Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Bad RC Fan?

Mine makes a slight noise but the OPs noise is excessive for sure. I sent my controller in for the antenna swivel repair so that's fixed for now. SO NOW ITS BACK TO Autel service because of another problem the plastics cracked on one side of the ACs nose and a slight bulge on the other side. It's the black colored parts that the front legs hindge. I been holding the body when I change batteries because that creates stress at those points.
(This is not a high Jack, just a warning that the plastic can crack in those areas.)20190615_173504.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah - I'd never install or remove the battery without holding the body. I do the same with my Mavics. I don't trust the stress it would put on the legs or the leg pivot points.

What 'antenna upgrade' are you talking about? Do you mean Autel just fixed them, or does Autel have an official upgrade that improves the quality and robustness?

LP

I dont know if it's an actual upgrade persay. But before I sent AC in for the antenna swivel repair( because of cracks in them) the tech said it's a better grade/stronger grade plastic so they should not crack under normal use. The original swivels cracked under normal use. So the technicians at Autel changed both Antenna to the new parts. Are they really considered upgrades or just new parts??? So people with the original antenna swivels keep an eye on them and the sensor covers on the body for hairline cracks.

I havent scoped out anything yet so I really dont know other places besides the ones we cant fly in.
What I'm trying to do is keep my eyes peeled whenever I go anywhere for spots. Theres a spot only about a mile from my house where the road passes over a stream with trees along it both sides that I think would make a really nice vid.
To be honest I think there are spots everywhere but they just are not the majestic type.

How long did it take to send and receive your stuff back for those cracks and what is the "normal" turnaround time for doing the antenna "upgrade" alone I wonder?
What bothers me is I seem to be picking up as the trend is service takes a month from the time it leaves your location which bugs me especially as we lose half a year to fly because of winter and it feels like I've been waiting forever to fly. Time may be going by very fast but not when you are stuck watching everyone else do it.

On another note I feel too tired to call Autel and go through the issue with them today. I AM either going to call or message them tomorrow at the latest as I not only want to inform them of what happened but want to know if they would offer any other choice than awaiting RMA return of the controller to them first.
Speaking of which do they make you send the Evo back if it's something as obvious as the fan in the controller? That would stink.

BB message giving UPS tracking number for pickup but no other info yet. My 3 set of polar pro 4/8/16 nd/pl vivid filters are out for delivery (Amazon) and extra UV filter gimbal cover have shipped from Autel.

Last edited:
Agreed - having to send the Evo back for a controller only issue would really suck. I hope they don't require that. It would be just asking for more problems (shipping or handling damage).

I guess I worry less about the TAT because I have other drones to fly...although after a month I might start worrying about whether I'd ever see it again...

LP

Going back to practice flying again with the bugs 3 in about 1 hour myself.

Very surprised update. Got a notice from BB and UPS that my package is scheduled for delivery tomorrow because it was changed to being shipped from Nichols NY which is only 2 hours from me. Checked and yes theres a BB distribution center there. Nice.
Obviously the first thing I'm doing is turning the controller on and moving it around without taking the protective stickers off. Will continue updating as things happen. I do wish I was the only one that had this problem though. Sounds like lots of others put up with a noisy fan rather than sending it in because of the long turnaround. Pretty ugly decision to have to make. I suppose I would do the same and hope it wouldnt quit on me hoping I could reach at least November as I dont expect to be flying much then.

Very cool - good for you. Please do let me know what you find. I'll provide the same update when I get mine on Friday from GA.

LP

Loaded on truck for delivery but UPS doesnt usually come to late afternoon/evening

Reactions: LeafPeeper
Same here - usually late afternoon...in my case hopefully tomorrow. Kinda makes you wonder why they didn't ship mine from there too since it's so close.

Mine makes the same noise. It's less than 3 weeks old. I as a field service engineer for a major VFD and PLC corp in a past life, I've heard a ton of drive cooling fans and my share of bad ones. This sounds like one with pulse type fan speed control. It's variable speed fan depending on controller temp. My feeling it could be a problem with the speed control circuit and not the fan itself. Sounds like the fan control is a pulse type... i.e. longer on-off pulses for low speed and shorter for higher speed.

I havent scoped out anything yet so I really dont know other places besides the ones we cant fly in.
What I'm trying to do is keep my eyes peeled whenever I go anywhere for spots. Theres a spot only about a mile from my house where the road passes over a stream with trees along it both sides that I think would make a really nice vid.
To be honest I think there are spots everywhere but they just are not the majestic type.

