Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Class D waiver/authorization

Nope :(
..but relief may be on the way for Delta authorization...this is the FAA facility maps link if you're not familiar with it...it shows the max altitude you could hope to get authorization for when applying for operation in Delta airspace...it's far from complete but they're adding maps every 60 days...it's the beginnings of the LAANC system. When you get to the FAA page from the link below scroll down and select "view all facility maps and grids." Look for the area of interest and see if they've populated data for that area..if there are zeros in the grid it means you can't fly there so don't even try applying for authorization...any other number shows the max altitude you can apply for..have fun :)

UAS Facility Maps

First post, big question! What kind of info are you looking for?

The simple answer is yes; a few of us here have authorizations to "fly in certain airspace".

So we're on the same page, waivers and authorizations are 2 different things. Waivers are for things like night flying, flying over people, etc. Authorizations are, amazingly, for flying in areas that the FAA Facility Maps say you're allowed to fly in. Yeah...I can't make this stuff up. o_O

In any case, I've received 3 authorizations to "fly in certain airspace"; 2 of them authorized me to fly in a small area (took about 3 months to receive), but my *big momma* Authorization finally came thru about a month ago: I now have a blanket authorization to fly the entire Class D airspace in my city (we only have one towered airport in my city), including on the airport property itself (the "zero" agl areas on the maps). That one took 4 months to get, but now I can literally fly anywhere in my city, any time (daylight hours only) with no worries, no scheduling, no headaches. I can fly the "zero" areas by simply calling the tower and coordinating with them; the FAA contacted them with my authorization, so there will be no confusion if I call them.

Reactions: designrs
Wow blanket authorization? Did you go through the normal website approval process to get that?
Yeah; I included a *ton* of information in that little tiny form (had it all written out beforehand after days of research, then copy/paste into the form) and also added that I have an entire "run book" for all my flights that I'd be happy to upload once they started working on the request. And, I begged them to not just "deny" me without talking to me first, because I could very easily assure them that I would do all operations safely and within whatever limits they chose to grant me. :) But 4 months...man; I'd given up hope by that time!

Hi, thanks for this info... [[exactly what I am looking for. we have a unique sustained operation, a stones throw from class delta. We don't "hold out" to the public.

Specifically I am looking for the mitigating conditions you included in your initial submission. Maybe I can send pm you my email if you do not want to post?

Thank you

First post, big question! What kind of info are you looking for?

The simple answer is yes; a few of us here have authorizations to "fly in certain airspace".

So we're on the same page, waivers and authorizations are 2 different things. Waivers are for things like night flying, flying over people, etc. Authorizations are, amazingly, for flying in areas that the FAA Facility Maps say you're allowed to fly in. Yeah...I can't make this stuff up. o_O

In any case, I've received 3 authorizations to "fly in certain airspace"; 2 of them authorized me to fly in a small area (took about 3 months to receive), but my *big momma* Authorization finally came thru about a month ago: I now have a blanket authorization to fly the entire Class D airspace in my city (we only have one towered airport in my city), including on the airport property itself (the "zero" agl areas on the maps). That one took 4 months to get, but now I can literally fly anywhere in my city, any time (daylight hours only) with no worries, no scheduling, no headaches. I can fly the "zero" areas by simply calling the tower and coordinating with them; the FAA contacted them with my authorization, so there will be no confusion if I call them.

Well wildDok I admire your tenacity...I have a Delta airport smack in the middle of my area which causes me heartburn but I'm going to draw inspiration from you and give it a go for the spring...thank you :)

It's certainly doable; you just submit and then get on with your life until they decide to respond. :)

I'll share later tonight what I submitted so that you guys have an idea. In the meantime, read every single letter of this page, follow all the links, and read every single letter of those pages and PDFs. Re-read, and understand. And look at it from the government's perspective. The *key* to success is to give the FAA exactly the info they want...and then, of course, you wait. (That's actually the key to success with any Govt interaction, I'm finding out!)

Any update on this?

It's certainly doable; you just submit and then get on with your life until they decide to respond. :)

I'll share later tonight what I submitted so that you guys have an idea. In the meantime, read every single letter of this page, follow all the links, and read every single letter of those pages and PDFs. Re-read, and understand. And look at it from the government's perspective. The *key* to success is to give the FAA exactly the info they want...and then, of course, you wait. (That's actually the key to success with any Govt interaction, I'm finding out!)

Sorry guys; got super busy the last few days (work and home kitchen remodel!) will get some info out this weekend! Real quick though, Waiver Safety Explanation Guidelines for Part 107 Waiver Applications is *the* key to getting approved. You *must* explain your operation by exactly using the "Guidelines for the Applicant" section for the auth/waiver you're applying for...but if you just copy and paste that section, they'll throw it out. crazy...welcome to the g'vment...

Sorry guys; got super busy the last few days (work and home kitchen remodel!) will get some info out this weekend! Real quick though, Waiver Safety Explanation Guidelines for Part 107 Waiver Applications is *the* key to getting approved. You *must* explain your operation by exactly using the "Guidelines for the Applicant" section for the auth/waiver you're applying for...but if you just copy and paste that section, they'll throw it out. crazy...welcome to the g'vment...
Hey, sorry to be a pain, but do you have an update..? Just want to look at your mitigating factors...

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coastaldrone