Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Comparing Evo II Enterprise to Mavic 3 Enterprise for Mapping

yarrr

Reaction score
Earlier this fall I rented a Mavic 3 Enterprise with RTK to compare it to my Autel Evo II Enterprise with RTK.

The project was gathering topography for a roughly 85 acre agricultural site.

A registered land surveyor provided six ground control point, captured with a total station.

My base station for RTK was an Emlid Reach RS2+, connected to our state CORS network. The baseline was approximately 20km. Base position was averaged for 20m. Six check points were also collected with the RS2+, averaged for just over a minute.

Admittedly, the comparison test was not completely identical, but I attempted to generally match the characteristics of the Evo and the Mavic during data collection. Parameters are compared below. In general, I knew that I wanted to complete the data collection in one flight, and I balanced the flight height and image overlap to achieve what SHOULD have been about 70% battery usage in one flight with the Evo- meaning 22 minutes planned flight time.

Temperature was slightly under 40f. Wind was 5-8 mph at the surface.

When doing mission planning for fixed wing UAVs, it's always best practice to have flight lines perpendicular to the wind. I've never viewed this as important for multirotors, but with the Evo, it definitely is. My flight lines were parallel to the wind to minimize turns on a rectangular site, and when flying into a relatively light wind, the Evo just couldn't keep up. Planned speed was 9 m/s, but into the wind actual speed dipped as low as 5 m/s, and probably averaged 6 m/s. Downwind legs maintained 9 m/s. Naturally, the battery drain was higher on the upwind legs, and it was interesting watching the "time remaining" jump around on the upwind and downwind legs.

Despite a flight plan that should have been completed with approximately 30% battery remaining, the Evo got a low battery warning, returned to home early, and landed with 21% remaining. A second flight was required to complete the data collection.

I actually completed two flights with the Mavic. The camera includes a "dewarping" algorithm. The default images are visibly fisheyed, and include black vignettes in each corner. The first flight was with the "Dewarped" setting. Ultimately decided not to use these images for the mapping test, but as a spoiler alert, it didn't seem to make much difference in Pix4d. Flight lines of the dewarped flight were parallel to wind direction. Elapsed time was 19:30, and ending battery percentage was 27%. No noticeable change in speed upwind or downwind.

So, for the Mavic mapping flight, the flight plan was actually rotated 90 degrees (flight lines perpendicular to wind). Elapsed time was 18:52, using nominally 65% of the battery. Speed was speedy! I wrote down that the mission was planned at 19 m/s (42mph), but I see now that the supposed max mission speed is 15 m/s. Regardless, it's moving right along, and seemed to be unaffected by winds aloft.

Evo II E RTKMavic 3 E RTK
Area85 acres85 acres
Planned Flights1.1.
Planned Duration22 minutes16 minutes
Flight Speed9 m/s19 m/s (?)
Actual Flights2.1.
Actual Duration20:50 plus 11:2518:52
Battery percentage at takeoff100%83%
Battery percentage at landing21% and 67%18%
Flight Height76m70m
Camera Mode:Shutter Priority - 1/1250Shutter Priority - 1/1250
GSD1.94cm / 0.76"2.11cm / .83"
Overlap/Sidelap %78/6080/60
Images for mapping724764

On to post processing:
Both datasets were processed in Pix4d. Three GCPs were used for this exercise, remaining points were used as check points.

Initially, the Evo had pretty poor results. I ended up using camera calibrations from other projects, and was able to improve accuracy slightly after several rounds of reoptimization. Quick reminder to always turn on "rolling shutter corrections" in Pix4d with the Evo camera- it is not on by default. The GCPs that I used are underlined below. This orientation was intentional- because it leaves point 105 hanging, and susceptible to error. Interestingly, its error was no worse than the other check points.

The Mavic had noticeably better accuracy results overall, and despite a lower GSD, higher key and match points. I find the reconstruction and image quality to be better than the Evo as well. The results shown below did not include any additional rounds of reoptimization in Pix4d- just a first "rapid" pass, followed by marking of GCP and CPs, followed by "full" keypoints image scale processing.

Note that the table below includes an average error of just the total station collected check points, as the baseline distance was relatively long with the GNSS collected check points.

EDIT: following some reports that Autel doesn't necessarily play well with Pix4d (despite an option to format EXIF data specifically for Pix4d); I decided to run this dataset in Metashape as well. Using the EXIF data and the default settings in Metashape, the results were awful. I suspect the orientation data was being read incorrectly or something similar that made it essentially unusable.

Next, I used Topodrone to PPK the image locations. Resulting image locations were very, very close to the RTK EXIF data. Using the PPK image location data improved the results slightly- worse performance on GCP accuracy, but better on checkpoints than in Pix4d. Still far worse than the Mavic. I also re-ran Metashape with "Highest" aligning accuracy, and key point limits to match Pix4d. In this case, the accuracy was degraded, and was very similar to the Pix4d results.

I'm sure there are tweaks to flight path and camera settings on both systems that could lead to improved quality. Event38 posted some results from the Mavic indicating that at high speeds rolling shutter correction should be used, which I didn't use during my testing. My goal of this test was a simple, real worksite field comparison. I hope this was helpful to other users.

In talking to other Autel owners, it seems that my results may not be representative. Throughout the year, I struggled to get satisfactory accuracy on mapping jobs using Pix4d both and Correlator3d with control and checkpoint data from GNSS and total stations, in a variety of coordinate systems and datums. It is certainly within the realm of possibility that there was something wrong with my particular airframe.

1671559275322.png

Evo II E RTK- Pix4dMavic 3 E RTK- Pix4dEvo II RTK- Metashape
Calibrated Images724 of 724759 of 764724
Keypoints (median)76,19077,60540,000
Matchpoints (median)38,91949,0134,000
GCP 3d RMS Error0.026 foot0.018 foot0.146 foot
Check Point Mean Error (x/y/z)0.447/0.368/0.494 feet0.016/0.007/0.0490.201/0.064/0.155

Evo Report
1671559102469.png

Mavic Report:
1671559074105.png
Autel Report from Metashape
autel meta report.png
Evo Ortho Images:

autel med.png

autel detail.png

Mavic Ortho Images:

dji med.png
dji detail.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DadCorso80
Thanks for the comparison. The Evo2 didn't even provide survey precise results in your test. I use Metashape and not Pix4d but achieve survey accuracy with the Evo2. I have not used the M3E but regularly use a P4RTK and results are similar between the 2. So, I'm not sure what went wrong with the Evo in your test. I have read other reports of problems with the Evo2 when processing with Pix4d, so that may be where the problem comes from.

It will probably be sufficient in it's next mission, though! :D

btw, you have the spreadsheet labeled as both being the Evo2.

Reactions: yarrr
Thanks for the comparison. The Evo2 didn't even provide survey precise results in your test. I use Metashape and not Pix4d but achieve survey accuracy with the Evo2. I have not used the M3E but regularly use a P4RTK and results are similar between the 2. So, I'm not sure what went wrong with the Evo in your test. I have read other reports of problems with the Evo2 when processing with Pix4d, so that may be where the problem comes from.

It will probably be sufficient in it's next mission, though! :D

btw, you have the spreadsheet labeled as both being the Evo2.

Throughout the year I questioned the Evo, and did informal comparisons between the Evo and other Pixhawk/Reach powered systems. It is certainly possible that there was an issue with my particular airframe/camera. I struggled a lot to get accurate results in Correlator3d and WebODM also. At some point, perhaps I'll run a comparison of this dataset in those programs as well.

Although I will not be doing very precise positioning for Search and Rescue per your results, I have a question. I have an Autel Evo 2 V1 thermal that I occasionally use for mapping of a search area. I am about to buy a Mavic 3 Thermal for SAR use and occasional mapping. My question at my level would you see a major difference between mapping for our needs in SAR.