How long did it take to send and receive your stuff back for those cracks and what is the "normal" turnaround time for doing the antenna "upgrade" alone I wonder?
What bothers me is I seem to be picking up as the trend is service takes a month from the time it leaves your location which bugs me especially as we lose half a year to fly because of winter and it feels like I've been waiting forever to fly. Time may be going by very fast but not when you are stuck watching everyone else do it.

On another note I feel too tired to call Autel and go through the issue with them today. I AM either going to call or message them tomorrow at the latest as I not only want to inform them of what happened but want to know if they would offer any other choice than awaiting RMA return of the controller to them first.
Speaking of which do they make you send the Evo back if it's something as obvious as the fan in the controller? That would stink.

BB message giving UPS tracking number for pickup but no other info yet. My 3 set of polar pro 4/8/16 nd/pl vivid filters are out for delivery (Amazon) and extra UV filter gimbal cover have shipped from Autel.
I sent the AC out on 6/18 so I will get it back in 2 weeks or so. I had to send in the AC when I sent my controller in for the antenna swivel replacement. I have no idea why they need the AC when all they need is the remote controller. All I can think of is they want to make sure that the AC and RC work together before shipping everything back.

Last edited:
Mine makes the same noise. It's less than 3 weeks old. I as a field service engineer for a major VFD and PLC corp in a past life, I've heard a ton of drive cooling fans and my share of bad ones. This sounds like one with pulse type fan speed control. It's variable speed fan depending on controller temp. My feeling it could be a problem with the speed control circuit and not the fan itself. Sounds like the fan control is a pulse type... i.e. longer on-off pulses for low speed and shorter for higher speed.

Just out of curiosity, where did yours come from? Pman and I both got mine from the Louisville, KY distribution center. There are a few others here that have reported similar problems - so it would be interesting to know where they came from. Wondering if this is a design problem they haven't fixed, or a problem with a recent or limited size batch. Pman will get a replacement from another location today, and I will be getting one from another location tomorrow....

LP

Mine was purchased though Amazon Prime but was shipped from SSE, Hillside NJ. Let me know how yours sounds but I'm going to contact Autel SC today. I'm in CT so will wait until CS is open in a few hours.

Last edited:
Ugh....sounds like we can assume this is a pretty widespread issue then. I guess we'll know more after Pman gets his replacement today and I get mine tomorrow. This crap aggravates me. If my new one is the same, I will probably just return the whole thing and wait for the next DJI release.

LP

That would be sad as I specifically bought the Evo to not go with DJIs big brother attitude:( I would at least try one more time I think as I've spent $ on specific Evo stuff like the lenses.

I went with the Evo because I like the cam - wider FOV, better color science and wider dynamic range. I also really like the app design and performance - I don't need a monster phone to run it. That said, for $1200, I shouldn't have to deal with a crappy $2 fan giving me trouble. It just screams cost shortcut. The antennas bug the hell out of me too. DJI's controllers are much more robust.

LP

I found this thread a day or two after I sent in my drone and controller to Autel Service for and unrelated issue. If I knew about this RC noise issue I would of also submitted an RC noise issue since mine has one but not as loud and long but one is there. My warranty ends in a few months so I would like to get everything checked and fixed if needed. My only question is my RC is quite 97% of the time but the noise will sound out for a few seconds at a time and will it get worse? Yeah sure, the noise will hit my RC full blast after warranty runs out. Murphys law....

I found this thread a day or two after I sent in my drone and controller to Autel Service for and unrelated issue. If I knew about this RC noise issue I would of also submitted an RC noise issue since mine has one but not as loud and long but one is there. My warranty ends in a few months so I would like to get everything checked and fixed if needed. My only question is my RC is quite 97% of the time but the noise will sound out for a few seconds at a time and will it get worse? Yeah sure, the noise will hit my RC full blast after warranty runs out. Murphys law....
If your Evo is at Autel. Simply call them and ask that they verify it.

Well the video shows what mine was doing - except for the fact that it would change in volume and tone as I moved the RC around. Even when it wasn't squealing, it was loud enough when charging (for most of the charging cycle) that I didn't want to be in the same room with it. It grows annoying quickly. I fear that even the good ones will have that problem. REALLY bad design if you ask me.

LP

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chen