Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

changing between ludicrous mode and precision mode mid-flight?

Rorysee

Reaction score
can I change between flight modes during a flight? for example, I shunt to a spot 1 km away in ludicrous mode stop the drone hover = pause .then change flight parameters to precision fly a bit then pause = change back to Ludicrous for the return flight? so I understand the speed in ludicrous mode is 72 km/h . is that accurate?

Yes. You can switch betweeb flight modes between flights, even without stopping. I have done so when standard 22mph just isn't enough. For the top speed, correct 72km/h is top speed.

Reactions: Rorysee
that is amazing ...need to practice this. have flown the drone a few times, I am blown away ...no pun intended

Just remember you shorten your flight time in higher speeds.
ok thanks so its not standard equation? why don't the EVO crew give us some guidelines so we can tell if a planned flight is doable as to speed & distance solving for time? even if it is an average setup.

Attachments

• evo dist speed time.png
    evo dist speed time.png
    113.4 KB · Views: 37
ok thanks so its not standard equation? why don't the EVO crew give us some guidelines so we can tell if a planned flight is doable as to speed & distance solving for time? even if it is an average setup.
Basically if you have x amount of mAh being drained faster due to higer speeds, your battery depletes faster.

Does the Explorer App give you a total flight time indication? Like at 100% charge the EVO will fly for 25 minutes? If it does then by switching flight modes that total flight time should change also. Of course this is all based on that the App has this option.

A Lipo does not power on a linear curve. In my experience it’s logarithmic. I’ve seen charts that back this up. You can’t rely on the numbers as they are a guideline not absolute.

You have safe full power with lots of oomph when the battery is at its highest capacity where the bursts are getting full voltage. This lasts for about a third of your flight - for the Evo with an average time of about 21 minutes that’s going to be 7 minutes you can spend getting to your spot (7 minutes of flight will take you out of VLOS btw) and getting set to shoot. Then you’ve got another 7 to 10 minutes of safe work depending on shot speed and motor demand. A steady hover does not drain the battery as much unless it’s fighting wind. Once you see your battery getting towards 30 percent you should bring your Evo back to you and be ready to land before the low voltage warning and auto RTH kick in.
This will keep your batteries working longer and help delay the inevitable puffing and loss of captaincy that LiPo batteries are notoriously famous for. I know many pilots think that somehow the manufacturer should “fix” this but in the real world, wind conditions and weight relative to fuel/power are constantly shifting as do the calculations.

Remember battery powered flight is a negative because as time increases, power decreases. Unlike real liquid fuel, the weight actually starts to exceed lift power as time goes by until the battery becomes a dead weight brick and there is no elegant glide path down.

I always use caution when gone over a mile as many factors seem to come into play and will not forgive any misjudgment which
at that point becomes really fast a foregone conclusion. Experience prevails !

thanks. so the EVO recons on the power and returns home irrespective of what you are doing or planning

thanks. so the EVO recons on the power and returns home irrespective of what you are doing or planning

Its software decision is always based on what is left in the battery, but again there aree other factors such as wind that the operator has
to take into account for it being a successful landing. Rough guideline is if you send your drone with full battery charge against the wind
all likely it will make a successful return.

Its software decision is always based on what is left in the battery, but again there aree other factors such as wind that the operator has
to take into account for it being a successful landing. Rough guideline is if you send your drone with full battery charge against the wind
all likely it will make a successful return.
thanks this is one amazing drone. very impressd with it so far

I have tried switching during a flight and it didn’t work. Is there a step somehow I’m missing? Something in settings I need to adjust so it will switch mid flight?

A Lipo does not power on a linear curve. In my experience it’s logarithmic. I’ve seen charts that back this up. You can’t rely on the numbers as they are a guideline not absolute.

You have safe full power with lots of oomph when the battery is at its highest capacity where the bursts are getting full voltage. This lasts for about a third of your flight - for the Evo with an average time of about 21 minutes that’s going to be 7 minutes you can spend getting to your spot (7 minutes of flight will take you out of VLOS btw) and getting set to shoot. Then you’ve got another 7 to 10 minutes of safe work depending on shot speed and motor demand. A steady hover does not drain the battery as much unless it’s fighting wind. Once you see your battery getting towards 30 percent you should bring your Evo back to you and be ready to land before the low voltage warning and auto RTH kick in.
This will keep your batteries working longer and help delay the inevitable puffing and loss of captaincy that LiPo batteries are notoriously famous for. I know many pilots think that somehow the manufacturer should “fix” this but in the real world, wind conditions and weight relative to fuel/power are constantly shifting as do the calculations.

Remember battery powered flight is a negative because as time increases, power decreases. Unlike real liquid fuel, the weight actually starts to exceed lift power as time goes by until the battery becomes a dead weight brick and there is no elegant glide path down.
Well said! Great explanation of all factors in play! Keep in mind that the only place you can see the numeric remaining battery percentage is on the controller itself. For some crazy reason, the Autel Explorer app itself has no display of the numeric remaining battery percentage. Autel apparently decided that graphic of 4 declining bars is all we needed. BTW, love the "no elegant glide path down" statement as a euphemism for "falls like a rock from the sky!"

I have tried switching during a flight and it didn’t work. Is there a step somehow I’m missing? Something in settings I need to adjust so it will switch mid flight?
so what would lock you out? novice mode maybe. did you find the answer?

I would just step it down from ludicrous - normal - precision. Gives the gimbal time to level out as it often tilts 45degrees in a strong headwind.

Be aware when you are flying in the ludicrous mode check the height very closely. It goes down quite rapidly. I had to stop and raise the height every 20 seconds or so otherwise it keeps decending.

Reactions: G_G

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacqueslambert