Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Dissapointed with my Evo range

My only comment would be anything over a mile is impossible to keep in visual range, as we are all required to do, does it matter that much?

Last week, I got the chance to see an Inspire drone shooting a marketing video. I asked the pilot what he likes in a drone. Range never was mentioned. He wanted precise control, ease & consistency of flying specific routes. Even flight time wasn’t a big deal after 25-30 minutes. To be fair, compared to our flying, these shoots are well planned and therefore pretty short — less than 10 minutes...

My only comment would be anything over a mile is impossible to keep in visual range, as we are all required to do, does it matter that much?

Last week, I got the chance to see an Inspire drone shooting a marketing video. I asked the pilot what he likes in a drone. Range never was mentioned. He wanted precise control, ease & consistency of flying specific routes. Even flight time wasn’t a big deal after 25-30 minutes. To be fair, compared to our flying, these shoots are well planned and therefore pretty short — less than 10 minutes...
I would add that a guy flying a Inspire 2 likely doesn't think about range at all since he has it in spades. Drone range is not just about flying far away. It is mostly about never loosing signal at a inopportune moment. Behind objects or flying low to water. Losing signal at off axis angles is also improved greatly in DJI products. With the Evo you pretty much have to always point your antennas at the drone even at short distances. The Evo is an improvement over the XSP signal wise but still way far behind a lot of DJI drones.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
DJI is better in getting farther out however the EVO kills it in get HIGHER. 2600ft AGL makes it a good mountain explorer\search drone. You cant do that with DJi since the software will limit your altitude and the max setting that you can accomplish is 500m about 1000 ft less than the Evo.

Reactions: Evo77
hi to everyone, im new to the evo, come from mavic zoom, and i have to say i knew it was one step behind mavic 2 in overall quality, what im really surprised is the little range it has in a city! around 450 meters it automatically disconnects and returns home! tried 5 and smooth, i have less range! also i took it 550 meters over me and lost signal! honestly a mavic air which i use to have, had a little more range! any had this issues? alejandro from autel told me its because of the city environment. btw im in buenos aires argentina
Get a 4Hawks antenna. I have win out over 6500 m with the antenna and only came back because of the battery.

Get a 4Hawks antenna. I have win out over 6500 m with the antenna and only came back because of the battery.
thanks but im not into modding my drone! im no technician,and for that i buy a mavic zoom!

I have a question

IF you lose signal ...is it within the Evo's design to RTH automatically ?

I have not ventured far with my Evo because of my location...NYC

I will be in the Adirondack Mountains area of NY this summer ...nothing but wide open space

IF i am out far..a mile or more,i lose a signal Will it do an auto return to home ?

Thanks All

I have a question

IF you lose signal ...is it within the Evo's design to RTH automatically ?

I have not ventured far with my Evo because of my location...NYC

I will be in the Adirondack Mountains area of NY this summer ...nothing but wide open space

IF i am out far..a mile or more,i lose a signal Will it do an auto return to home ?

Thanks All
yes, as soon as it disconnects, returns to home, dont worry! when its near enough you will be able to control it again, remember to press the pause button long enough for the RTH to cancel

Reactions: Edwinpilot
hi to everyone, im new to the evo, come from mavic zoom, and i have to say i knew it was one step behind mavic 2 in overall quality, what im really surprised is the little range it has in a city! around 450 meters it automatically disconnects and returns home! tried 5 and smooth, i have less range! also i took it 550 meters over me and lost signal! honestly a mavic air which i use to have, had a little more range! any had this issues? alejandro from autel told me its because of the city environment. btw im in buenos aires argentina

Had I not had my head up my a** I could have gone further, as you can see signal was acquired as soon as bird rose, do realize this is a very busy residential/commercial area with massive wi-fi volume everywhere around you.

hi to everyone, im new to the evo, come from mavic zoom, and i have to say i knew it was one step behind mavic 2 in overall quality, what im really surprised is the little range it has in a city! around 450 meters it automatically disconnects and returns home!

Are your antennas oriented correctly?

Reactions: aed1980
Are your antennas oriented correctly?
hi, yeah! didnt try yet pointing them downwards, but yes, try everything! also tried, 5 10 20, and different types of transmission settings! what do you use?

DJI is better in getting farther out however the EVO kills it in get HIGHER. 2600ft AGL makes it a good mountain explorer\search drone. You cant do that with DJi since the software will limit your altitude and the max setting that you can accomplish is 500m about 1000 ft less than the Evo.
A simple parameter mod can eliminate that 500m height limitation on any DJI aircraft, except the Mavic 2, and that will be fixed shortly.

Mine doesn't get that far either, without having to start adjusting antennas. As soon as my drone gets back to me, I'm modding them with something better. Ocusync is miles ahead of whatever Autel uses.
You might not need to mod it. Range test after the antenna replacement by Autel resulted in over 3 mile range with FPV video. However, upon heading back because of the battery, signal was lost, RTH began, and telemetry continued to be displayed without ANY FPV for over 5 minutes! something odd going on! FPV video was not restored until I remembered how to cancel RTH with the Pause button. Weird!

hi, yeah! didnt try yet pointing them downwards, but yes, try everything! also tried, 5 10 20, and different types of transmission settings! what do you use?

Smooth and 5 are recommended. Antennas down will be necessary to attach any wind surfer, but you will need a windsurfer design that won't fall off with gravity. They make some that use rubber bands for resistance that I just received.

A simple parameter mod can eliminate that 500m height limitation on any DJI aircraft, except the Mavic 2, and that will be fixed shortly.
You do not need to hack the EVO. Question, if you hack your DJI does it void the warranty?

thanks, yeah will try that! im surprised nobody complains about city range! but i guess wifi is no match for occusync! dont like dji btw!
Haven't pushed my evo to the limits, max that I been out is ~1.5 miles (no disconnects). I had P3 Pro before. One think I definitely can tell that evo has much better/stronger range, for my P3 Pro the limiting thing was range for evo it is battery.
Few things I don't like about evo are: sloooooow, cant turn off gps mode and still images ar marginal quality.

Reactions: Madhungarian
Haven't pushed my evo to the limits, max that I been out is ~1.5 miles (no disconnects). I had P3 Pro before. One think I definitely can tell that evo has much better/stronger range, for my P3 Pro the limiting thing was range for evo it is battery.
Few things I don't like about evo are: sloooooow, cant turn off gps mode and still images ar marginal quality.
I would like to fly ATTI mode by choice. If it flies slow, you should try turning off your obstacle sensors, also there was someone else that had an issue with the speed only going 5 mph forward, they returned it and the other one was fine.

Reactions: Nightbat2
I would like to fly ATTI mode by choice. If it flies slow, you should try turning off your obstacle sensors, also there was someone else that had an issue with the speed only going 5 mph forward, they returned it and the other one was fine.
Good thought on "turning off the obstacle sensors".
I wish that obstacle sensors could be turned off once for all flights. Currently I have to turn them off for every flight, little annoying.

I modded my Evo RC to accept the Titan Drones amped antenna system. It was easy peazy.
With this setup you can take off the front panel, which has the amps and battery, and just connect the antenna directly.
20190306_155348.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: AussieCate
No problem with range on EVO over non-congested wifi area. See recent 4 mile out 8 mi total flight (still with full signal when I turned around) - telematics included. Yes you will get weak signal at times but signal bounces right back (never adjusted antenna from takeoff to full range). Point antenna down and put onto tripod pointed direction of flight. Even rigged something to hold throttle forward so I could just pay attention to flight and telematics (see pic below). I do this at night with strobes attached to keep vlos whole time - this once did during day to record the journey.

Attachments

• received_399187100980517.png
    received_399187100980517.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 21

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Evo1jg