are ready to answer your questions 7 days a week. If there’s a problem with your Autel Robotics aircraft, you want to know where you can buy them, or if you just want to hear a friendly voice, give us a call. (844) 692-8835

These days, people are quick to send an email or a text when they want to communicate something, or receive information on something - even when communicating with a friend. In fact, the communication could be made, and resolved INSTANTLY if you simply dialed that persons' 10-digit phone number and spoke with them! But, in this day of 'text' people have become reluctant to speak to others, BUT, quick to criticize when they don't receive a quick text response. When you CALL, you also have the opportunity to establish a rapport with the person, and to ask (or tell) anything else that might be on your mind. Simply put, it's crazy that people will spend minutes, hours, days texting and emailing back and forth about something that could be resolved instantly in a one minute phone conversation. Without a doubt, any company is going to answer phone calls before then answer text messages; simply because it takes them longer to address text messages.

In the past few weeks, there was a lot of negative sentiment and speculation expressed about Autel. As we know, Autel could have done a better marketing and communications job as they have transitioned to a new product. But, it is what it is, and I would imagine that this transition was a HUGE learning experience for Autel. I did speak to them, before CES, and they told me that they had been receiving and answering hundreds of calls and inquiries; both, about why past products were no longer on the shelves, and what their future plans were. Again, those calls very much let them know that they had failed in the communications department. But, it is now time to move forward. Now that we have established that in the past few weeks, a lot of frustration was vented, let's also (fairly) recognize) that since Autel has been around, they have been recognized, appreciated, and complimented time and time again, for their stellar customer service. And, as all of us know, Customer Service is often more important than the product itself, especially with any technological product. Unfortunately, there have been a few individuals that have focused on the frustration and speculation which has been prevalent in the past few weeks, and, they've completely ignored Autel's track record for superior customer service. I'm sure that a few of you noticed that I decided to jump in and remind a few people of the very reason that most of us purchased an Autel aircraft in the first place, and, that that reason has NOT changed.

If you have something important that you would like to speak to Autel (or any company) about, call them. I just took the following statement from Autel's website:
Your Customer Support Team
Our best-in-class support agents are ready to answer your questions 7 days a week. If there’s a problem with your Autel Robotics aircraft, you want to know where you can buy them, or if you just want to hear a friendly voice, give us a call. (844) 692-8835

Nice reply. You along with most others know it is a very rare thing that you get to speak to someone. I have said many times if i could only talk to someone it would simple. Seldom has it been simple. When I did get a voice it was nice and simple.

Ha ..all i can say is if he thinks Autel was slow....Go buy a DJI product!!! That being said I own both Autel And DJI! And i have always had a great response from Autel not so much from DJI...Just saying..

Last edited:
Message Thursday on a camera issue. Got a response in timly fashion. Replied back about the suggested items I should do. Said that it worked out and mentioned about a battery and sent a photo. Got a very quick reply. answered the questioned and a replacement battery is on the way.

Autel made right. T'was but an error that was speedily rectified. Just ordered the Evo. Looking forward to it!

Reactions: KentA

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marwan