Although I will not be doing very precise positioning for Search and Rescue per your results, I have a question. I have an Autel Evo 2 V1 thermal that I occasionally use for mapping of a search area. I am about to buy a Mavic 3 Thermal for SAR use and occasional mapping. My question at my level would you see a major difference between mapping for our needs in SAR.
Not my area of expertise, but I suspect you wouldn't notice a major difference between the two. The larger screen on the Evo Smart Controller might be a benefit.

From Drone Deploy, NO GCPs or Checks

M3E vs EVO RTK

Attachments

• EVO 2.jpg
    EVO 2.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 32
  • InkedEVO.jpg
    InkedEVO.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 30
  • M3E 2.jpg
    M3E 2.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 32
  • InkedM3E.jpg
    InkedM3E.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 29
ORTHO Screenshots from EVO and M3E same home to different time frames.

Attachments

• M3E.jpg
    M3E.jpg
    889.8 KB · Views: 41
  • EVO RTK.jpg
    EVO RTK.jpg
    922 KB · Views: 39
I understand that These were just a quick series of shoots with the M3E, and just pointing out what the software thought of it.
This is by no means a real test. Time was limited with the M3E

I have done a lot of testing with the EVO RTK with GCPs and Checks starting 2 years ago, using meta shape and PIX, and DD.
It's all on here... the forums
The EVO has proven to be very accurate, and so far so has the M3E
I have seen some cases with the V2, where it seemed the drone itself was bad.

Thank you very much for the tests. It's tests and feedback from our members that help us all.

I am thinking maybe this is a lens parameter problem. Maybe the lens parameters are so far from what Pix4D has for its default values. These are mass produced cameras.

When I get results like this I try this approach.

Fly a mission at the altitude you most often fly at.
Load the area with double the amount of properly spaced GCPs
Add in your normal number of Check Points.
Process.
Save the lens parameters and I like to name it the date and altitude.
Use this saved lens parameter file to process in the future. It gives the software a better starting point in image alignment in terms of default lens parameters.

I currently let Metashape use the lens parameters from DJI for my Phantom 4 RTK and have found success doing so.
I do question question this profile though as time goes on since it can change.

Going a tad off subject, I am really interested in the Mavic 3 Multi Spectral.
This could expand someone into Precision Agr AND allow you the same mapping ability as the Mavic 3 Enterprise since the Mavic 3 M also had the large sensor mechanical shutter.

One thing is for sure, there are plenty of choices out there for mapping right now. Choose the right tool for your use case, learn how to use the tool and then own it.

Thank you very much for the tests. It's tests and feedback from our members that help us all.

I am thinking maybe this is a lens parameter problem. Maybe the lens parameters are so far from what Pix4D has for its default values. These are mass produced cameras.

Thanks for the comment. I did go through the process you mentioned extensively with Correlator3d and Pix4d. Below is a site I set up- over 20 total points within a 40 acre site, used in various combinations for GCPs and CPs with flights at various altitudes.

calibration.JPG

Reactions: jmason702
I am prepared weather permitting, to do a one-on-one test between the EVO RTK and the M3E RTK

weather sucks right now

On the M3E I have to make two missions to do a cross-hatch or go through the 5-point mapping mission, which is stupid

Ok , I did a test on the M3E vs EVO RTK V1
same area, 150 AGL, 14 MPH, 80/70 overlap, kept everything as close as I could, and I got 4 points. I set up my base and collected a known point, then put it in manual ( to simulate having no NTRIP, like I already had a known point) Sat on the point for 15 min. then put it in manual. Then I used my RS+ as a rover to collect the 4 points getting a FIX from RS2 and the M3E and EVO RTK as the rover flying FIX the entire mission. I did a cross-hatch for both drones with elevation optimization on. Had to do two flights with the M3E due to no cross hatch and only on the last flight did the elevation optimization. Here are the 2 flights with the points and everything included in the folders. Feel free to process. I will share my results from DD when done.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo