Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Do you regret buying an Autel and think you should have bought MP2?

Not a chance, I'm very happy with my choice, in fact I have my fingers crossed for a 1" sensor EVO and looking forward to see what Auto does with it because I'm not impressed with what DJI did with the "Hasselblad"

Reactions: tdhart and mamanes
Looking at the MP2 and the Evo (if I had to choose today) I would still pick the Evo. It might lag here or there (range would be the big one), but it is significantly cheaper (you can get the equivalent of a fly more combo for a grand if you shop smart with the Evo) and you can fly where you want.

Where I live, the Evo with two batts is around a thousand bucks cheaper than a similarly kitted M2. Doubt that NFZs are worth the extra :)

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
The Evo is more cheaper and have an outstanding camera that even the xdynamics evolve drone that cost $2500 can't beat the Evo's camera.

Reactions: NovicePilot
All I want is an add-on for my Evo for lateral obstacle avoidance. :)

All I want is an add-on for my Evo for lateral obstacle avoidance. :)

I would agree with you on this... but didn't think of the 'add on' method... that would definitely sway a lot of buyers from DJI M2.

Please keep the input coming... Autel will appreciate the feedback.

I use both and to be fair they're both pretty good at different things.

Evo excel in price, reasonable camera performance, 4k60, in-screen RC, no NFZ and higher altitude limits.

MP2 excels in larger sensor (may not necessarily translate to better quality unless you tinker in post), more granular camera controls (shutter, aperture etc) better signal quality, 360 OA, more readily available, larger aftermarket accessory range - It also cost nearly $500USD more.

In the end you need to decide which one best fit your budget and needs.

My only regrets on the Evo is parts availability out here and the RC build quality (internal fan longevity, Antenna joints) is a little questionable.

Last edited:
No regrets here. I can't deal with a co-ownership situation of my done, I bought it, I don't want to have to deal with a company who still thinks they own it.

The only thing the mav has that I'd like is a longer range, but even saying that, I've never gone to the furthest extent of my Evos range, its waaay beyond LOS... but it would be cool to have Occusync 2.0 range if ever needed.

100% happy with my EVO, and after reading about several MP2's falling out of the sky I am sure I made the right decision.

100% happy with my EVO, and after reading about several MP2's falling out of the sky I am sure I made the right decision.
I don't keep up on dji news... is this something that's happened enough to look like a wide spread issue with the design or is it more along the lines of people getting used to a new feature on a new bird and screwing it up causing this to happen?

We bought a couple EVOs for the company. We had initially purchased M2P's but the lens issues DJI claimed normal and other issues had us return them. That was nearly 4 grand for a pair of M2P FMC's. We already had 2 P4P's, MP's as well. Was unsure the Evo would do as well as it has. It is our go to drone. The app is solid, the aircraft is well made and performs nicely. The camera is comparable if not better than the P4P. Video quality to me is better than the M2P's we had which we had to really work more to get a natural appearance. Great if you prefer exaggerated contrast and color.

I also purchased my own Evo after flying the ones at work. DJI locks out a lot of areas we need to fly. Many times rural and nothing near a NFZ but some airport is marked anyway. We used to wait hours for an approval code. Now we just put the Evo up, do the job, and get out. You can fly with oru without a tablet or phone. I like that!! See something you want to quickly shoot, it's faster with Evo than most drones I have flown. Connectivity on Evo is also very good and stable. I've had many flights I thought I'd get disconnected, and it never did. Like other drone users, I'm sure results vary there too.

I am not biased when it comes to drones. I use many of them. Anafi, MP, P4P, Spark, Evo, Hubsan, Syma, and other home made sport quads. What sets the Evo apart for me are a few things. The quality in video, ease of flight, (super fast to get in the air) app that works without issues after issues (cough Go4 sucks cough). Build quality is what I expect at each price level. IOW, for $899 Evo I don't expect build quality of one brand of drone to another brand $500 or more in price. That's just being crazy. That said, Evo shocks me with it's build quality and overall stabilization.

Meh to OA. I never use it. I find it a hindrance on any flight. I also don't fly around trees and cross my fingers that OA will work. I scout the area I fly for problems and avoid those problems. My camera work is almost always manual and custom settings, so I care less about auto modes, AWB etc, again that gets in the way more than it does help, especially with changing daylight, partly cloudy days where the sun peaks in and out. Manual mode for me.

Evo has a more impressive wider FOV and the focus all around is great. The 4K60 is super smooth. One drawback is in a few months you can fill an 4TB external drive when shooting at that spec. Good thing Ext drives are cheaper and now 3.0 or faster.

Coming from DJI or Anafi or Typhoon, the Evo sticks are different. You have to finesse them a bit more than others, but that can be a good thing. I know guys that fly DJI is hyper EXP modes that really have a tough time transitioning. It's muscle memory, and you will adapt.

That's an interesting question. I would say you will find the answer to be a resounding no.. You are on an Autel page. I just picked up an EVO for $650 with an extra battery. After the X-star BS I said I would never buy again from Autel. I went back and forth on Mavic 2 Pro and Evo. Bought a new M2P w /SmartController $$$ and then found a deal on a used EVO. Couldn't pass it up. I won't comment on the Mavic, there is another page for that but I feel I have the best of both worlds. A primary and a secondary. I use one for my PRO work, take more chances with the EVO it's simple and just works. Replacing an EVO is relatively cheap.

I've been a huge Autel fan for years. Have had an Evo since day 1, and recently purchased an M2Z. Then I got an M2P cam, and swapped it on.

The M2's are incredible machines. They cost more, and are worth it. Tons of features, and rock solid in the air. I don't have NFZ issues, and know where I'm flying before I go out.

If I could have just one, it would be M2Z. Fantastic daytime camera results, and the optical zoom is more useful than I thought it would be. Low light is on par with Evo.

Nope! Don't regret it at all and it would be my first choice if I had to do it over. That's not saying that one day I won't own an Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom or newer better drone some day tho!!

So, what do you want to do and how much are you willing to spend? Are you good enough, or dedicated enough, to make full use of the tools that you pay for? The camera is not going to make you a great photographer. Lot's of people buy great cameras but still shoot colorful crappy pictures.
DJI and Autel make completely different aircraft. Both provide good video product. They function differently from each other. Learn what you want to do and how you want to do it. Choose the one that fits you best. DJI is a better system for serious photographers. They were designed to be, but they are not without their own set of issues, the worst of which is the manufacturer demanding they retain ownership and control after the sale.
Everything has trade offs and each has to decide what's most important to them while also recognizing what they are capable of and how far they want to go with what they are doing.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xander0791