Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Car Charging

KentA

Reaction score
I'd like to recharge my XSP batteries in my car using the Autel charger connected to a DC 12V to 110V AC Converter.
1) Can any of you anticipate problems in doing this?
2) Will either of these work:
BESTEK 300W or
150W Car Power Inverter

3) What is the advantage of a "pure sine wave" inverter? Is it worth the extra cost?
4) What hardware have others used?

Since the Autel charger input voltage/amperage is 110v 1.4A, it can draw up to 154 watts, so a 150 is not enough. Pure sine wave are best, hence the additional cost, they are closest to product a real sine wave, a lot of current models are what's called modified sine wave which is sometimes called "dirty" power as there are gaps in the power curve. I wouldn't use them for delicate electronics unless the manufacturer said they are ok, you are powering a power supply for a "smart" battery pack...i don't know the exact ramifications of that...if Autel says it's fine then I would consider it.

Reactions: KentA
Since the Autel charger input voltage/amperage is 110v 1.4A, it can draw up to 154 watts, so a 150 is not enough. Pure sine wave are best, hence the additional cost, they are closest to product a real sine wave, a lot of current models are what's called modified sine wave which is sometimes called "dirty" power as there are gaps in the power curve. I wouldn't use them for delicate electronics unless the manufacturer said they are ok, you are powering a power supply for a "smart" battery pack...i don't know the exact ramifications of that...if Autel says it's fine then I would consider it.
Thank you.

I asked Autel I'd like to recharge my XSP batteries (& possibly the controller) in my car using the Autel charger connected to a DC 12V to 110V AC Converter. Do I need a "pure sine wave" inverter?

Tim Matthews answered, I would recommend one for longevity, but that being said I know quite a few users just use a normal 150w inverter without any issues at all and I have never heard of one failing because of that.

So I ordered a 300w inverter to be safe & for possible other devices.

Great, glad Tim was able to give you some input from Autel and its good to know that a 150W will work.

I have used a BESTEK 300W power inverter for several months without any apparent problems. I have four batteries. When I think more than four might be needed to complete a mission I start charging the first discharged one while flying with the remaining three. The first one is recharged by the time I fly through the next two, which leaves me with two charged and two discharged batteries. If I then start charging one of the discharged ones, it will be charged by the time the two charged ones have been used, and I then have one remaining charged battery to fly. So, the end-result is that the inverter makes it possible to have a series of six flights with four batteries. Even a seventh could be flown after a 45-minute break to recharge another battery.

In addition to using the inverter that way, I also sometimes use it to charge all the batteries while en route between destinations on multi-day trips.

The only issues have been dealing with a jumble of cables between the various units and occasional noise from a fan in the inverter and the one in the Autel battery charger. Those fans rarely run and I haven't been bothered by them, but some BESTEK users complain about fan noise.

Of course, in addition to charging drone batteries it can be handy to have up to 300-watts of AC power available on trips or when camping to power other things, such as laptop computers, small tools, electric lamps, or whatever.

Reactions: Eddiebo and KentA
Oh yes traveling down the interstate charging your Lipo batteries and on the rare occasion it catches fire in the car. Sounds like a fun day to me LOL

Reactions: WildDoktor
Oh yes traveling down the interstate charging your Lipo batteries and on the rare occasion it catches fire in the car. Sounds like a fun day to me LOL
A guy on my motorcycle forums did a 3-week motorcycle trip with his son this summer. Lowest daytime (riding) temp was 111F. Just before leaving for this trip they decided to buy a mavic, and learn to fly it on the trip. They flew it at all the National Parks that they visited. And in between parks, while riding down the road, they are charging the mavic batteries. In their tank bag. Which sits on the GAS TANK. Which of course is right under their chin.

Somehow, they made it home alive, which surprises me a lot.

I hear that God has mercy on fools and babes...pretty sure that must be true!!!

Reactions: Eddiebo
You guys need to calm down...... There are far more dangerous things going on beside you in neighboring vehicles while you drive down the Interstate.

God has mercy on those that are due that mercy and no others.

I use an 800W inverter. I have two chargers so can double up. My Inverter is hard wired directly to the battery with a fused plug-in. Short lead on the Inverter.

I've had two batteries replaced under warranty. The only thing Andrew could offer was to NOT recharge when the battery is warm/hot. So now I won't recharge a battery immediately after removing it from the Drone. I have 4. So I can let the first battery cool while the second is running. Then when the second is due for recharge start recharge of the first.

Ha! Didn't mean to start anything guys; just pokin' fun a little bit. I've been quite the fool a few (!) times in my life and have (so far) lived to tell about it! :D

Back to the OP, like you KentA I also have in theory thought about charging XSP batteries from the car with an inverter. Glad to know it actually works! Like DroneDude, I also have 4 batteries and have in theory thought about how many in a row I could fly. Now I know! :)

Reactions: Eddiebo and KentA
Eddiebo: Thanks for the link, I use mine up camping a lot & running my generator all the time is a pain. Now it looks like i can charge the batteries via 12 volt output, thanks again!!

Eddiebo: Thanks for the link, I use mine up camping a lot & running my generator all the time is a pain. Now it looks like i can charge the batteries via 12 volt output, thanks again!!

Sure thing. I have a Nissan LEAF so I can get a LOT of flying out of my car battery. :)

Should the car motor be running while using one of these?

Rayj, Thats a good question. There is a chart online that says a 12 volt, group 24 battery with a 200 watt inverter will provide 1.87 hours of use, in that case i would at least start the car after 1 charge.

Rayj, Thats a good question. There is a chart online that says a 12 volt, group 24 battery with a 200 watt inverter will provide 1.87 hours of use, in that case i would at least start the car after 1 charge.
Yes the car engine needs to be on when using Bestek 300.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

It seems like a better option would be to buy a cheap 110 volt 2-cycle generator from harbor freight for a $109.00 for charging batteries on the go. The fuel use would pay for its self in a matter of time due to running an engine on a vehicle for an hour at a time, just a thought. I have 6 batteries for my Autel but for you on a budget, a small generator i mentioned would almost be the cost of one Autel battery. In my case up camping in the RV with multiple group 27 batteries on board, a converter would work fairly well. Just my 2 cents worth.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo