Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Close Encounters

It is. I wonder if an orange drone would be easier to see? White is really hard in that kind of environment—I’m sure they chose it b/c it’s the most common color...

It is. I wonder if an orange drone would be easier to see? White is really hard in that kind of environment—I’m sure they chose it b/c it’s the most common color...
I would think the orange would stand out a little better but I doubt if you would see it because of the size. Small objects are hard to see from the cockpit of a plane. Also when your flying the same height as the object your trying to see the background isn't all sky the object tends to blend with the horizon.
I had a PA 12 and pulled a banner around events. There was generally a lot of traffic and you had to keep your eyes open flying like that even other planes and helicopters are sometimes very hard to see. I can see why they would miss something like a drone. This brings in to question some of the sightings flying at 200 MPH trying to land some thing the size of a hotel.

I would think the orange would stand out a little better but I doubt if you would see it because of the size. Small objects are hard to see from the cockpit of a plane. Also when your flying the same height as the object your trying to see the background isn't all sky the object tends to blend with the horizon.
I had a PA 12 and pulled a banner around events. There was generally a lot of traffic and you had to keep your eyes open flying like that even other planes and helicopters are sometimes very hard to see. I can see why they would miss something like a drone. This brings in to question some of the sightings flying at 200 MPH trying to land some thing the size of a hotel.
Good point. The EVO profile head-on is so small...orange would make no difference... When I flew close to the end of the Hilo airport, there’s almost no private aircraft traffic, it’s 95% Hawaiian Air B717’s, and 3% DoD. Not too many flights, easy to hear them coming. The helicopters take a different path. Easy to share the space safely...

Good point. The EVO profile head-on is so small...orange would make no difference... When I flew close to the end of the Hilo airport, there’s almost no private aircraft traffic, it’s 95% Hawaiian Air B717’s, and 3% DoD. Not too many flights, easy to hear them coming. The helicopters take a different path. Easy to share the space safely...
If we had mandatory 400 feet limit for drones and above 400 feet for the rest there would not be a problem the only restrictions would have to be the descent and approach to the landing strips in a perfect world.:)

Reactions: KentA

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo