Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Drone Hits Blackhawk Helicopter

It was bound to happen, someone must be nervous in their boots.

Reading all the posts about this on the facebook page "UAV Legal News & Discussion"

Lots of people saying it is fake news.
Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

That's a pretty significant chunk of blade it took out...even at the high speeds of rotation would the plastic really do that much damage? That plus the "500 Feet " elevation make want to wonder now.

I meant more the drone pilot being above 400 ft...especially in NYC area.

This could very well be fake news. Someone who look into a lot of this stuff posted this.

" There are a number of items yet unresolved with this story. I literally just spoke on the phone with the person who broke the story a few hours ago. Details that were provide are as yet unverified and quite suspect. Here is more information key to this story: The claim was that the Blackhawk (titanium rotors) was in flight at approximate 500' AGL over the IFR / VFR corridor above the Hudson near Coney Island (JFK ATC) around 7-8pm yesterday evening and was among 3 other blackhawks. They were being used to transport VIPs for the UN conference. This is within the 30 mile VIP TFR. Four occupants and the chief crew member saw a drone hit the side of the aircraft and bounce upward into the rotor. The portion of the drone (appears to be the arm of a DJI Phantom 4 Pro neatly severed) was discovered upon landing in an engine area. The claim is made that NYPD, Secret Service, and others were notified and looking for the pilot. Claim further is that the damage is $200k to the rotor alone. What we don't have yet is confirmation of ANY collision investigation by NTSB / FAA, no police scanner verification of a call out to look for an operator (that work is underway currently), no ATC conversation (we are currently listening to hours of archived ATC materials out of JFK to confirm), and no news story other than this one that was created hours after the photos were posted on facebook tagging known anti-drone helicopter operators who work for NY media companies.

In other words, stay tuned, and don't necessarily buy in. Your help may be needed for listening to ATC recordings - LiveATC.net has archives that we need to pour through."

Reactions: Tommy Molnar
Yeah, just look at that guy...of course he is going to take advantage of some fake news to promote his product.

Reactions: KentA
if it has to do with the military I call ******** fake!!! they either did it to them selfs to help push thru ******** legislation...or to sell more guns??? it means they were below 400ft

That reads like the drone operator was not violating any rules and the Army was operating outside of standard protocols. Can't wait to see the outcome...

In reality, I don't think I was close to hitting a helicopter, but a few days ago I definitely got way too close for comfort. I was on a state beach in California and as soon as I heard a loud engine I immediately started descending, until I realzied the helictoper was already making a turn below my XSP! It kind of came out of now where (behind the cliffs I guess? I like to think I'm very attentive to these things, but this really shocked me. I was flying at 375ft too so I was very surprised :/

Reactions: BobPA

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain